Kung Fu vs Western Boxing

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by shizuilong, Jun 8, 2008.

1. shizuilong

shizuilong Valued Member

Howdi

Without wanting to stir up any animosity i was wondering what everyone's opinion would be on a fight between a Wing Chun practitioner and a Boxer.....this came about through talking to my mate who is an amateur boxer and i've basically said that i'll have a sparring session with him. he seems adament that boxing is effective and has been proven time after time in the ring whereas martial arts are alot of theory.

to a certain extent i agreed but....martial arts and i mean REAL martial arts (not sport/competative sparring matches) have no rules. everything goes.

also....any tips for me fighting a boxer? was thinking a few nice low kicks to the legs to hold him off and wear him down a little before some straight blasts etc..

let me know what you think!

shizuilong

2. fighting13

fighting13 Valued Member

it all depends on the fighter, not the style. i guess boxing is somewhat more practical but doesn't really prepare you for everything a kung fu fighter could throw at them. the opposite applies as well.

as for fighting a boxer. low kicks, takedowns if your good with them. keep your gaurd up and duck and counter works pretty well.

good luck dude.

3. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Well, what are you, similar kinds of level, or is one of you a lot better than the other, do you think?

Best advice is to make sure it's a really, really friendly experience, making it clear that you want to learn from it. If the boxer is any good, I wouldn't wind him up, lol. Check to see how effective your wing chun is first, and then whatever happens, adapt and learn from the experience - use what happens to help you re-adjust your training, then have more regular spars: spar, learn, adapt, practice... spar, learn, adapt, practice...

One thing you might get ut of it is to see just how difficult it is to keep someone back with leg kicks in practice - it's a skillful art, easily said, but more difficult in practice. You need a good sense of distance, timing, guile. It's like the difference between hitting a bag and hitting a person - the bag we miss 1 time out of a hundred. A person we hit one time out of well - we'll see!

4. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

Keep moving, keep that head moving aswel. I dont know a hell of lot about WC but you guys seem to have static heads, dont! Its like a sitting duck.

As FQ said just use it as a good learning tool

5. A Practitioner

A Practitioner Aww shi!

Wing Chun vs. Boxing, the Chun shall fail.

6. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

likely. If I were you I'd just try to relax.

7. Gong_Sau_Rick

Gong_Sau_Rick ultimate WSL nutrider

Just by reading your post and the way you talk about this subject, I know you're going to get pummeled.

8. SirVill

SirVill Valued Member

1 year boxing v 1 year Chun = Boxing wins IMO.

7 years Chun vs 1 year boxing = Chun might have a chance.

It all depends though... is he a crap boxer and are you a hardcore chunner? Its all about skill really.

9. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

But... boxing IS martial art, just because it has a different focus, that is, moving in a ring and no kicking and some other rules doesn't make it any less "real".

Are you fighting him in the ring or just a friendly spar?

I'd say there are things to watch out for... like, boxers are usually very good at judging distance, which is going to seem like they have a lot of speed since they almost always find themself in an optimal distance to attack and defence, while you having to figuring out what position you are in all the time... they may also ignore your kicks, that is, if you are not kicking hard enough to keep them at bay, as they move in, you'll basically be in trouble, it is generally a very bad idea to box a boxer!!

But yea it depends on what you guys are doing... in a friendly spar I'd say try everything, box the boxer and see what he is made out of, or whatever bad thing you might not want to try in a 'fight'.

10. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

Just to echo everyone here - it all depends what you are doing. If it's a friendly light sparring session then I reckon you could do ok - at the very least you can learn from each other and try stuff out as to what works against each other.
    On the flip side if it's a full contact match, I think you are going to get beaten on like a red-headed stepchild. Not because it's wing chun vs boxing, but because he'll be used to it, and you won't be. Unless you happen to fight FC in your club that is, but I'm assume that's unlikely?

11. Jamesm

Jamesm Outraged

Remember to video it for us, otherwise it didn't happen.

12. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

+1

And remember that YouTube makes it very easy to video!!

13. nix-bsclf

nix-bsclf Valued Member

it all depends on the person not the style. try your best and see how it goes, and said from other people try not to box the boxer try to stay a bit of a distance from him and try and sweep or kick him. thanks hope it helps

14. Gong_Sau_Rick

Actually it's both, it's the person and the style... and also the teacher.

15. nix-bsclf

nix-bsclf Valued Member

no not really, if let say Bruce lee did another style i am sure he would be just as good. and sorry yes it is the teacher but i disagree with the style, all styles are good if you know how to pull out the techniques correctly.

16. Gong_Sau_Rick

I respectfully disagree. Your example actually makes me disagree even more, lol.

If you take BL out of WC in the 1950s and especially out of the guidance of WSL he never develops his martial philosophy and skills, and therefore is never driven to rise to fame in the US.

While you are ahead of a lot of people in thinking that it's not solely about the style which will determine the combative skill of a certain individual; you still need to accept that style/system is an undeniable and inevitable variable in combative prowess.

17. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

Well BL did do another style, a whole heap or other styles in fact!! :p

18. beknar

beknar Valued Member

For the OP:

Unless you've had full contact experience with skilled people, I'd suggest trying to keep it light, fun, and a learning experience. No amount of 'technical advice' I or anyone can give you will help because you wouldn't have the kinesthetic/hands on knowledge and FEEL for things.

So just have fun with it! He's your friend, so don't go all gong sau on him and start poking his eyes out.

Video it and let us know how it goes!

19. Nuklz

Nuklz The Ascended

Comparing two styles is difficult, its easier to compare two people. My answer is "it depends on whos fighting". Although I do beleive that Wing Chun is overall a more effective style. Remember technique itself is useless without hard work behind it.

20. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Where have you been?

What's with the arrogance??