Kuk Sool style forum

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Gary, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Thanks....that definitely adds perspective. I knew
    there was a reason I was hanging on to that old Triumph of mine!!

BTW: The Chicago area is considered the highest gas prices in the US and they have been hovering right around the $3.40USD mark. :bang:

I guess now I have an idea of how bad things could get, yes?

BTW: What does that Beemer get to the gallon?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

2. jamesdevice

jamesdevice Jötunn

I presume thats a Bonneville and not a TR6?

3. Bruce W Sims

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  4. jamesdevice

jamesdevice Jötunn

Nice
    Hope you got a good one - the crankcases on some of those were porous because they used sand moulds, not steel. But if you get a good one they're great

5. jamesdevice

jamesdevice Jötunn

Going back to the pro/anti Confucius argument we had earlier, I turned up this little gen today in a paper titled "Was the Korean Slave Market Efficient?":

"While the government owned many slaves
    (450,000 in 1467), slaves were also privately owned by the Yangban. Wealthy families
    commonly owned around 50 slaves per family, and some Confucian academies had over 700 slaves registered."
    and
    "The data presented in Table 4 shows that female slaves were more frequently traded than were men, a trend that got stronger during the 19th century. Moreover, the average age of slaves sold during the entire period is 18. There is not a great variance over the centuries (see Appendix B). In conclusion, it appears that over time, slave transactions were mostly of women and young people"
    Any surprise there?

http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/14735/1/Brezis-slaves.pdf

6. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

And the romans had slaves, and the americans (christians) had slaves, and the greeks had slaves, just about everybody had slaves at one point or another. So, it is not proper to tie slavery to confucianism any more than anything else. Humans have had slaves regardless of their own religions, ethics, politics, etc.

7. jamesdevice

jamesdevice Jötunn

but most of those realised the error of their ways well before 1894

And I don't remember too many Christian religious houses with slaves, let alone 700 of them (unless you include the Spanish in South America....)

8. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

You are so wrong with regard to slavery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abolition_of_slavery_timeline#1900.E2.80.93today

Abolition of slavery timeline
    1900–today
    * 1906 China formally abolishes slavery and the law became effective on 31 January 1910, when all adult slaves were converted into hired labourers and the young were freed upon reaching age 25.[13]
    * 1912 Siam (Thailand), formally abolishes all slavery. The act of selling a person into slavery was abolished in 1897 but slavery itself was not outlawed at that time.[43]
    * 1921 Nepal abolishes slavery[44][45]
    * 1923 Afghanistan abolishes slavery[46]
    * 1924 Iraq abolishes slavery
    * 1924 League of Nations Temporary Slavery Commission
    * 1926 Slavery Convention. Bound all signatories to end slavery Convention to Suppress the Slave Trade and Slavery (25 September 1926)
    * 1928 Iran abolishes slavery[47]
    * 1928 Domestic slavery practised by local African elites abolished in Sierra Leone[48] (ironically established as a place for freed slaves). A study found practices of domestic slavery still widespread in rural areas in the 1970s.
    * 1935 Italian General Emilio De Bono proclaims slavery to be abolished in the Ethiopian Empire[49]
    * 1936 Britain eradicates slavery in Northern Nigeria[50]
    * 1942 Ethiopian Empire abolishes slavery
    * 1945 In the subsequent defeat of Nazi Germany and Japan, workcamps for slave labor (primarily Jewish encampments in Nazi Germany and colonists in Japanese-dominated lands) were gradually closed by the liberators.
    * 1946 Fritz Sauckel, procurer of slave labor for Nazi Germany, convicted at the Nuremberg trials and executed as war criminal.
    * 1948 UN Article 4 of the Declaration of Human Rights bans slavery globally[51]
    * 1952 Qatar abolishes slavery
    * 1959 Slavery in Tibet is abolished by China after the Dalai Lama flees.
    * 1960 Niger abolishes slavery[52]
    * 1962 Saudi Arabia abolishes slavery
    * 1962 Yemen abolishes slavery
    * 1963 United Arab Emirates abolishes slavery
    * 1970 Oman abolishes slavery
    * 1981 Mauritania abolishes slavery[53][54][55]

While now illegal everywhere, slavery or practices akin to it continue today in many countries throughout the world.

9. jamesdevice

jamesdevice Jötunn

you could hardly call any of those examples of shining freedom though can you?

Most of them were due to oppressive regimes and none were organiised through a "civilised" religion. Italy and Germany were both going through the abnormalities of WWII, while Britain brought a law into force in Nigeria specifically so that raiding Arabs from outside the country could be more easily dealt with legally.

10. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

Confucianism had NOTHING to do with the creation or maintaining of slavery or slave trading. Ultimately, what you are trying to do is make derogatory statements regarding confucianism of which you have no real understanding.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  11. jamesdevice

jamesdevice Jötunn

the Chinese seem to think otherwise - and as they had to put up with him I'd guess they are in a good position to know
    http://people.reed.edu/~brashiek/syllabi/Poster/running.html

edit - just found the illustrated poster version
    http://people.reed.edu/~brashiek/syllabi/Poster/Title Page.html

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  12. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

I wanted to add to your comment Bruce. The state employees should have never had the right to collective bargaining in the first place, it is a huge conflict of interest. The dues of these unions are collected and donated to political campaigns. Now we have elected officials who are suppose to represent the tax payer on the dole from union workers, who BTW are being paid by the tax dollars. That is why the 14 Dem's fled the state, for all intensive purposes, striking against the vote to limit union power. Federal employees don't have the right to collective bargaining, for a reason, and state workers shouldn't either. The elected officials should represent the tax payer not the unions. They should start impeachment process against the 14 Dems that are not doing their job. Fire them because they defiantly are not interested in the well being of the people of the state.

13. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

My latest Beemer (E39 5-Series Diesel Auto) gets between 24 - 28mpg around town (don't forget that English or Imperial gallons are slightly different to US gallons), and anything up to 38mpg (or better) on a continuous / long distance journey. And I drive cars hard, so someone with less lead in their right foot could probably improve quite a lot on those figures.

Attached Files:

14. Bruce W Sims

Bingo!! You hit it right on the head!!

In some perverse ways the recent Global Down-turn has done us a favor. Like the water level in reservoirs during a drought, the level of financial activity becomes less and less and the thin layer of available monies reveals the many schemes that have lurked unnoticed below the surface as more people want accountability.

The Unions have hidden behind their 1910-1940 heroics for years but the Union of today does not relate to that of the 30-s anymore than the Internet-driven "grass-roots" is the same as the Populist Movement of the (Teddy) Roosevelt Era. Good Call!

Best Wishes,

Bruce

15. Bruce W Sims

Gawd....those 5 series are just soooo sweet!!

Good taste!!

Best Wishes,

Bruce