Kuk Sool Tattoo

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by PSBN TREV, Jun 11, 2013.

1. PSBN TREV

PSBN TREV New Member

Hey sirs/ma'ams,

I just promoted to 3rd Dahn this past weekend and finally decided to go ahead and get myself a Kuk Sool related tattoo. I was wondering if any of you have one yourself, if so where is it located, size, and design? Im looking for ideas! This will be my first one to get and I have always wanted get a Kuk Sool tattoo. If you can help me out here, I would appreciate it!

Thanks,

PSBN TREV

2. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Good general tattoo advise. Be VERY picky about who does it for you. Someone who has been doing it awhile. I always like seeing pictures of past work. Of course awards and being featured in industry publications is nice. You're gonna wear this for a long time, it's worth being picky and paying a little more to get it done.

3. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  4. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

Whatever you do, don't get anything in Hangul. If you must, get Hanja, and make sure you're going to a tattoist who knows Chinese calligraphy, and isn't just copying from a picture.

Bad things can happen.

Horrible, horrible things.

5. PSBN TREV

PSBN TREV New Member

Thanks guys, this will help me a bunch! And thanks Obewan, im going to check out that link!

6. JoKyoNimJey

JoKyoNimJey Valued Member

Why is that?

7. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

Largely because Hangul the majority of martial arts terms and slogans found in KMA are directly derived from Hanja. The Hangul of these terms is not necessarily going to have one specific meaning, as various Hanja have the same phonetic Hangul. For specificity and accuracy's sake, go to the Hanja.

Trust me, you don't want to get a tattoo that means "Skilled Person" to you, but the average Korean is going to read as "Diahrhea".

8. PSBN TREV

PSBN TREV New Member

Thanks for the response to JKN Jey's question MadMonk108, good advice

9. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

Can you provide an example of "KUK SOOL" in Hanja?

Thx

10. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

a few of my students have Kuk Sool tattoos...I have an OLD one from back in 1990, really small Kuk Sool Hangul - which probably reads = noodles

11. JoKyoNimJey

The hangul is 국술
    It does not mean noodles. 국 As in 한국 (hanguk), the hangul for Korea.
    술 As in 무술 (mu sool), meaning martial arts. The word kuksool means national martial art, loosely. 술, when combined with things like 무(술)or 예(술) denotes skill or art. 국, when combined with (국)기 or 한(국) denotes a national or governing body association.

술 By itself apparently means alcohol...

12. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

Just a suggestion: remember the ART is what is special to you. So, just like putting a name on your body rule (only children s names) do not put anything that deals with an group of people you may not be with until you die. Example: you can put the words 국술 on you but not a schools logo (Kuk Sool Won of ???) No Masters names, but general images of what you love is great. My neighbor is a great tattoo artist and his clients are told the same. So in short no WON, no Pictures of IHS, no logo but images of the art or Korea Martial Arts GREAT! just my 2 cents worth.:evil:

13. JoKyoNimJey

Exactly Tulsa. I've told so many people that same thing. While the Won treats me and trev well, we may not have that sentiment later on. But we will always love kuk sool as an art. Very well put.