KYOKUSHIN - the best karate style ???

Discussion in 'Karate' started by akira2000, Oct 31, 2004.

1. akira2000

akira2000 Valued Member

According to historical facts, Masutatsu Oyama has defeated masters of all
    other karate styles. Does this means that kyokushin is the most ultimate karate style ???

2. Adam

Adam New Member

Nope. It means that Mas Oyama was a total badass.
    Kyokushin's a good style though.

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

You are talking about a person there, not a style.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

MASTERS of ALL styles of Karate?

{{Guffaw}}

Historical FACTS?

Ahem... are you sure?

Names / dates / locations / outcomes please.

5. morphus

morphus Doobrey

I've heard of someone(quite a young guy)who put 'Mas' on his butt. Mind you he did then get up & kick the crap out him.

6. akira2000

akira2000 Valued Member

You can read bibliography, or you can just watch the movie about
    master's life "Fighter in the wind" (very cool movie).

7. YODA

Not good enough.

I've seen the movie and I have the book.

Before I believe it I'd like to see substantiated evidence of each bout with MASTERS of EVERY style of Karate :rolleyes:

Oyama was no doubt a great Karateka and made a huge contribution to the MA world - but this sort of hyped up myth does the man and his art a disservice.

8. YODA

Here's a list of SOME of the Karate styles to help you compile your list of Oyama fights...

Ashihara
    Okinawa Te
    Shorin-Ryu (Matsumura)
    Chinto-Ryu
    Ryokukai
    Shorinji Kempo
    Chito-Ryu
    Ryukyu Kempo
    Shorinji-Ryu
    Doshinkan
    Sanzyu-Ryu
    Shoshin-Ryu
    Gohaku-Kai
    Seido
    Shotokai
    Goju-Ryu (Kanzen)
    Seidokan
    Shotokan
    Goju-Ryu (Okinawan)
    Seishin-Ryu
    Shotoshinkai
    Goju-Ryu (Meibukan)
    Shindo Jinen-Ryu
    Shudokai
    Gosoku-Ryu
    Shinjimasu
    Shuri-Ryu
    Isshin-Ryu
    Shinko-Ryu
    Shuri-Te
    Kenseido
    ****o-Ryu (Itosu-Kai)
    Uechi-Ryu
    Koei-Kan
    ****o-Ryu (Seishinkai)
    Wado-Kai
    Kosho-Ryu
    Kempo ****o-Ryu (Kofukan)
    Wado-Ryu
    Kenpo
    ****o-Ryu (Kuniba Ha)
    Washin-Ryu
    ****o-Ryu (Motobu Ha)
    Yoseikan
    Kyu Shin Ryu
    Shorin-Ryu (Kobayashi)
    Yoshukai
    Motobu-Ryu
    Shorin-Ryu (Matsubayashi)
    Yuishinkan
    Okinawan Kempo
    Shorin-Ryu (Shobayashi)

9. akira2000

akira2000 Valued Member

I'm not talking about new karate styles, I'm talking about classic karate styles
    For example, if we are talking about okinawian karate classic styles, there are
    ONLY 4.

10. YODA

Whatever.

Like I said - he was a great man but people like you do him and his art a disservice by thumping your chest like this.

11. Dojo

Dojo Shotokan fanatic

He was good and Kyokushin is a powerful style, still I don't think we should let mythology lead us. We need palpable facts and we should remember a style is good or not because of its qualities, not because of a single man, even if we are talking about a great one. We'll come to discuss about what the style has got to offer and what do we need from it. A good style is good if the practitioner finds answers to his questions and needs, not because the style was lead by an extraordinary or not man.
    For some peopla Kyokushin is the right style. They are practicing it and find out it has got all they need. For them, yes, it's the best style. Others would like another approach and they've got other needs. For them it doesn't matter how good Mas Oyama was or how well received is the Kyokushin style. It's just not what they need.
    Before thinking about tops and clasification, let's not forget we are different, we train for distinct reasons, we have limited choices when we want to pursue training in a certain style and many many other reasons.

To call a style the best or the worst is kinda hard and we can't do it without leaving aside a lot of reasoning. My 2 leis :D

12. tommy

tommy New Member

I agree...no ONE style can be called "best". What does "best" connote? Who is the strongest, toughest, fastest, most fearless...???

There are many different styles, but most have one common theme...to help the individual become the best person they can be through dedication to the marial arts budo.

13. akira2000

akira2000 Valued Member

There is such thing as a better style. For example, kickboxing is a superset
    of boxing (its boxing + extra tools). So kickboxing is a better style. The same
    goes with muai-thai vs kickboxing. muai-thai is a super-set of kickboxing.
    Or for example, why one with katana have much more chance than one with knife.
    If style is not important, why good karateka without any knowledge in wrestling will almost always lose to middle karateka that also knows judo???

Conclusion is, that we CAN and we MUST compare styles. It can be done by doing statistics of real fights or by compering tools each style offers.

14. BuRyu

BuRyu New Member

I believe that Kyokushin is a very effective system which contains strong breaking techniques and superb full contact kumite. It is my personal choice among other Karate ryu.

Oyama Sensei was an extremely strong master who studied many disciplines and confined himself to seclusion to systemize kyokushin. He fought against bulls in many occasions at different locations and was able to kill the bull with blows on its head. I don`t support killing animals this way, but I believe it accurately illustrates how intense and strong his technique was.

Regards,

BuRu
    武流

15. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

i agree with the first reply, it only proves that mas oyama was a "total badass"

16. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

Its all down to the practitioner, he can learn all the moves in the book but if he lacks speed, strength, footwork etc etc etc then he will not be able to use those techniques properly. :)

17. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Oh no... Now this thread's gonna get ugly...
    By your definition, a good boxer will always lose to a good kickboxer, a good kickboxer will always lose to a good thai-boxer. This is not so, and combat sports such as K-1 and MMA have shown us this. It's not what style you train in that makes a great fighter, it's who you are and how you train. I agree that Kyokushin is a powerful style and most of the time someone from this style will beat someone who does another karate style. Why? Not because Kyokushin, at its core is just plain better, but because of the WAY in which they train
    As has been said. Oyama didn't beat however many people he beat because of Kyokushin, he beat them by being rock hard

18. kabba kick

kabba kick New Member

could someone tell me where all those other styles came from??? jesus christ thats a long list

19. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

it's all about effort and dedication. with enough of those things, a fighter from any style has the potential to be a devastating fighter.

20. tommy

tommy New Member

styles

Please don't misunderstand my point. I think comparing styles is a natural and effective way to choose what may be best for the individual, but a "better style" I think is bunk. In a real life situation, no one knows what will take place. So, what style will be more effective given an unpredictable situation...?

I have done 3 styles and am a Kyokushin instructor. I obviously believe in my style and consider it more effective in my realm of thinking, but i would never think that my style is "better". To me that phrase and thought process does not make sense.