kushan ku sai

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Jayla, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Jayla

Jayla Valued Member

Hi guys,

I'm looking at some karate weapons kata, notably kushan ku with Sais.

Understandably, between different styles of "open hand" (ie non weapons) karate there are differences in stance. For example shotokan and wado ryu with have slightly different stances, but the kata itself pretty much follows the same route.

I've watched this video on kushan ku sai : [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc8mDu1S2mQ&feature=related"]YouTube - Kusanku Sai[/ame]

It seems that if you throw weapons into a kata you have to modify the stances quite a lot, I almost got lost in some parts of that video, felt like a completely different kata..

Anyone here practice their kata with weapons? Chinto/bassai dai/seishan etc? I'm curious to hear any advice etc

Cheers

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I doesn't seem to me that the modifications were to accommodate the weapons, I would hazard a guess that it's a variant form of the kata, in the same way that ****o ryu has half a dozen variant empty-hand forms of bassai dai, kanku dai etc.

It's probably one of those Matsumura/Chatanyara/Other variations on the theme and as such isn't really supposed to look like the Wado or Shoto versions.

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

4. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

It's from Isshin-ryu.

Gary