Kung Fu Nottingham

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Traininglawyer, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Traininglawyer

Traininglawyer New Member

Hi guys, I'm looking for some advice on kung fu classes in and about Nottingham. I've tried some wing chun and wasn't a massive fan. I was considering here: Kung Fu Nottingham - Home Page

Any other suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks guys

Dead_pool likes this.
  2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Depends what you want as to whether you'll consider it good and if it'll be up your street. What do you want and what didn't you like about wing chun?

Edit:
    Not much to go on, on the website.

First class is free though...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Dead_pool likes this.
  3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

What are your aims in training?
    Also does it have to be kung fu?

What did you dislike about wing chun?

4. Traininglawyer

I suppose it doesn't have to be kung fu, no.

I tried wing chun classes for about three months and felt that I wasn't really learning that much, there was little structure to what was being taught and there was no clear direction in the training. Informal training is fine but this felt like we were learning to kick and punch for no real reason and with no continuity between lessons.

Dead_pool likes this.
  5. Knee Rider

What interests you?

If it was me I'd likely check out Gracie barra and Nottingham mma. Those things might not interest you at all though.

Dead_pool likes this.
  6. Traininglawyer

I'd like something with some discipline and structure to it, sparring would be good too. I'm mostly doing it for general fitness/interest, not really looking to compete in tournaments or anything like that. ANy help you guys have would be great

7. Knee Rider

Dead_pool likes this.
  8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

As people have already advised, go and check out a few classes. And see what you enjoy!

Judo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, MMA and kickboxing sound ideal, every place I've ever been will look after new people, you don't have to compete, but because others are, they're skill will help pull yours up!

Nottingham Mixed Martial Arts

These guys look top notch, and there's lots of different classes to try, and the first one is free!

Knee Rider likes this.
  9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Nottingham has a lot of good MAs, but it's a big place so the first question is whereabouts in the city are you looking to train?

Second is are you a student and if so where? Just asking as you are Traininglawyer :)

10. Traininglawyer

I drive so anywhere in Nottingham is grand. I'm a BPTC student at trent

11. Mitch

I think I mentioned it before so it may be that you're not interested, but there is a very active NTU Taekwon Do club. "Discipline, structure and sparring" is a perfect fit for TKD.

Training is cheap as it is part funded by the University. You can train on Saturdays, Tuesday and Thursday evenings, and Sunday mornings. The classes are taught by multiple time champions at national and international level, and former Olympic-level competitors (though it is not Olympic style).

The classes are physically demanding so will definitely help your fitness, and there is sparring at virtually every session once you have found your feet.

If that doesn't tickle your fancy I'd look to see what other NTU clubs there are. I know there is karate but don't know anything about the club, and I imagine there will be Judo as well. Again, these will be subsidised by the Uni so will be cheap. Uni clubs are often quite competitive (some members of the TKD club are very competition orientated for example), and whilst you may not be interested in competing that does tend to drive standards up.

Knee Rider likes this.
  12. Traininglawyer

There's two TKD clubs at NTU - ITF and WTF. It does sound good and I'll definitely give it a go. Do you suggest one over the other?

13. Mitch

ITF is the one I was referring to :)

14. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

axelb, Mitch and Knee Rider like this.
  15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I remember the Nottingham area being an absolute hotbed of martial arts in the 90's and early 2000's.
    Ralph Minnott, Tony Sewell in Derby, Gym with no name, that Knockdown sport budo guy, Kickfit (Richard someone?), that guy who was a copper and all over the martial arts mags (martin Smith I think?), Tony Vohra's place, Shudokan Aikido (Ken Robson), MMA with people like Dan Hardy and Paul Daley, Pep Padovano.
    And of course a "colourful" nightlife where you may get opportunities to test your skills! :)

16. Traininglawyer

I can confirm there is still colourful nightlife

axelb, Knee Rider, Mitch and 2 others like this.
  17. Traininglawyer

Knee Rider and Dead_pool like this.
  18. Mitch

If he joins the NTU club he can not only come to Southwell, he can also kick my sorry behind around at those other classes :D

19. Traininglawyer

Knee Rider and Dead_pool like this.
  20. Mitch