Lack of ground work in most kung fu

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by SifuJason, Aug 1, 2007.

1. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Ok, again....what are you talking about?

I have at no point in this thread stated that Korpys ground fighting is or is not BJJ or Sambo or Judo. In fact, thats my point to Cullion that any discussion around how common or indeed uncommon ground fighting was historically should be kept to the period before ground fighting became 'popular' and started to (for want of a better word) contaminate other styles.

If you find the bit on this thread where I said that Korpys KF has ground fighting not gained from a third party please post it.
    The fact that I went through a long string of posts with Cullion where I constantly argued why KF doesn’t have ground fighting should have been a clue! But I guess that only counts for the people who read threads rather than just do a search for there names!

Again.....what are you talking about?

At no point did I say or imply that you said BJJ was the 'be all and end all'. What I did say (to my point above) is that if we start talking about KF, or Karate or a random folk style of grappling having ground fighting in the modern era, then you will just come on and say something equating to: 'they just picked that up from BJJ, Judo,Sambo', hence we should keep any claim to a style having submission fighting (or in fact submission fighting being common) to the period where styles could not cross propergate easly.

But if you can find the part on this thread where I said that you belive BJJ is the be all and end all then please quote me.

I hope (after surmising the whole thread for the lazy) it is clearer now that you are wrong and why. If you still disagree, well you know where I will be on Sunday! Or you can offer me out in a professional Muay Thai fight.....but not in October as that’s my Cage Rage debut:woo:!

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Roflmao

1996 called and wants their post back. News flash. Shou Shu does not have a good name on this board because a bunch of your members came on here talking a bunch of ish.

All of what you just said is BS. You can't effectively eye gouge or bite someone who is mounted on you, and even if you do, you've just escalated that fight somewhere you don't want to go. If you try to eye gouge a guy who has you mounted, and that person can hold you down, you are fixing to get your head slammed into the ground, your face rubbed into the concrete, and horrible horrible things done to your unconscious body.

At least that's what I would do if someone tried to eye gouge me while I had them mounted.

3. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

LOL. Yeah Yohan I would have to agree for the most part when dealing with an experienced grappler. But if not and someone has mounted you, popping an eye out a socket can take the fight out of someone. I've seen it happen, it's not a pretty sight, bad pun aside.
    There are many dirty tactics that can send pain to someone who is pushing their weight on you, sometimes just enough to get back on your feet to whatever comfort zone you would prefer. You just better hope that the person your fighting isn't a vicious son of a bitch who can grapple cause then like Yohan states...the terrible acts while your unconscious could be just too much to bear:eek:

4. Black Armor

Black Armor I want your centerline!

I was hoping some of the bad apples of the past would be let go now. I haven't been on the board in quite some time and wanted to interact about martial arts a little bit. Its too bad you can't get past some of the remarks made in the past.

But in regards to your comments, I wasn't referencing an eye gouge, I was referencing shoving my finger deep in your eye and not letting it out til your off me.. Its been proven to be quite successful and the scream you get from that person is something you won't forget.

you said: and even if you do, you've just escalated that fight somewhere you don't want to go. If you try to eye gouge a guy who has you mounted, and that person can hold you down, you are fixing to get your head slammed into the ground, your face rubbed into the concrete, and horrible horrible things done to your unconscious body.

im fixing for that to happen? What did he plan on doing originally??? You say if he has me mounted and I can't get out of it... well of course i'm in trouble then... But for once lets say I am able to keep him off balance with his attempt and I do switch things around... you see, I am not naive (sp), I've been doing my homework and training against ground attacks.. but I guess that makes no difference because I study Shou Shu... I guess it doesn't make a difference that I've been in numerous street fights prior to shou shu and use the same tactics to get someone off me... or have many friends that fight on a consistant basis and know about everyone learning something now a days and we got to be on our A game...

Please, I'm not here to debate with you about styles, the question was about being taken to the ground and knowing kung fu... The drills I referenced about sand bags, kettlebells and such are taken from a drill for ground fighters.. I thought it was quite applicable to real fighting and added it into my training.. it works great...

5. Baichi

Baichi Valued Member

Oh brother... :rolleyes:

6. Black Armor

I am in full agreement about the fighter being a vicious one and what he'll do if you can't pull it off, but I don't think i'm a pushover either. I've been the bad guy as well as the good guy in some extreme full on application fights in the last 4 years. I've been knocked unconcious more times than I can count from getting struck in the head and neck.. I have put alot of what I learn to the test. I had put into the original scenario my kids are with me because if anyone is a parent on here, you know that your survival mentality changes to another level when your child is in the scenario..

7. Baichi

Baichi Valued Member

Ah, that explains it then...

8. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

No offense but when you talk about biting your way out from under mount, sticking your finger up into an opponents eye from under mount or elbowing the spine to stop a takedown then that sounds like a lie to me.

I'll grant you that biting someone from under mount might not be completely impossible (Except against a good mount, when it is) and that elbowing the spine might foil ONE type of takedown (Of about twenty that commonly occur in MMA and even then only against BAD Judo and BJJ guys) but seriously, sticking your finger up in to someones eye from under mount? I can promise you that every single person on this thread with more than three months training in Judo, BJJ or Sambo has only one reply to that.

9. Black Armor

I'm sorry, I think i'm being misunderstood. The biting or kneeing segment was regarding a typical street fight. The training drills we've been doing on the weekends was referencing doing my homework. what's your opinion on that part of my comment? The guy I've been referrencing material on ground training is Scott Sonnon, if he isn't any good, let me know so I can research someone else.

10. beknar

beknar Valued Member

Remind me to never spar with you. ;P

11. Shen Yin

Shen Yin Sanda/Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

‘erm, most of what you’re saying, with the whole eye gouging while being under mount, IS complete BS. Unless you’re doing this with an inexperienced partner on top of you, or mostly compliant, this doesn’t sound too realistic at all.

God help you if you ever tried to extend your hand up to gouge me while I’m mounted on you. If this were straight grappling, I’d just armbar you, or worst—a keylock. And if we’re doing complete fighting, Lord knows what kind of poundage would be ‘pon your face.

Man, seriously, go to a submission wrestling school of some sort and get these 1990’s views out of your skull.

12. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

That is the basic idea behind a ground game . . . to keep from being on the bottom and under someone else's control. Are you guys working a ground game?