Kyokushinkai help

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Jill, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Jill

Jill New Member

Osu! I'm new to the forum. I know a few of you study Kyokushinkai, so I thought I'd ask for some help!

I recently moved (temporarily) to a city that does not have anyone who trains Kyokushinkai. I'm not very advanced, but I'd still like to keep training and practicing my kata so I don't get too rusty. However, I've gotten mixed up on Pinan 1 and I think I've been doing it wrong. Anyone willing to straighten me out, or provide some links to the kata sequences?

Thanks!

2. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Hey Jill, Welcome to MAP :D Nice to see another kyokushinkai karate-ka here, Osu!

Here's a link to a site I highly recommend with Kyokushinkai Kata's on it http://membres.lycos.fr/ekkauby/Les_Katas/katas.html
    The main body of text is in French, but you can find the kata's clearly enough. Its not meant as a direct learning tool, but its more than enough to jog your memory whilst on a training break. These MAY differ from your kata, depending on how the organisation you are with teaches it.

If you get stuck on any element of the kata, you can get in touch with me, or post a question up here for everyone to answer. I'm no expert, but I can try and help.

Kgirl

3. Jill

Jill New Member

Thanks, Kgirl!

The movies on that page didn't work for me, sadly. Rats!

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Try it this way...

Right click the link, and click "Save Target As". Save it to your hard disk, and try and play it in Windows Media Player, or DivX player.

If that fails to work, send me a private message, and I'll try and sort something out for you. I have those videos here.

5. Jill

Jill New Member

Yeah, I tried everything - maybe it's a regional thing; I'm in the US. I have no idea why that would matter but ...?

Even a written sequence would help. I found them in Norwegian, but couldn't get them translated!

6. Adam

Adam New Member

I speak some Norwegian. If you like, I could try and translate it into somewhat understandable English for you if you posted the link, but you should still get some guides with photos of the katas. That would be easier to understand than a lot of Japanese terminology I think.

Give me a holler.

7. paul paterson

paul paterson Valued Member

Osu,

Pinan Sono Ichi:

Start the kata in fudo dachi,

On the command "Hajime" move the left foot at 90 degrees to the left into zenkutsu dachi and block mae gedan barai,

Move forward into right zenkutsu dachi and right chudan oi tsuki,

Move the right foot back 180 degrees into right zenkutsu dachi and block mae gedan barai, Draw the right foot back into neko ashi dachi keeping the hips at the same height and strike right tettsui ganmen uchi (take note: ensure your left arm is brought across the chest in the cover position so that the left fist is placed into your right shoulder, ensure also that the right fist is brought from behind the head and is approximately one fist away from the back of the head),

Before moving into zenkutsu dachi the striking arm is placed into a position similar to chudan tsuki,

Move forward into left zenkutsu dachi and punch left chudan oi tsuki,

Move the left foot at 90 degrees into left zenkutsu dachi and block mae gedan barai,

Move forward into right zenkutsu dachi and block right jodan uke,

Move forward into left zenkutsu dachi and block left jodan uke,

Move forward into right zenkutsu dachi and block right jodan uke and KIAI,

Move the left foot at 90 degrees and pivot on the right foot into left zenkutsu dachi and block mae gedan barai,

Move forward into right zenkutsu dachi and punch chudan oi tsuki,

Move the right foot 180 degrees back into right zenkutsu dachi and block mae gedan barai,

Move the left foot at 90 degrees into zenkutsu dachi and block mae gedan barai,

Move forward into right zenkutsu dachi and punch right chudan oi tsuki,

Move forward into right zenkutsu dachi and punch right chudan oi tsuki and KIAI,

Move left foot at 90 degrees and pivot on the right foot into left zenkutsu dachi and block left yoko shuto mawashi uke,

Move forward at 45 degress into right kokutsu dachi and block right yoko shuto mawashi uke,

Move right foot back 135 degrees into right kokutsu dachi and block yoko mawashi uke,

Move forward at 45 degrees into left kokutsu dachi and block left yoko mawashi uke,

On the command "Naore" move the left foot into fudo dachi to complete the kata.

I hope this has helped you jog your memory Jill, keep practicing and training.

Osu.

Best regards.
    Paul.