Kusanku Sho (VID)

Discussion in 'Karate' started by armanox, Jun 28, 2008.

1. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

I was in a tournament about two weeks ago and was fortunate enough to have someone tape the competition. I managed to get third with this kata, and know I goofed in a lot of things (head down anyone?), and wanted to throw it to you guys for more opinions and criticism =)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2OZjtrjHGE"]Kusanku Sho - YouTube[/ame]

2. Light123

Light123 Give Up On Giving Up

Um...i havent learned kusanku yet. But i have a buddy that has.

3. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Most certainly different to how its done in shotokan!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67Rh8Cfv3f4"]Kanku Sho - fronte - YouTube[/ame]

4. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Thanks, Armanox:

This may be a bit strange coming from a person who trains in Hapkido but I would very much like a bit more information about the background for this Kata. The late Itosu is generally credited with creating a "Sho-Dai" execution for KUSHANKU and, in doing so, may have moved away from the more Chinese influences. OTOH Kyan, is reputed to have reverted back to the pre-Itosu version of KUSHANKU with considerably greater Chinese flavor to it (see: Clayton). I notice that you use the Okinawan name rather than the Japanese/SHOTOKAN term ("KANKU") so I am thinking this is a pre-Funakoshi version, yes? Can you give me some information of where this particular version comes from? Is CHINTO also a part of that curriculum? Help?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

5. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

now i don't know this kata - never heard of it before - but i've got this little voice in my head. it's my instructor screaming desperately to see some snap/sharpness/kime. it looks like you're mailing it in.

6. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

I was halfway through posting what Pauli has said but crashed. First up congrats on the 3rd place and good on you for having the balls to open yourself up for constructive criticism.

Again I haven't learnt this Kata so mine are general observations and my first is be a bit more Grrrrrr with your moves and stances make it look like you mean buisness. Some of your arm movements you place rather than strike etc.

Set yourself a good strong base (stance) to work from and be wary of letting your knees turn in. Solidly finish each move before moving onto the next one, a few times (0.17, 0.30 as examples) you roll straight into the next move, I appreciate sometimes that can be down to nerves.

Again though well done. :)

7. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Looking at armanox's profile he studies shorin ryu , which an okinawan style probably much closer to what Funakoshi learned opposed to what he taught later in life.
    Well done to armanox for having the bottle to post the video , i'd agree with the rest about more kime , although i'm wondering whether your style of karate , being okinawan and probably closer to Chinese styles , isn't naturally "softer" than say Shotokan.

8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

It's not just that your head is down...your entire back is concave, breaking any connection between the arms and the rest of the body.

And has others have said, put some intent into those movements! Don't just place yourself into the next technique/position.

Good for you for posting this and seeking constructive criticism.

9. armanox

Our Kusanku Sho and Dai do indeed come down from Itosu (Itosu -> Chibana -> Miyahira -> Miyagi). We also have a third Kusanku that we do, Chatanyara no Kusanku, that does indeed trace back to Chotoku Kyan (Kyan -> Takara -> Miyagi), that is done a bit differently from Sho and Dai.

And yes, Chinto is a part of our curriculum.

10. armanox

While our style is a bit softer then Shotokan, everyone is correct in saying that I need more kime, snappiness, etc.

Wow, I just noticed that in the video after you pointed it out. I used to have that come up in class often, thought I got away from it. Certainly something that needs to be fixed.

11. prowla

prowla Valued Member

Hi.

My impression was that you have a good snap to your kicks.

But are you taught to shuffle your back foot up when you punch in stance?
    I thought the basis of a punch in basics is that the back leg has to be locked straight to ensure you have a solid base underpinning the whole delivery of the technique.

Thanks for posting the video, and keep on enjoying the karate!

regards,
    Paul

12. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

While kime itself is unchanging, it is more noticeable in a heavier uniform. For example when I perform the same Kata in a tracksuit or a Gi the former version feels and looks softer than the latter. If you refer back to the big giant gi thread you may find that this will up your position to second at least. :eek:

13. armanox

Which part are your referring to?

14. armanox

I was wearing a lightweight gi at the time because my newer one (which is at least 2x the wieght) does not have the school emblem on it.

Maybe I should wear armor next time:rolleyes:

15. prowla

prowla Valued Member

Hi.

It's near the beginning, in the sequence of forward moves at about 12-14 sec; you take steps forward, and the back leg catches up a split second after the punch. But it's the same throughout, including the very last move of the kata.
    To me, that means that the punch doesn't have a solid foundation; if you punched me like that, I would let you and you would bounce off because the power would simply be dissipated in your back leg. (You can try it on a heavy punch bag and see if you can shift it.)

BTW, the reason I've picked up on this is that I am trying to get one of my kids out of the habit. Kids seem to feel the need to be in front, and so tend to shuffle forwards as they make a move.

Of course, I don't know your style, so feel free to tell me that I've got it wrong, and that is how the move is supposed to be done. :)

(FYI, here's a link to a kids team kata competition in our association; one of the three boys is my 11 year old. They are doing different katas, but the principle of the back leg anchoring the punch on is clearly demonstrated.)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  16. armanox

*Watches the hi res version*

I did goof on that - back leg should be still when the punch is executed. It's supposed to be near the front foot (heel to toe sorta thing), but the foot should not be in motion during the punch.

17. prowla

prowla Valued Member

OK - cool.
    I had expected it to be a longer stance, but short works.

Anyway, I think it's great that you've put this up, and are prepared to take the comments as constructive criticism!

18. mska123

mska123 New Member

:bang:im sorry to say...but that was really boring to watch. it was very different to the way that shotokan do it,,, you need more power in everything you do

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2009
  19. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Agreed (I think), as personally, I have always looked at "Kime" as an internal thing, that is manifest in training, not an an extrernal display Per-se.

In fact, "Kime" is a mute point amongst many traditional "Japanese" ma, as it implies overtly unnecessary tension.

In Wado, there is no such thing as Kime really...Not in the Karate sense anyway.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  20. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

In addition to what everone else has said, I'd also say accentuate your moves a bit. You do them all in the same rhythm. As my sensei says, doing a kata is like telling a story: when you first learn to read you take a deep breath and barrel though it. Once you learn how to read and know the story, you accentuate the full stops and commas, and turn it in to a real story. That's what kata is. On certain moves, take your time - emphasise the strike or block. Especially on the kiai points. Some moves are made to be done slowly. Use this to your advantage. Get your breath back, or make the move look really strong. Set your stance. take a breather to make your next move look infallable.

Obviously I'm talking from a Shotokan POV here, so if this would never apply to you, ignore what I'm saying

But otherwise it looked really good, and you deserved third at least!