Kung fu shoes

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by incubus, Apr 8, 2015.

1. incubus

incubus Valued Member

Hi , in my club we use these chinese kung fu shoes with plastic soles , which are very convenient but am looking for more durable ones. I know adidas have them.

Can someone recommend any of these shoes suitable for training?

:Alien:

2. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

I used a pair of wrestling shoes for years.. they give ankle support while having a good rubber sole for training both on and off mats

3. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Could you recommend the make of wrestling shoes that you used?

4. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

There are a huge number of types depending on where you are Tom. I have ASICs as well as Adidas boots. They are sort of like Jing Mo boots :' ) I also use boxing boots that are good as well and easier to get in the UK. If you don't mind second hand you can buy boots from the US quite cheaply and have them shipped over. Done that aswell.

What size are you?I have a couple of extra pairs.

LFD

5. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Ive used asics and for a while wore otomix martial arts shoes.. the otomix was good for street use also. but I would recommend them for dojo or gym use only

6. huoxingyang

huoxingyang Valued Member

Look up Feiyue, they are super cheap, really comfortable and seem to last as well. They tend to have rubber soles rather than plastic ones though.

7. Late for dinner

The really good thing about wrestling/boxing/jing mo boots is the ankle support IMO. I have never rolled my ankle or had problems while training in this type of footwear.

Just sayin'

LFD

8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Any type of soft material sneakers can also work.

I use this non-high brand sneakers from SoccerWorld (UK). It feels like a soft Converse type.

Wrestling boots can be a bit pricey, but whatever works for anyone. Get it cheap from Sports Direct etc.

9. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I just get feiyues off eBay.

10. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

For every day kungfu practice i swear by Hi-tec squash shoes. Enough grip so you don't slide on wooden floors. Not too much grip so you can still pivot easily on roundhouse kicks.

My students swear by feiyuers but they tend to wear out quickly and worn out shoes are bad for your kung fu.

11. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Thanks for the offer late for dinner. Big feet - size 46 European, 11 UK, 12 USA.

I am on the look out for a good pair of Mat / grappling shoes. Something that wont break the other guys toes if I stand on them by accident, but will protect my arthritic toes from too much wear and tear.

12. Ben Gash CLF

Yeah, but they're cheap so you can replace them painlessly.

13. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

The one thing I don't like about the feiyues though is te padding under the toe is really thick. It's great for people who do wushu but I really dislike it.

14. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

True, but for some reason they get attached to the tatty old pairs and keep on wearing them well past the use by date. Only last week I was doing some stance pressure testing and they were sliding about like penguins.

When I asked why they were wearing such useless shoes I got the answer "because they look cool" I pointed out that getting a groin strain from having you foot swept and over extended was not cool.

It will be interesting to see tonight if anyone listened.

15. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

The reason the don't want new ones is because you wear down that thick toe pad and that's the only way they're comfortable.

I used to wear them too. I hated breaking down the new ones.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  16. Late for dinner

I grew up with wrestling as a sport as did my Si-Hing. There is a reason why wrestling boots are the built like they are, long hours of training where you need firm but flexible footing that won't let you down.

Sorry Tom, I only have rugby boots in that size (a 11 year old that I help out with at mini's is now letting me have his hand me downs, size 11, in case someone on side needs a pair.. :' P)

Will keep my eyes open. Interesting y there are a lot on offer from eastern europe on ebay.

LFD

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Pfft! Size 12. Get that weak crap out of here. Size 14 here, pal! ;)

Asics wrestling shoes. Wore them for donkey's years in arnis. They worked a charm.

18. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Another vote for Wrestling shoes. I think I have Asics too. Have had them for years. They were expensive, but have lasted well.

I have also used Feivue. They are a good cheap alternative, but I like the ankle support of the wrestling shoes. Feivue's have ridges that you have to wear down a bit for things like roundhouse kicks.

19. Ben Gash CLF

If you're in the UK wrestling shoes can be tricky and expensive to get hold of.

20. incubus

incubus Valued Member