Kung Fu & Dishwashing

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by TheSanSooStorm, Apr 8, 2005.

1. TheSanSooStorm

TheSanSooStorm Valued Member

There is a city called "Self" and to enter it is to enter the Mastery of self. There are many gates to the city, each having its own uniqe road. One road is called "Painting" the other "Poetry" another "Hard Work" another called "Martial Arts" and even one called "Dishwashing."

In order to discpline ones self the entire self must be disciplined. The "fighter" in you does not just do pushups, but all of you must be disciplined to do them. And so learning martial art masters self, and opens door ways to put your entire self, all your heart into martial art. And Vica Versa. The principles of doing things with dignity, humility, and with enthusiasm is something that can flow from martial arts into every aspect of our life, even dishwashing.

I have had three main jobs so far in my life. Picking up scraps on my dads job site, a Janitor at a waterpark, and now a dishwasher. I work at a oriental restraunt called "Tien`s Place" my boss Tien is Vietamese and with very interesting background. One thing he said to me is "I think martial arts and dishwashing, all is same thing." He went on to explain even in cooking, it can get busy and intense, it opens up your lungs, and is very good for you. And every day passed is another "test" accomplished. My beliefes is that martial arts as a walk of life offers many challenges that elope into a tranquility present in ones entire life, and ones entire being.

Any thoughts? How has martial art lead you to the mastery of self?

2. Peacemaker

Peacemaker New Member

I agree with you. I am of the belief that for every actvity that you do, there is always a chance for self-mastery. The key to me is to have a full attention in what you are doing, keeping your mind in the present and put your heart and soul into whatever it is your are doing.

But I have to admit, sometimes it's easier said than done. I am currently working at a library putting books back on their shelves, and no matter how hard I try it it's hard to put my heart into it. I almost fell asleep while standing up because it was very boring. lol

3. clockman75

clockman75 Banned Banned

Good going

I rent a dishwasher, and I probobly won't keep it long either.
    Lessons in life are more likely, go while the going is good.

4. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

It's the whole idea of the Tea Ceremony.

5. TheSanSooStorm

Osho

Exactly, Osho- the art of tea. Zen in all things.

6. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

I agree. Do every thing earnestly or not at all. Observe and refine, observe and refine.

Rgds,
    David

7. little lion

little lion New Member

All things are essentially the same, do them to transcend mind and live in the moment-but you cannot try to do them to do so is a product of mind, and comes from a sense of self. Different people are just inclined to do different things, martial arts, acting, dancing etc- youll find that the people who are great at what they do, do so without thought, they are in the zone so to speak.
    I think a speach in the film troy depicts this pretty well-
    why did you choose this life?
    what life?
    the life of a great warrior?
    I chose nothing, i was born and i simply am.

8. TheSanSooStorm

Yes, martial arts seemed to be in my blue print. I always watched action movies, and some martial art here and there. I loved the Ninja turtles, and all that great stuff. I would go and play it out in my backyard, and suprisingly, from pictures and home video`s it almost looks like real martial arts lol. My life was a very negative one untill I filled the Void in me with martial arts. And its inspiration has opened more doorways and natural talents in me that I never even knew exists.

Also a great dialogue from Troy, loved the movie. Intend on reading the Illiad.

9. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Several levels for me personally:

I started Kung Fu in September. I have previous training, but it was actually more harmful than good. But since I've started Kung Fu, I've quit smoking, become vegetarian, am more in touch with my Inner Nature and am working on some issues that are holding me back in life. So, yes, I am on the path to Mastery of Self. Whether one can truly Master One's Self is another question best left for introspection, lol.

Now this could have been any martial art; it just happens I finally got an instructor who is willing and able to help me out in areas besides martial arts.

10. clockman75

clockman75 Banned Banned

stereotypical nonsense

Not to get too far off topic, but isn't it sad the way the world can do to common folk?

