Kuk Sool Won in Humble TX ?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by KSN_Princess, Feb 13, 2012.

1. KSN_Princess

KSN_Princess Kuk Sool Won Princess

Hi Ya'll
    Im moving to humble tx & was wondering if there is any Kuk Sool Won Schools in Humble TX?
    IF u know of any pls post them here.
    Thanks
    Mz. Lu

2. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

3. MUSOOLJOHN

MUSOOLJOHN AKA KUKSOOLJOHN

Yep, after that there are 2 in the woodlands just 30 mls away. All are quality instructors.

4. KSN_Princess

KSN_Princess Kuk Sool Won Princess

I think your right Xanth. i found an address that was just right on 59 n but i think that was their old location? - 23976 hwy 59 N humble tx 77339

5. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

I THINK that was Master Roper's old school, I was only there once but it was right off the freeway/interstate. I would suggest you research each potential school( I mean you can't really go wrong like KUKSOOLJOHN said all quality Instructors) and learn the traffic tendencies, also it might be more beneficial to find one closer to where you will be working. Houston traffic is a nightmare for first timers. Also interview each instructor see if there style of teaching bc they vary greatly between each, to see which is right for you. Good luck hope your training goes well.

6. VegasMichelle

VegasMichelle Valued Member

Hi KSN_Princess, please correct me if I am mistaken, but wasn't your old school a non-WKSA school? I think your status as a blue belt will probably allow you to transition into a WKSA school well. I think if you were higher ranked (a BB), you might have some problems as WKSA schools generally don't let you carry your rank from a non-WKSA school over very easily.

7. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

I hope not to misunderstand this: but, are you saying that she can keep her blue belt rank if going to a WKSA school but she would probably not keep her rank if she was higher ranked (a BB)? The reason I am asking is you say "WKSA schools generally don't let you carry your rank from a non-WKSA school over very easily."

Unless the rules changed the WKSA does NOT recognize any rank other than theirs. I am just curious if the rules changed or I am miss reading this.

I do agree that the transition from a non WKSA school to a WKSA school would make it easier for her than going to any other non Kuk Sool / Mu Sool / ect ect ect style. :evil:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  8. VegasMichelle

In the WKSA, who promotes a blue belt to a red stripe? Is it the schoolowner/instructor of each school or HQs? Does a schoolowner have to call into HQ for permission each and every time they want to promote a blue belt to a red stripe? What about at BB level? Can a schoolowner promote a 3rd dahn to a 4th dahn without notifying HQ?

Perhaps KSN_Princess can let us know what happens with her case. I tend to think if she ends up at a WKSA school, the instructor will see what she knows and probably let her retain her current blue belt rank. You seem to suggest that she MUST start over at white belt.

9. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

True but that is not what I read from your post.

No. But is not there not still a 3 month minimum between beltsranks, from white belt to Dahn Boh Nim? So, if she came from a NON WKSA school she would have to start all over, unless these rules have changed. HAVE THEY?

Well lets look at this: a School owner can NOT promote a student to Black Belt when I was in the WKSA. Grand Master has to be at the first and last Balck Belt test to promote them. Yes, it is the instructors decision if they pass or not the test really does not mean a thing. So notifying HQ, to me is to make sure the paperwork is filled out and the money has changed hands.

I am! That is the way it was! If you are a teacher in the WKSA and you do not know this I am confused about things. Have they changed there way of thinking to allow NON WKSA trained students to keep the rank they had when transferring. Does that mean a student could train at a non WKSA school and then after reaching let's say Dahn Boh Nim level they could switch to a WKSA school, start testing for there Black Belt and in a year later get it? What about Black Belts, could a 4th degree Black Belt from a non, WKSA school just transfer into the WKSA as a 4th Dan (if they knew the material)?

:evil:

10. VegasMichelle

Then you misread or are just trolling and starting trouble. You left the WKSA due to a supposed standards issue, amongst others, which the jury is still out on (I'd love for you to show up at Master Harmon's school and tell him that KS under the WKSA has been watered down and the teachers don't teach). Don't let your personal grievances impose your POV in a situation where the OP is simply looking for a new school.

IIRC, the OP started at a WKSA school. This school left the WKSA. The OP is not coming from a non-KS system nor is she coming from a place where no one knows her original instructors. There was actually a memo posted on the WKSA website concerning this type of situation not long ago.

11. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

I have no trouble telling anyone including Barry Harmon what my opinion is. They are just human beings. They are nothing to fear or worship. If you have read any of my post I have always have said there are still some good teachers in the WKSA but allot of them are not (In MY opinion.)

You are the one that stated that you thought she was coming form a NON WKSA school.
    NOT ME!

I am not fishing for trouble, I am stating things like I see them. You still have not commented on anything that I have questioned you on. You seem to be side stepping the questions....

:evil:

12. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Allow me to interject, if KSN_Princess was ever a WKSA member then there will be records. If she joins a WKSA school the instructor will research those records and find out what her official rank was, she will then start at that level and progress from there. Any questions?

13. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

That is what I thought! It was that way when I was in the WKSA. :evil:

14. VegasMichelle

Why do you think you're the only one that gets to express an opinion? You're not. I don't consider you qualified to pass judgement on other instructors considering 1) you, yourself, are not as skilled as some you bash and 2) you
    are no grandmaster who determines skill and knowledge and therefore promotes these instructors.

No, it was me who ASKED if she was. It was you who ran with the notion and started trolling. You cannot ask others to read what you have said if you don't give others the same courtesy.

