Kuk Sool Won

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Peaceful_John, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Peaceful_John

Peaceful_John New Member

Hello all.

I've recently went on a "tour de martial arts" trying to find a local school with a style I like. I found a local school that teaches a form of Kung Fu know as "chan wushu". I really love the chinese martial arts, but this particular school was of poor quality. It is more important to learn from a quality school even though it may not be the first style I would have picked than to learn a style I like from a poor instructor. So, I looked elsewhere and found a "kuk Sool Won" school. From what I've read it looks to be very well-rounded. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the art, and if so what did you think. All I know really is that it's a Korean art, and it is very "flowing" like hapkido. If you guys have had experience with this art, let me know what you think.

2. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

- I remember when Kuk Sool Won first came to the USA in the early 1980's (or at least gained any prominence, may arrived earlier). It is an off-shoot of Hapkido which until the late 1960's used Hapkido within it's name. They try to dress it up a little differently now, and in fairness it has developed it's own idenity and character, but for the most part, there is not too big a difference between it and many other Hapkido sub-styles from a functional point of view.

3. Peaceful_John

Peaceful_John New Member

Awsome!! I've always liked Hapkido. This will be the third martial arts school i've visited in the last two weeks. As long as there is a good instructor then it looks like my new style.