Kuma Training

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Kuma, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Been slacking a bit again in posting.

12/11 - Home training in the AM. Dynamic stretching and warm-up exercises, traditional kihon and ido geiko, power development on the heavy bag, and a special focus on roundhouse kicks then stretched out. In the PM, I did a combatives session with two other folks. Some situational work and self protection counters with some padwork, maybe 1 hour total.

12/12 - Rest day. Stretching only. Signed up for a charity boxing event which should be fun.

12/13 - Judo class in the PM, 1 hour total. Covered osoto gari, ippon seoinage (both are coming along well), o goshi (needs work), and a newaza transition (osoto gari to kesa gatame). The instructor today likes to cross train so we also worked on the upper block, down block, straight punches, and front kicks. I was supposed to do some METCON with my kettlebells after class but unfortunately both the wife and I had a rough day and we spent a lot of time on house chores.

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Going to try an effort here once again, no guarantees though. I've been logging my workouts in notebooks for so long it feels odd to put it on the Internet.

Kettlebell training tonight. About 20 minutes of mobility work and light stretching to get warmed up to start. I then did 15 minutes of alternating Turkish get-ups with the 24kg, probably went a bit too light as I ended up doing 12 per side. Next I did 15 minutes of a superset: 10 two-handed swings with the 32kg followed by 10 slow Judo push-ups, got 9 sets total. Finished with some more mobility work and some deep stretching to finish things off, about another 20 minutes total, then a gi jacket static hang with both hands from my pull-up bar, about 60 sec total each set, did just 2 sets.

3. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

That's some pretty heavy conditioning, respect!

You not doing any strongman anymore then? I remember you saying the DOMS and work weren't a great combo, makes sense.

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I've actually gotten a way from a lot of my old training ways. This year I've really been getting more into developing and improving mobility and movement, hence why about half my workout now revolves around that. I used to neglect those big time like a lot of trainees, but these kind of workouts leave me energized and feeling good, not broken and beat up like before.

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Have you been talking to Sensei Gary? :D

What mobility work are you doing Kuma?

This is where I need to move my own training so I'm gathering ideas.

Mitch

6. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I play around with a lot of different things, but I've tried this particular one and it's pretty good: http://breakingmuscle.com/video/primal-move-workout-1-warm

Right now I'm using some ideas from "Original Strength" which are working out nicely.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Original-Strength-Tim-Anderson/dp/1626974616/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378201239&sr=8-1&keywords=original+strength"]Original Strength: Tim Anderson, Geoff Neupert: 9781626974616: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Did some mobility work before Judo.

Judo class, 90 minutes. Worked a lot on koshi guruma and ippon seoi nage, then worked two counters to them (utsuri goshi and tani otoshi). Lots of uchikomi and technique work tonight.

More mobility work when I got home followed by some stretching.

8. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Apparently Kuma has almost identical dimensions to me. You'll do well in giless judo. People have a hell of time grappling someone with thick, nubby appendages, particularly if they are sweaty.

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

One of my instructors said builds like ours are perfect for Judo. It's a bummer when trying to do certain throws against taller guys though.

Wednesday I did an easy 10K run once the wife got home from her workouts. Didn't really track the time but it was under 45 minutes. More mobility work and stretching before and after.

Today I got up at 0600 and did some kettlebell training. Mobility work and light stretching for about 20 minutes. I then did 15 continuous minutes of windmills, switching hands each rep with the 24kg (18 reps total per side). Next was a 15 minute superset of dead hang pull-ups and double kettlebell cleans to front squats with a pair of 24kg. Did 8 sets total, 24 pull-ups and 48 cleans to front squats. 2 sets of static gi jacket hangs also. Finished with another 20 minutes of stretching and mobility work. Tonight I have MA training - we usually do technique work, pad work, sparring, and some body conditioning and abwork.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013