Kung Fu vs Western Boxing

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by shizuilong, Jun 8, 2008.

1. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

ronin, Wouldn't you say that how well someone can take a punch depends on the individual, not the style?

I would add there are couple more significant reasons why i think boxing is better for a KO.
    1 is head movement- When you get close enough to hit an opponent, he/she is obviously close enough to hit you. So don't make your head a fixed target.
    2 footwork- i'm in, i'm out, i'm circling and curving all around my opponent
    MOST IMPORTANTLY
    3 personal preference- It just feels better for me. My brother in law uses WC a lot, and it works for him very well. (when he tries to knock me out, or looses his cool, it always seems to go back to boxing :))

2. Satsui_No_Hadou

Satsui_No_Hadou Ultra Valued Member

How many submissions are part of Wing Chun? Especially just after a takedown.

3. GrandmasterAdam

GrandmasterAdam Valued Member

well a skilled fighter should be able to end the fight sooner it shouldn't last a long time but i see where your coming from, i would only say boxing is a tad more useful if your in a competition because of rules and regulations and because matches can last for ages in tournaments, but in a real fight i think u know that i stand by wing chun

4. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

yeah, i see what you mean. In a real fight i usually resort to using my kenpo training. :)

5. SgtGF

SgtGF Part time lurker

Just out of curiosity Mr. Adam, what style do you study?

6. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

Please do not use the rules excuse, its totally wrong to believe boxers are machines and cannot break rules.

We are human and can easily break the rules. Tyson bites ears, plenty of boxers use elbows and heads. I, when i boxed, used my Thai clinch when infighting to my advantage.

7. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

It's like that episode of Family Guy when they're arguing over who you'd rather do, if you had to - Burt Reynolds, or Kate Moss's five day old corpse - or something like that.

If your training method isn't fostering attributes that are actually pertinent to the desired use, then it's not much good. If it is, then it is.

It's a useful technical pass time, looking at other styles, seeing what they do well, or where they might in theory be open. or well defended.. but I think we do well to compare our own level to where we were last month, last year, than always be comparing ourselves to where other people are now. Most of these discussions are all about comparisons - but, what's the motivation?

More important than is your style better than that style is is your coaching method as good as it can be? Do you get better and better every month? The next guy might be better than you now, but has he reached a plateau, because even though his stlye is working better for him than yours for you, his coaching way isn't working as well as yours?

To me, proper coaching policy is to learn every lesson we can, positive and negative, from all the information we can take in - and use it to move our level and skills forwards. In short, don't worry about whose style is best - worry about whose coaching method is best; examining other styles takes on a whole new, more useful, professional dimension when you do that - in my experience.

8. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

In fact, let go of ALL fixed expectations. Funny really, people argue all these little points like "a boxer is open to this..." yadda yadda.... and then the reality is absoloutely terrifying fear of death, shocking moment of ultra violence where your head explodes in fear, you get snotted and fall on the floor puking up and everything you thought would happen is long forgotten.

That has happened to me, more than once - and the one lesson I learn from that is that I need something very, very simple, because in those moments, my brain can't handle complex stuff - I need a simple skill set of basic defence, and basic attack and run away.

9. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

^^

Yep.

Before I started boxing I had no bruises and plenty of theories on how I would hand a boxer his ass.

Now that I've started I've got plenty of bruises and no theories.

10. SirVill

SirVill Valued Member

Quoted for truth and hilarity.

11. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

i second that!

12. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

classic quotes, I have to say I've been there also. Its funny when I look back on it once the blood and shiners have gone down.

13. GrandmasterAdam

GrandmasterAdam Valued Member

i practise freestyle......my instructor told me that there are a lot of lau gar techniques in it though

14. SgtGF

SgtGF Part time lurker

Ah. I was just curious since you had a picture of Takamatsu-sensei as your avatar.

15. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

i ment for example if lets say he trapped the boxers arm he could then take him down with lets say a forearm vice or armbar kind of like they do in most self-defence training. and hold in place till he submits.

sorry if i wasnt clear.

16. Storms of War

Storms of War Valued Member

I've watched a Wing Chun practitioner (3 or 4 years under his belt) try sparring a Kyokushin black belt. It didn't end well. The Wing Chun guy fought with one arm in front of him in an attempt to trap the Kyokushin guy's punch, kick, whatever, and didn't even come close to grabbing it. He was getting hit left and right.

I'd say that if you're going to use Wing Chun against a boxer, throw a few low kicks to make them weary, then blast in. Make sure you're aggressive. YOU WILL NOT TRAP A BOXER'S PUNCH. Don't even bother. I promise you this. Attack, attack, attack. Use combinations and lots of them. Make sure it's coordinated though. If you just throw out random shots, you'll probably get picked apart.

17. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Personally, I like trapping - I fing it interesting to train a little bit of it. But, to try and actually make it work when people throw real punches at real speed is almost impossible in my experience. That's why so many of those JKD people fail, in my view - it's easy to make yourself look great throwing a million techniques off of someone's slow punch, or half-hearted attack - but trying to do it against any kind of serious opponent is very, very difficult. An arm is out for a split second - no time to trap it all up and do a series of fancy moves.

Those "self defence" videos where someone attacks, and the defender ALWAYS blocks it and traps it with a million techniques are a joke, in my view, and promote a very false idea of self defence.

On the sustained attack front - there are different levels of ability, obviously. Some people you can back off with one punch. Others you can overwhelm, and others can use your attempt to overwhelm them against you. It's like every technique has a counter - every level has someone else who can use what you do to their advantage, depending on their level.

18. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

this is true 99% of the time. I find the best time to find reference is when a boxer hesitates or if there is a clash. By clash i mean both of us could very well hit each other at the same time, and so it normally causes some arm clutter. that's when i find the trap. I get the hit and then i'm back to boxing again. trapping range doesn't last more than a split second. If you stay in that range to long, you'll get clobbered.

19. SgtGF

SgtGF Part time lurker

My experience with a trap is that it works only if the limb has been weakened first. A strike below the deltoid or the top of bicep does wonders to applying a lock. It isn't 100%, nothing is, and by no means easy (if it was we wouldn't have to train), but it's a lot more likely than just trying to grab someone's arm while they're punching you.

20. chof

chof Valued Member

wing chun is not designed to go round after round like boxing , you should know that if your a chunner, can you use your elbows, backfist, your trying to crash his centerline and go through him lap sao? it should be over, i know i can beat a boxer, furthermore as you make contact with him you should know, its not a god idea to trap with a boxer, but you shouldnt have to, let him move bong sao him and go for his side gate or centerline, you can kick him too, lol