Kuma Training

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Kuma, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

:eek:

2. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I've been hoping you'd start up in here.

Interesting that you've moved to more strength endurance/conditioning stuff from the strongman/PL style of training.

Without sounding like I want to check your oil, did you notice anything physique wise when you made the switch? I know you've been trying to lean up some too.

3. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

There were a few main reasons for it. The first is now that I train at home, I simply can't train the way I used to in many respects. The second, and bigger, reason for it was lifting heavy then going to work was asking for trouble. After getting into a foot pursuit with a combative subject after squatting heavy the night before, I had virtually no get up and go by the time the fight was on. Fortunately it all worked out, but potentially it could have gone south on me. That's when I decided to focus on a different approach. I still do lots of strength moves, just not the typical ones (i.e. more into working pistols now than back squats).

So far, no real visible changes but if I got out my tape measure I'm sure I'd see some differences. My wife's still a darn good cook, so I'm eating plenty that's for sure.

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Nice to see you posting a log here! Your circuits sound like 'fun'! :D

5. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

That's cool. What are you going to build? I had a home-made wooden bench when I was a kid. It kind of sucked but it was all I had.

6. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

A power rack may be too ambitious for my wife right now, but I'm looking at making some traditional hojo undo equipment (chishi, tetsu geta, and kongoken), a striking post with tire halves as targets, and a kakite bikei. Need to make a new makiwara at some point as well, branch fell on the old one after a heavy storm. The current goal is making a canvas heavy bag out of an old military issue seabag, should hopefully finish that in the next week or so. Easy task, but (despite what my post count at MAP appears to be) time is often limited for me.

7. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

I have made a few chishis in my life. I have used an ax hand and a standard barbell plate and a hammer handle and the same. Would love to make a makiwara.

8. Osu,

What is a kakite bike, kuma?
    :)

Osu!

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

OSU,

It loosely means "blocking post" and it's really just a lever with a counter weight on one end to practice your kakie. On the post base is a target you can also use for working some kicks. The wife's a bit hesitant on this one as it will require some space to move around, but she is a very understanding lady so eventually I may get my wish.

Actually found a picture, here you go.

[​IMG]

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I've moved the question about the making of Hojo Undo equipment to another thread in order that we keep this thread for Kuma's training.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  11. Osu,

Thank you Kuma, it is Sensei Mike Clark of Tasmania on the picture. :)
    He has an interesting blog: look up the Shinseidokan Dojo if you like.

Osu!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  12. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

13. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

His book was actually my inspiration.

Stamina training tonight. Due to a lot of house chores and working on my roof to stop a leak, I only had a quick one tonight. Brisk warm-up, then rope skipping (1000 jumps in just under 10 minutes). Finished with some stretching.

14. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

With a tire, a board, and a little imagination, you can jury-rig up a pretty nice one.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W4Nbq0EWYU"]How to? Episode 1: Build your own home made makiwara. - YouTube[/ame]

15. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Thanks for the thought. A nicely stained piece of wood sticking up from the floor with a leather cover would be a much easier sell to the wife than a tire on the wall. My wife is understanding, but only to a point. I didn't marry as well as you did, but better than most do.

16. Osu,

ROFL!
    I hope she is not reading MAP, otherwise, it was nice meeting with you... :D:D:D

OSu!

17. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

So, upon request, i am going to try to keep this going. My approach from before is still pretty similar: strength/conditioning workouts, sprints, classes (averaging 2x a week Judo and 1x a week Kyokushin), and some skill training at home.

11/26 - Home training and Judo class.

For home training, I got up early and did my warm up (BFS Dot Drill, joint rotations, dynamic stretching) then trained all of my traditional basics, then did some movement drills using various fighting combinations. I then did some power development on the heavy bag (wraps only for hands, no shin pads) and finished with some kata and stretching.

Judo class was 1.5 hours. "Chicken fighting" with class before (good way to train one-legged strength and balance), then a good warm-up with lots of forward and backward breakfalls. We then covered some throws (osoto gari, ippon seoinage, koshi guruma) and some pinning techniques (hon kesa gatame, kuzure kesa gatame) with escapes from those pins. We then worked on escaping from the pins with resistance for a bit, and finished with some newaza from the knees. My partner was a stocky orange belt and we rolled pretty hard - first bout he got me with a choke, second bout I rode his back the whole time trying for different chokes.

11/27 - Rest day but more due to a double shift than anything else. Missed Kyokushin for some much needed sleep, so Thursday it'll be either Kyokushin or Judo.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  18. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

11/29 - Lots of overtime this week but still went to the dojo for Judo tonight only to realize I forgot they had changed the times (it used to be 7:30pm on Thursdays but now it's 6:30pm). Fit in a light workout instead and spent time with the missus.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  19. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

12/3 - Kettlebell metabolic conditioning. 40 min.

12/4 - Home training. Shadow boxing, footwork drills, heavy bag (a few 2 min rounds then some power kicking), traditional kihon, kata, rope skipping. With warm up and cool down 1.5 hours.

12/5 - Judo class, 2 hours. Warm-up, ukemi, and some shrimping and some body pulling before we got to the throws. Covered isoto gari, ippon seoinage, koshi guruma/o goshi, okuri ashi harai, and de ashi barai. We then did newaza for a while. Guard position, guard sweep to mount, counter to same, and a biceps crush from the guard with a sweep. We then rolled a few minutes each round for a few rounds.

20. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

12/6 - Judo class, 1 hour. Warm-up, ukemi, body pulls, shrimping, and light calisthenics to start. We then trained more on ippon seoinage, focused a lot on osoto gari, then drilled a newaza transition (osoto gari to kesa gatame). They then gave a brief demo and introduction to tournament rules and scoring.