KYOKUSHIN - the best karate style ???

Discussion in 'Karate' started by akira2000, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

sorry! i mean when hi was 15...

2. tommy

tommy New Member

He was self exiled to Mount Minotubo to train . First time for 18 months..then again for a year. This is when he didicated his life to Karate.

Combined several styles that he had studied.

I have been training consistently Kylokushin for 7 years, and love the style.

3. MartialArtsSnob

MartialArtsSnob New Member

Using the words Kyokushin-Kai and style in the same sentence is a bit of a stretch. Using the words Kyokushin-Kai and "Run awaaaaaaaaaay" would be closer to the truth.

4. Hiroji

he used to leave all his house windows open in the winter to strengthen his spirit.

5. Hiroji

when he returned from the second trip is that when he did the 100 man kumite??

6. tommy

tommy New Member

No 300 men...over 4 days.

He then realized that it was too much...brought it down to 100 man kumite over 2 days, then ultimately 100 men in 1 day.

To acheive Brown belt staus you must fight 10 men full contact after an 8 hour training session and a 5 mile run. Shoday is a 20 man. If you are over 35 yrs old for shodan it is 10 man

For black belt the testing is as follows:

Thursday night teach class. Friday morning 8am at dojo. Train all day. First 3 hours physical training and basics no break. Lunch break after that. come back and train for 2-3 more hours. Testing in all Katas 25 of them. During this 6 hours of training you are allowed only 3 mistakes.

Sleep at the dojo. Rise on Saturday morning at 6am. Run 5 miles. eat breakfast then teach first half of Saturday morning class. Then the 20 man or 10 man full contact bare knuckle kumite begins. 2 minute rounds.

I hope I never have to go through that again! hahah For Brown belt it is the same thing BTW...only slightly more lenient, and of course several less Kata.

7. Hiroji

gees thats tough going. very demanding. do all kyo dan gradings go this way??

8. tommy

tommy New Member

Hi Hiroji...no Kumite only for green belt and up. Green belt has to fight 5

brown-10 and black-20 (if over 35... 10)

Only brown and Black are 2 day tests.

9. Hiroji

hi thanx. i really like kyokushin. I whish there was one in my area i would defo do it. To me it sounds like what karate should be all about.

10. BuRyu

BuRyu New Member

It is no secret that he is Korean. But this does not mean anything. Being a Japanese is not a requirement to be able to appreciate the real meaning of Bushido (though it surely helps). Bushido is universal. Besides, he dedicated himself to Japan and he himself felt more Japanese than many of the real Japanese, if this means anything to you.

It is also correct that he killed a person. After that he considered quitting martial arts. He secluded himself to a farm and worked twice more than regular farm workers to be able to support/afford for the family of the man that he killed.

Regards,

BuRyu
    武流

11. MartialArtsSnob

MartialArtsSnob New Member

Tell that to Peter Urban! I am sure that he would appreciate the vote of confidence!

Snob

12. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i think kyokushin has the best overall system of any karate style i have encountered. while they have kata etc they also place a lot of emphasis on good old foot to ass sparring and hard physical training. you dont see many out of shape kyokushinkai.

13. Hiroji

Yep your right. its what i thaught karate would be all about before i started. You seem to slag karate off alot Ikken, what do you think is the main problems? do you think its just a lack of full contact fights in most styles? by that i mean full KOs not knockdowns as in kyokushin.

14. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

The main problem of karate these days...are the same problems every art suffers.

Most dojos do not have conditioning, do not have sparring and have too much kata for their own good.

kyokushin however encourages conditioning and sparring that rival many muay thai schools.

15. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

to be honest, i tend to class KK and its offshoots like seidokan different from most other karate styles. I have yet to see a KK class that doesnt involve good hard training, full contact sparring (most kk schools will use gloves so they can do headshots, as well as traditional bare knuckle) and no nonsense SD techniques. They use kata and while I am not a big fan of it myself, I feel it is much more effective for people who train full contact than people who only point spar.

16. Hiroji

Yes it was the Oyama dojo that accepted the challenge to fight muay thai. sending 3 fighters 2 returned winners of there fights. Tadashi Nakamura was one of the winners returning home as thai boxing champ. he founded the Seido karate and runs that now.

17. tommy

tommy New Member

I love all this postive talk about kyokushin. I have studied 2 other styles before Kyokushin, but with Kyokushin I found the a style that encompassed most of the elements of the art I was seeking. i would like a little more grappling but there is only so much time during a class.

Traditional Kyokushin does have some grappling and self defense (holds and escapes etc), but there is not as much going on anymore. I am fortunate that I have been able to train at many Kyokushin dojos during my travels, and have found this to be the case. Mas Oyama was a Judoka too so he had incorporated some of that in the beginning.

18. CobraMaximus

CobraMaximus Banned Banned

I dunno much about what this guy is like but if he versed some of the champs from my style of karate I think he would probably find himself seriously damaged :|

19. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

err cobra... Mas Oyama was one of the most exceptional fighters ever. the champs from your style of karate would probably last until his first punch (thats about how long most people did) before they got koed. he wrestled over 40 bulls and WON. and he trained some of the few fighters to beat muay thai fighters. not only that but he trained in judo with kimura.... badassness by association.

20. powerof0ne

powerof0ne Valued Member

40 bulls????

I don't know if the number was quite that high..It has been a while since I've read up on Oyama but I do know that he was maimed very bad in one of his infamous bull fights. I stated in a previous thread that not all Kyokushin clubs/dojos maintain a high standard of bareknuckle/knockdown kumite. I respect Kyokushin a lot so I'm not going to put the names of the clubs/dojo out there but I'm sure there are other KK clubs/dojo that teach a "watered down" cirriculum. The first Kyokushin club I ever visited is something I'll never forget. I was approached by a shodan female and she asked if I had any previous martial art experience. First thing I told her was my muay thai experience and she asked me what muay thai was. I was actually pretty surprised that she didn't know; everyone else present did. Anyway the class consisted of warmups, kata, and practicing some basic judo. I talked to a few of the people and found out about two of them seemed to compete in intl. level tournaments and the rest seemed to shy away from competition. I was pretty surprised because of the stigma usually associated with KK being this "ultimate karate". I'm sure that most of the KK clubs/dojo would put this one to shame in terms of having students that were tough and loved to compete. I'm just saying that not all KK clubs/dojo are what you would expect; it's pretty much like that for every martial art/style. Another thing I would like to point out is there are different Kyokushin Organizations with different standards on the belt levels. I'm not sure which org. you belong to Tommy but I'm going to guess one of the IKOs, probably IKO1. There are so many KK organizations out there that I can't even remember the names of half of them. There is a big political dispute within KK with the so-called inheritor of KK and many law suits by other high ranking practitioners over the logo/name/insignia of KK.
    What I do know however is that KK has some of the best "big men" in terms of kicking ability. Just look at Kenji Yamaki, Dolph Lundgren, Filho, Feitosa, Pettas kicking. Yes, I said Dolph Lundgren :)