Kyu Gradings & Randori?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Princess Haru, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I overheard a conversation between a couple of the women at my club about kata, and this went onto contest Randori for kyu gradings. To get your green belt 3rd kyu you needed to defeat 3 orange belts. Is this still practiced in your association?

It's a bit of a moot point for me as there is a very strong orange belt in my club, she defeated a dan grade in the varsity match! but the topic of my next grading was raised by my head instructor and I felt it was too early because I was not doing well in Randori (mostly from lack of partners of equivalent size/weight to develop any throwing skill).

2. righty

righty Valued Member

Depends on the coach. Technically we follow the IJF ranking thingo which states you need a certain number of competition points. And you get competition points by beating people of your rank and higher in comps.

The being said I'm sure your instructor realises how talented that orange belt. Basically the instructor knows best so just trust them.

3. KLavoie

KLavoie New Member

I trainined in Judo for a few years, about 30yrs ago. Our tests were all on just techniques for that belt grade, but that day ended as every training session did with Randori.

4. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

competition points are still what determine early Dan grade gradings, but Randori in class is not scored in competition style for kyu grades in BJA even if you are asked questions on understanding of rules, signals etc in most early kyu grades

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

BJA swapped over to purely technical gradings at kyu level a few years ago.

6. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

I wouldn't know, I have yet to face an orange belt in competition, I train at a bit of an awkward age so I haven't won anything.

7. benkei

benkei Valued Member

Australia is the same as what Righty said. From green belt on you need competition points as well as passing your technical grading. I hope they never take away this requirement - judo is a highly respected style and it is for this very reason. Grades don't come easily and you have to prove yourself beyond just knowing techniques, it's one of the strictest forms of quality control in a world which is sorely lacking them.