Kumite or Kata?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by saikyou, Oct 2, 2003.

?

w/c do you prefer?

1. Kata

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. Kumite

11 vote(s)
    61.1%
  1. saikyou

saikyou New Member

w/c do you prefer? Kata or Kumite?

2. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

Kumite is easier.
    I like kata alot too though, I voted Kumite.

3. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

I really liked Kata. I thought it was fun and interesting to learn. My Karate school changed to a MMA school though. I could still learn the kata by going to open class on fridays, but I really liked doing it in class. It was a nice cool down exercise.

4. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

I voted kata, it is the foundation of the style that holds it up.

5. thiaboxr2

thiaboxr2 New Member

I would pick both. Where Kata can contain the movements and techniques, Kumite can release them during sparring.

6. Adam

Adam New Member

Kumite. You can have MA without kata, you can't have MA without kumite.

7. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

No. you can not have Martial arts without kata. Kumite is just a game of tag. Even full contact sparring is not reality. True, kata is not reality either, but the techniques simulated in kata are what would be devistating to an opponent in a reallity situation.

8. Adam

Adam New Member

You can't have martial arts without kata? What about arts like kickboxing, muay thai, JKD, boxing + many others? aren't they martial arts because they have no kata?

9. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

sparring is a hell of a lot more 'real' than punching the air is :p
    I think that to learn how to do a technique properly, it does have to be practised on an opponent. It's about distancing, timing, reach, targetting, and all those other things that kata don't teach you.

10. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

Martial arts and games or sports are two different things. Kumite, boxing, kickboxing are only games. You can certainly learn a lot from sparring. I did suggest that you could not. What I said was, Kata is the real essence of a martial art because kumite is really only a game of tag. Lots of fun and I like nothing more than kumite, but it is not real.

11. Knight_Errant

Neither is kata :) in fact it's much less real because you are not practising techniques against a resisting oponent ;)

12. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

It is really about your perception. In kumite you don't crush your opponents wind pipe, break their arm or gougue out their eyes. But in kata you practice those elements all the time. Kata is not just a series of meaningless dance moves. You are focusing on the internal components that create good fighters, developing poise, dexterity, flow and so on that become part of your real fighting when and if you are faced with the choice to use your martial arts

13. Kenpo_Mike

Kenpo_Mike New Member

:)

KATA!
    Nuff Said

14. johndoch

johndoch upurs

wohoo another kata vs sparring thread.

15. Mike Clark

Mike Clark New Member

For me its the forms if having to select one or the other. Why - because I use it for inspiration in my fighting. Guess though you should do the most of whatever you want to excel at.

Regards

16. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Kata's great, personally I love Kata (I voted kumite, love that more). Kata has stuff all to do with real fighting, and thats a fact. Real fighting, or even tournament fighting is never prearranged

17. Knight_Errant

This thread is getting a little lame-brained, might I say?
    so? you can't do that in kata. Reason being, you don't have an opponent to crush his windpipe.

18. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

Mr. knight,
    You just don't get it , do you?

19. Knight_Errant

no, you don't :p

20. teacher

teacher Valued Member

No I think he ( Knight-E) gets it.
    There are limits in kumite but there are also limits in kata.
    Dam ur fast Knight -E