Kung Fu Register

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Andy Murray, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Black Assasin

Black Assasin New Member

I've just started kung fu but am unsure what style to chose????? :confused:

2. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Which style are you doing at the moment? And why aren't you sure about doing that one?

3. red_primate

red_primate New Member

Word

Ving Tsun, Moy Yat family. I picked this style because one of the best fighters I ever met prcaticed this style. His main style was Southern Praying Mantis, but he also knew Cho Lay Fut (no offence if I spelled that incorrectly) and may weapon styles. When I moved to Austin, I sat in on a Ving Tsun class and it was exactly what I was looking for. I started on Ving Tsun, so I stuck with it. I am also not very flexible, so Ving Tsun was much more attractive to me than Hungar ;)

4. drunken master

drunken master New Member

i've recently started hung fut kung fu out of a place in victoria, i think i'd like to do tai chi aswell. is that a good idea?

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Personally I think it's better to stick to one style, or at least master one style before tackling another. Others may disagree?

6. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

depends how much time you have to train for one style.

Would mostly agree, that it is worth sticking with one style for some time otherwise it could be too much learning different stances and concepts.

7. choconutjoe

choconutjoe New Member

Had my first Wing Chun lesson yesterday. So now I am a chunner :)

8. mdcruz

mdcruz New Member

i study ving tsun gung fu- i live in las vegas, but my teacher is pete pajil who lives in philly- it is a very effective system and all that, but the reason i practice the art is because of its simplicity and reasonability. if there are any people in las vegas who are interested in ving tsun (moy yat system) please feel free to contact me at mdcruz61@aol.com...

9. navanman

navanman Valued Member

I study Lau Gar in Navan, Ireland and hope to grade for my Brown Sash in the next couple of weeks... :eek: nervous times!

10. Wax

Wax Valued Member

I started Wing Tsun just before i joined MAP. I chose it because it is good for little fellas like myself and uses alot of similar muscle techniques to rock climbing (conserving energy, using minimal muscle movements) which is my bane. The school is also really close to where i live and work.

11. thenightninja

thenightninja Valued Member

Hello all. I am a student of White Crane Fist and i was wondering if anyone knows of a kwoon in or around Newcastle. Any help would be appreciated.

12. PantherFist

PantherFist Valued Member

Can you be more specific about which Newcastle you are talking about i.e Newcastle Australia, Newcastle under lyme(UK), Newcastle Upon Tyne(UK) etc

13. thenightninja

Might help

Newcastle Australia, sorry about that.

14. slig

slig he's so hot right now

I study Hung Suen Wing Chun in a mixed martial art school, Ipswich Australia. There were a few reasons for me studying this. I took my time (about 1 year) and found out about the different styles being taught locally, sat in on a few classes, searched the internet etc. until deciding on the school and style I am currently enjoying. Always had a fascination with Kung Fu, especially some of the formal animal styles, but they didn't seem very practical. I did japanese Ju Jitsu for many years but eventually moved away and never took it up again. The Japanese styles were either too pacifist or too slow to keep me interested. ( I can tell the ex-Karate, Aikido, Hapkido guys in the school because they take forever to strike, and their stances are really heavy :) To Karate's credit though, it may be slow but it packs serious punch ).

For me, it was the logical choice. Sure, I could study Crane technique up the road but i'm not interested in art for arts sake. I could take kickboxing, but you're never going to kick your way out of every situation. I could take Karate, but 'The Karate Kid' seemed like a bit of a pussy really even in number 3 ;) The style i've chosen takes all the best bits from other styles, including BJJ and Kickboxing and wraps them up nicely.

If I get into a situation I want it over and done with quickly with all the tools of a mixed art at my disposal, so I can run the hell away :)

15. Jinstar

Jinstar New Member

sorry to be picky but kickboxing and BJJ are very different, and i think u underestimate other arts, kickboxers are very conditioned and strikes are very lethal. Personally I have had minor ground fighting practice from Wing chun practice, so I dunno how BJJ is incorporated into it...

16. thenightninja

Slig, i have a few opinions on what you said about karate and your preferred style. Firstly, karate only packs a punch when the artist has superior strength on his side, while my crane fist style is designed to use opponents energy and energy obtained from stances to strike at the opponent, or redirect his enery. The more energy the opponent has, particularly in the solid style of karate, the more energy can be refocussed back upon the original projector. I also think a mixing of styles is dangerous, depending on what styles are mixed, for example tae kwon do is an impossibe mix with any chinese martial art, but on the other hand it is very similar to karate.

17. slig

yeah, you're probably right. I've only had limited expsoure to Karate so I can only really work with my observations. I'm not of a high level, so I still tend to either weave around or deflect incoming attacks with my own force and dynamics rather than use the situation. Maybe down the track i'll have a better understanding of your point :)
    The system I study is still Wing Chun, but it doesn't really go into grappling (for example) so BJJ has been incorporated into the curriculum. I can't go around saying I know BJJ though; Only Kung Fu with a BJJ component if you get my drift...
    I see your point but I think it's good to have a few different tools for different situations.

18. mr_yaxley

mr_yaxley New Member

Loong Ying Kuen and Pak Mei

Hi there all...

I'm currently studying Loong Ying Kuen (dragon fist) and Pak Mei (White Eyebrow/tiger) Kung Fu.

Very interesting and traditional styles, good for body and mind (though most martial arts do that, I suppose). They're both internal and external systems, good for developing strong chi, and incorporate both shaolin and taoist principles. They're also very effective and direct forms of self-defence.

Anyone else studying Pak Mei out there? From what I gather, it's pretty rare.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2005
  19. ori-mental88

ori-mental88 Valued Member

Hi People!!

I'm currently Studying Wing Chun (Yes! Another Wing Chunner!) under Kamon Martial Arts Federation. The Kamon System goes beyond WC and give insight to other arts such as grappling/ground work to combat some of the known weaknesses in WC

20. slig

Very rare. Take advantage of your sifu while you've got him/her and learn all you can - it's a great style. Then come teach in Australia! :)