Kung fu Game Plans

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Renegade80, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

By a total co-incidence I was playing with this last night. If the opponent does lead, then power cross and you counter with an inward lead haymaker to clear the jab then an outward lead haymaker aimed at the temple. If you are faster than the cross (unlikely) you hit them in the temple. If you are a little slower than the cross you end up trapping it. This creates an opening for your own fore arm smash haymaker on your power side. It is almost exactly the movements of the video above.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  2. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Is thus essentially a gwa choy / cup choy combo or am I misreading you? One arm doing both or a left right combination?

LFD

3. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

One arm does both.

Yes, I think so (I am not totally familer with the Chinese terminology). If the opponent is fast there is a chance that they can thread the eye of the needle and catch you with the cross before you intercept it with the return backfist. This can be countered by creating a little distance by stepping back or fading with the first contact or by stepping in and off line.

4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Speed is everything. If A is faster than B, A will get B.

The nice thing about this forward and backward haymakers is, the

- forward haymaker can be used to set up a "head lock", and

[​IMG]

- backward haymaker can be used to set up a "reverse head lock".

[​IMG]

In either case, the clinch is established. The striking game is over and the grappling game begin.

5. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Yep! all sorts of fun :)

6. Renegade80

Renegade80 Valued Member

In my kungfu school we learned that the straight line beats the circle and the circle beats the straight line.

The idea was to use the shorter straight path to reach the target, possibly taking an angular step to compensate for faster attacks. Not sure how well it would work against a proper tight boxing hook, but it was effective enough most of the time.

7. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I'm trying to understand what you are saying so be patient with me please.

You are saying a line beats a circle but a circle beats a line ... so what is that supposed to mean? Or refer to ? Or what? Sorry it just sounds like you repeated the same thing in opposition to what you just said.

As far as the rest of the comment goes it is also not quite clear.

You are saying use a straight line to reach the target but step (? away/off the line?, stepping across towards the opponents opposite/rear shoulder (slipping inside? )) to help keep you away from a faster attack? If you are throwing the first strike and throwing a straight technique, are you stepping just in case the other person is throwing techniques that are faster than your own? I guess that you are assuming that the opponent can read your angles and is able to put themselves where they have a good ability to counter punch even if you move first. Would you be able to clarify things a bit for me?

In the case of protecting yourself from a hooking technique while throwing a straight technique the tricky part would seem whether you have enough power to affect your opponent before getting hit yourself. Have you had to take any sort of hit (with some power) while testing out how well your technique works against an opponent?

Just would like to know whether I am understanding your proposition correctly.

Thanks in advance for any info/reply.

LFD

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  8. pecks

pecks Valued Member

I think it means that you do the opposite of what your opponent throws at you - i.e. if they come straight at you, counter with something "circular", and vice versa.

9. Renegade80

Renegade80 Valued Member

What Pecks said.

So with regards to the angular stepping comment, I am throwing a straight left shot in answer to a circular left swing. I might not be fast enough to intercept the blow, so i step forward at 45d to my left (the same direction as the attacking swing) in hopes of taking the sting out of any impact by my opponent.

Yes.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015