Kyokushin karate

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Thephenom52, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Thephenom52

Thephenom52 Valued Member

Heya guys,

I've been watching a lot of youtube videos recently (as you do) and have come by quite a few Kyokushin matches. (Before I go on, I'd just like to say that this post is just to ask a general question, and in no way is it meant to insult any person). I've noticed that a lot of the time, the fighters tend not to do any blocking and rather seem to take punches and kicks. This is the same on programmes like Fightquest (which explored Kyokushin karate in some depth).
    Now I've always seen Kyokushin karate as being rather self defence orientated, because of all the conditioning, knockdown matches etc and have always pictured it as something similar to Muay Thai (just with a bit more of a Japanese influence). The videos I've seen however seem to be disproving my ideas.

I just wanted to get some insight from those who practice this art. Are blocks, weaves, stepping out of the way etc encouraged in Kyokushin (as I imagine they are) and is my exposure of the art in video form just limited, or am I just missing something :confused:

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

competition =|= the whole style

kyokushin suffers from the same competition obsession as the rest of karate, with the difference that their competition setting is actually hardcore.

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I think there is something of a confusion in this statement. I don't think there's any doubt that kyokushin competitors have to be very tough, but whether that makes it (or muay thai) a self-defence-orientated style is surely another matter.

4. Thephenom52

I understand what you mean. What I meant was- because of the tough conditioning and often full contact sparring, a person practising one of these arts would, in my opinion be better versed in self defence situations than other styles where similar forms of sparring and conditioning are emphasised less. This is just my opinion, i don't mean to provoke debate over this.:hat:

5. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

isn't the lack of blocking simply because there's no head shots and there for no need to defend really ?

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Apart from the full contact kicks to the head :D

Mitch

7. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

so its kicks to the heads are aloud but punches aren't ? I think I knew that actually :eek:

8. Thephenom52

Is that to say that blocks etc aren't stressed in teaching or in competition?

9. Mitch

Impeccable logic isn't it? :D

Mitch

10. Thephenom52

:D

11. Mitch

The karate style I've started in is a Kyokushin offshoot, but incorporates more movement than Kyokushin seems to.

Mitch

12. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Enshin looks mint. I've also heard good stuff about siedokaikan(sp?)

13. Mitch

Enshin is great, it's my rendition of it that sucks ass :D

My sensei mentions seidowatsit as being pretty good IIRC.

MItch

14. Kokoro-Dave

Kokoro-Dave Valued Member

I think it depends on what you're looking at really. I was always taught to block. But the blocks are much shorter and more subtle that in other Karate styles. Also, very often a block could be nothing more than dropping your elbows in tight against your sides to protect your liver and spleen.

Osu.

15. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

Blocking is taught in kyokushin quite a bit, but alot of them are not aloud in tourmaments, such as the sweep aside opening block. But I kn ow we are taught them quite alot. Though even when we spar with all blocks allowed we tend to revert to the whole "put your arm in the way" kind of block.

16. Kokoro-Dave

Kokoro-Dave Valued Member

But they work :)

17. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Kyokushin definitely does stress blocks. The problem is, during kumite because head kicks are so dangerous guys will close the distance quickly until they're exchanging punches while practically standing on each other's foot. Blocks require distance and time, neither of which you really have up that close. Sometimes you can pull some off that close, but not as much. Once the range opens up you'll see a lot more, especially against head kicks.

18. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

then they kick each other in the head at that range anyway :p

19. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Only the really flexible mutant guys.

20. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

It all depends on the fighters, Kyokushin was the hardest karate i ever did. I used to block a lot too, being so small when i did it, if you dont block the leg kicks you will hurt a lot.

My school was competition oriented meaning lots of sparring, and the Saturday class was sparring only.

I used to practice 4 times per week. Man was hard.

Anyone who wants a real hard karate to practice this is it.