Kumite with Black Belts

Discussion in 'Karate' started by JBomb123, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Generally speaking, when there is a "young buck" in the dojo, it is up to the senior belts to break them. Not break them to make them ineffective, but instead to get them to develop some level of compassion through hard and sincere training and develop a level of humility. Those that can take it often continue stronger than before, those that don't like it, sometimes end up quitting.

One of the most common ways of breaking someone is through conditioning. Everyone works until they are dead tired... start with conditioning drills, then when everyone is exhausted, start sparring round robin based on rank and experience. Have the "young buck" when it is his or her turn in the middle of the circle with first sparring partner someone that can take the punishment but of the lower rank. After the round of a few minutes, immediately have the next sparring partner come in to spar the same "young buck" with this new partner able to take the punishment and slightly more challenging. By the time the guy is on his fifth round/fifth different sparring partner, if he ain't puking, then rotate him out. Let someone, else rotate in the center and they spar a couple rounds with different people, etc. Then rotate the "young buck" back in to spar others.

Pretty much no one except really experienced (since they stay more relaxed and conserve energy) and really well conditioned folks will have the same power in the later rounds.

If after ten rounds of this, you got a guy that is still hitting too hard... damn, sign him up for UFC cause he is exceptional. Otherwise, most get the idea that they aren't all that good and probably should be more humble and listen to others, and be respectful... etc.

2. JBomb123

JBomb123 Valued Member

Two interesting things:
    1. The tool doesn't pull this stuff on the other BBs - I think he knows that would be a very bad move... Pretty quickly he'd be handed his organs on a plate.
    2. We did quite a bit of sparring today, and the tool wasn't there. Guess what - I had great fun. Hard freaking work, took some nasty shots etc. But it was all in good spirits, I was happy with how I went and at the end of it all everyone was friends. Exactly what sparring should be.

I'm particularly happy with how I was sparring today due to my attitude, some of the comments on this thread have made me rethink how I mentally approach sparring. Its been most helpful!

3. Mike O'Leary

Mike O'Leary Valued Member

Karate is an art.... is your sensei teaching a sport????

Karate is an art that we should be able to practice all our lives. Going to work constantly bruised and beaten is not professional. ( Ya OK.. Once in a while dont hurt hahahha) but not all the time. Folks who want to fight this hard.. have issues.... Once again... Karate on Okinawa.... ( where karate originated from) does not have sparring in the world tournament.... it is only kata....

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

the problem with this approach is the guys a black belt so whilst young he is not exactly new to the club, i have seen new guys go too hard and have both taught them a lesson and watched my coach put a few of them asleep, it is as you say up to the older students and coach to ensure these kind of guys are kept in line.....but here it appears it is a senior who is the problem

I blame the coach for letting it go this far if he can see the guys not enjoying the level of contact and that its too hard he should sort it out, its his responsibiltiy, there is a difference between taking someone out of their comfort zone and allowing someone to beat on them harder than the level of contact everyone else is using