Then you are blind. I absolutely did address your questions, you simply have not read carefully. The WKSA posted a memo on their website about this issue and answered your questions already. For someone who bashed the WKSA so much and thinks he knows whats going on...it seems you are doing so without information.

The OP is in a situation where her old school left the WKSA. As Obewan noted, there may be records....and thus I stated that she probably will retain her rank. I also stated that the instructor of her new school would make the final decision based upon how much she knows...since the new instructor would probably like to correlate skill with rank in the transition along with documentation.

15. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

First I invite you to Oklahoma to train with me. This way you will have the first hand knowledge if I am or am NOT qualified and skilled. To my knowledge you have NEVER trained with me and NEVER seen me teach. So, your opinion if I am or not qualified is MUTE! My response was toward you wanting me to go tell Barry Harmon something.

Yes, you did ASK. But the OP never replied. So we still do not know for sure if she was or was not from a renegade school.

If this is true then what about the WKSA's stance on "member of good standing" being relinquished when she stayed with the school that left? Does the WKSA let that person back into the WKSA after they left? And what about if the OP left as a white belt, but wants to return as a Blue belt? Will the WKSA recognize the blue belt? With what I quoted here, you are saying the the "INSTRUCTOR" would make that decision not the WKSA? What are your thoughts on those questions.....:evil:

16. VegasMichelle

You have no clue what is moot and what is not. You open yourself to criticism by questioning the instruction caliber of other instructors...and not worrying about betterment of yourself and your students. There will always be someone better, stronger, faster, smarter, etc...so bashing the instruction of folks in the WKSA places yourself in a slippery slope considering your betters now have cause to use your own criticism against you.

As for Oklahoma...LOL. I thought you didn't have a school anymore? LOL. In any case, as I have posted in the tournament thread, I invite KS people to come to NAGA and compete. I have been to 6 so far. It is great fun. We don't live in feudal times where a challenger goes to a rival's dojang and beats up the instructor and takes over as the new master...LOL. I'd rather you show up and compete against fully resisting other MAists and see how you fare. Maybe you'll make some new friends and open your eyes.

The OP has been on and off MAP since 2010. She has introduced herself and named who her instructor was...perhaps you missed that part. It seems you have been missing alot. Instead of reading and THINKING first before posting, you seem to take a little phrase, troll around, and then spout out a reactionary reply. Notice your questions...well, I have already logically followed and asked similar questions on post #8. You are behind the times.

17. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

Wait a second VM, if the NAGA is a tournament and you have gone to 6 so far and you are in the WKSA... FLASH BACK: a meeting of of all the school owners of Kuk Sool Won (the day the WKSA was born) where we all sat in a banquet hall listiening to Barry Harmon read the "NEW Quality Assurance Program" to us. The question of going to outside tournaments came up and we where told, YOU ARE NOT TO GO TO OPEN TOURNAMENTS, YOUR STUDENTS ARE TO BE DISCOURAGED TO GOING TO OPEN TOURNAMENTS!" For it is against the rules of the WKSA.... so are you saying you are in violation of the WKSA rules? or again have they changed.

I do not have a school but I still train 5 days a week and work out with several of my Black Belts. We do not call it a school for we are friends and we do not charge money or bring new people into to teach. We practice, practice, practice. I have ten acres of land that we work out on. It is all outdoor training which includes horse back techniques and Archery. So I would love to see you come down, over, up or what ever to Oklahoma and work out with us.

No still waiting on REAL answers and not answers that attack... I know for a fact there are KS people better than myself. I also see the problems as a once insider and now "Renegade" of the WKSA ( in my opinion ). One of the problems I see and you can print this out and give it to Master Harmon or In Hyuk Suh for all care is that when a school gets so big that you are mostly concerned on keeping a student that is "below par" by passing them to the next level of rank just because they have been there for 3 months but they still do not know the curriculum. This I have a problem with. I have been told personally by Master Harmon and In Hyuk Suh that under black belt students should be passed every 3 months. Even if they do not know the information. They told me it was a business first. I understand the concept but I could not do this to my students. NO STUDENT LEFT BEHIND, is a great thought, but the implementing of it has been crap. The schools are dumb'ng down the quality instead of bringing it up. This is what I noticed in allot ( not all ) of the WKSA schools.

As of going back and checking all the posts in different treads about the OP, I have life that takes up allot of my time and I post very little on here. I would rather take 3 minutes of my day to quickly right a response early in the morning for after I get home, than take time to go back and research stuff. Forgive me for taking what you said as fact or possible fact.:evil:

18. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

As an under BB as I understand one could relocate and rejoin WKSA as they have no control over what their instructors do/did. They would have to start at the last rank issued through WKSA, even if that student attained a BB at the renegade school. The WKSA instructor has no influence on raising or lowering that persons rank without written permission from WKSA.

19. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

Obewan, as always (well most of the time) you are on the same page as myself. This is what I thought. Does this also stand for BB's that have there school leave? Can they just find another WKSA school and join back in even if they stayed with the renegade school for awhile? Does that not go against the WKSA rule that a BB can not study another Martial Art and keep there "good standings" with the WKSA? Do you know of any such events happening first hand? I understand that the WKSA is OWNED by the Suh family and it is there way or the Highway, but I am interested in if they have let Renegades some back into the fold? NOT FOR ME, but I do keep in contact with others that I can pass this information on to. Let me know OBEWAN! The padawan is waiting for the knowledge.

20. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

That's where it gets tricky, I think it could go either way with BB that are not school owners. I think that if they didn't resign from WKSA then perhaps they could continue at another school, but a formal request and review probably would be required. Again I'm not speaking for WKSA on this, and I haven't had any experience with the process, so this just speculation on my part.