You got a celebrity chick who did dishes in your dad's kitchen, who thinks your responsible for all her problems, with a boyfriend who has the same name as you, wants to prove you gay, so you move on and try to clean your life up. All she can say is "get rich or die", I mean common man, there's nothing anyone can prove here about fame and death. It's all been done.

I will still be there when this is all over with, and she gets married.
    Does that prove I'm gay cause you heard somethin? Get real, take
    your own medecine, stop tricking the doctors with this crap!

And as far as I'm concerned I will do what I have to do, and get it done! I won't let anybody in my life compromise the truth, you have to roll with the punches. In her case, I did, they told me, and I accepted it. If you don't like it go tell her she's a man, so she'll feel better. Stop calling people gay for the love of christ, get real.

As far as I'm concerned, I still have to pull my weight, and what do you know, she liked it better on my bad side. Well, 'change of direction'

not much I can do about it now. Though, "now" I'm not S.O.L.O.S. and "now" you can't force me to do anything that isn't right..... :bang:

11. TheSanSooStorm

...umm clock man you completely lost me, that came kinda out of no where. :confused:

12. clockman75

clockman75 Banned Banned

46 chromosomes

I errr, thanks for answering, I guess we are all human :D
    Now completely ignore me, this is to a celebrity chick I once almost knew.
    Has nothing to do with anything anybody except me, is responsible for.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  13. gt3

gt3 Member

any physical activity can become meditative. The problem with modern society is we seek wisdom in information. overloads of information! This is an illusion because it appears the quickest way to wisdom, but it its the longest route

14. clockman75

clockman75 Banned Banned

Advice? Celebrity dishwashing.

I know that, but she told everyone I was a jew, and gay. I really cared about her as a person, that doesn't mean I'm superman under pressure. I still am skin and bones just like the next idiot.

I felt bad about all this, but she wouldn't accept that, and talk to me.
    Now we have a radio overload celebrity crisis. Seriously, they didn't even release anything like this until I spoke up. I went walking "LAST YEAR!" :eek:

This year, I'm trying to figure out why I didn't make it. And why she drove right past me again, before running back to paradise. Someone wasn't being honest in this situation, but there's nothing I can do to blame anyone.

I'm glad for her, and I'm straight up straight dude, no problems here.
    And I miss, the way it used to be before we pretended all this mattered.
    Now, your money would have to be on the next "handle bars divorce song", or "Movie store turned Auto shop", to know what I mean. :rolleyes:

I still keep wondering....

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  15. jonmonk

jonmonk New Member

^^^^ I like that.

IMHO true wisdom comes from the examination of self and the desire to do better.

As martial artists, at some point we have to examine our motives for studying arts of war. It looks intially like a paradox doesn't it. On the one hand we're saying that we want to better ourselves, on the other hand these are 'violent' arts. If we meditate on that 'paradox' though, we find answers. Pretty deep answers at that. Our viewpoint changes and we have started to do what we set out to do which was to better ourselves. Not just physically and mentally but also spiritually and emotionally too.

Of course the fun comes in finding the answers from your own meditation rather than reading about someone elses! Otherwise we end up in the predicament that gt3 described above :D

16. clockman75

clockman75 Banned Banned

words into action, my rant....

Is there any real method, of fitting into the puzzle? I'm not trying to be negative about this, but I see things in black and white. People should be able to be comfortable with how they see the truth, honestly. I never been to a Criticism Camp, cause we call it a city.

I had to learn there are two kinds of people in this world. Those who see
    the glass half empty, and those who see the glass half full. I just say,
    there's water in it.

I don't want to seperate myself from what is right, because I am searching for it. The best puzzles, take a lifetime to complete.

And, there are thousands of these 2 armed and two legged freaks walking around the very city I live in. We chew up our food. We sleep. We work.
    Not everybody has a membership card and a liscense to kill. Not everyone wants one either. Thank Heavens we still have air.

I try not to let the influence of those around me, influence my judgment on how I make decisions, that is what defines an individual. You know, all those two legged freaks, with which I am one of. :Alien:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005