KUNTAO

Discussion in 'Silat' started by kilat02, Aug 16, 2010.

1. kilat02

kilat02 Valued Member

hello again,

i will cut to the chase,
    Not so long ago I came in contact with a Kuntao practitioner from a neighboring province (Groningen) I do not know much about Kuntao and have only heard the name occasionally. the kuntao'er:confused: told that Kuntao and Pencak Silat lookt a lot alike in techniques, and that infact kuntao the chinese variant
    of pencak silat.

could any body how has some knowledge about kuntao, (be it a kung fu practitioner, pesilat I don't care) tell me more about this art?

2. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Kuntao comes from Kuen tao(fist way or way of the fist)a generic Cantonese way to say martial art. That particular name is popular in the philippines and Indonesia but there are many different systems of kuntao so they can be a lot of different looks.

3. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

4. kilat02

kilat02 Valued Member

oke so that's the history of it.
    but what can I imagine of the techniques?
    is it very flashy like shaolin kung fu or more like a wing chun like style?
    or is it closer to Pencak Silat?
    do you know some tactics, principles, techniques of Kuntao because I'm curious.

5. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

See the part where I said it can have many different looks?

That means it can have many different looks.

6. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Once I get back from the daily tasks, I will post an article that I wrote a few years ago concerning the systems of Kuntao that I trained and teach. I am an instructor of both chinese and filipino kuntao/kuntaw so hope this will answer some of your questions..

7. kilat02

kilat02 Valued Member

oh, :eek: right. srry, it's a broad term of course, like kung fu and silat.
    but is there nothing than that characterized Cantonese martial arts then ?

8. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Kuntao is translated to mean fist way.. it has the same basic translation as chuan fa or quan fa depending on where you train.