Kwah Jahng Nim (any spelling will do)?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by tulsa, Jun 28, 2012.

1. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

just to add... i have seen the seonbae-nim(senior) and hubae-ssi(junior) system in at least 4 martial arts schools. the term 'hyeong-nim'(older brother) isn't usually used as lightly. somebody you barely know that is higher rank or older than you. 'hyeong-nim' is the dude that not only gets to eat before you, but also buys you the meal.

resources: taking korean classes and been to the country more times than i have fingers

2. miguksaram

miguksaram Valued Member

I'll see your Korean classes and visitation, and raise you one Korean wife who was born and raised over there, and my in-laws that don't speak any English at all. ha.ha.ha:D

3. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

i dont know if inlaws are ever a raise lol

4. miguksaram

miguksaram Valued Member

My in-laws are from the Baekwoon area by Cheonju in the middle of the mountains. I was blessed that they were very friendly and open minded when I first met them or I would have been an archeological dig waiting to happen. ha.ha.ha

5. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

There is something to be said for having relatives who are understanding and patient.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

6. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I've seen "hyung (nim)" used with casual acquaintances sometimes, usually in a case where the age difference isn't enough for "ajoshi" and the situation doesn't warrant your full title. But otherwise, yes, I agree it tends to be a more serious usage.

7. Thomas

Which province was that in?

I had a friend in Chungchongbuk-do Choongju (충주시 ) and we had a lot of good times in the city. On my first bus trip in Korea (after I had just arrived and before I could read or write Korean) I tried to go there but ended up on the bus to Cheonju 전주시 (Cheollabuk-do)... what a surprise (and incentive to learn to read and write!)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  8. miguksaram

miguksaram Valued Member

Jeonju is in the Cheollabuk-do as you pointed out. Her home town is about 45 minutes outside the city limits in the mountain area. Jeonju has a lot of historical aspects to it. However a lot of people prefer the bigger cities like Seoul.

9. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

the monks still do martial arts over in a temple at chiri-san(near jeonju/imsil). i wonder what they would think of the titles we are talking about? i suppose if my hangeul is decent by next summer i will ask.

10. Thomas

Mmmmm.... Jeonju Bibimbap and other awesomely tasty foods. The city is known for its excellent cuisine (we used to use the quip "tastes like Cheonju food" in Korean as a way to express how good the taste was). I worked just North of Cheonju for a year and took quite a few trips into the city (easy by train).

11. miguksaram

miguksaram Valued Member

If they are monks, then I do not believe it would be of any relavance. I don't believe the formal titles like we do. I could be mistaken though.

12. miguksaram

miguksaram Valued Member

Hopefully I will get to use the quip often next year. :)

13. kuksool_keith

kuksool_keith Valued Member

i agree with VegasMichelle. You are no longer part of WKSA so why do you persist in asking such trivial questions about things that no longer matter to you. Kuk Sool has changed so much over the last few years with name rank changes, uniform changes, teaching changes among others. Seriously get over it!

14. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Not sure I follow this. I can understand that if a person is not a member of the WKS organization thats one thing. Am I also to understand that former members of the World organization are not to ask questions about the practice?

Best Wishes,

Bruce