Kuk Sool Pictures and Other media

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Wolf, Aug 10, 2005.

1. shimajiro

shimajiro Valued Member

The first "word" seems to be a rudimentary "Josh" (actually closer to "jas"). I commend you on the effort i hope any critical review doesn't quell your future efforts at Korean. It is not an easy translation. It is an attractive sword in that it is simple and not overly adorned. Good luck and......
    "make it sing"

2. Out-to-Lunch

Out-to-Lunch Valued Member

Hello all,
    Studude had the hangul that is on the scabbard correct (잣 밧가ㅟㄷㅅ)...I actually only worked the first part (Jas) the rest was places on the sword as I was not sure how to do it...My surname is Paszkiewicz...its Polish, pronounced "Pas-Kay-Vish", but in America everyone (including my family) says "Pas Ka Wits" or "Pas-Kie-Wits"...My first stab at it would be "밧 가 윗"...
    Does that make sense to anyone?

take care all,
    --josh

3. Studude67

Studude67 The hungry fighter

That certainly is a toughie, maybe 바스가위즈 thats about as close as i can get to Pas Ka Wits or 바스가윘스

Becasue when written like this... 밧 가 윗 the first character (밧) would be pronounced Pat due to the constonant ㄱ following the ㅅ so it all sounds more like pat ga wit.

ofcourse it is always open for interpretation, id like to hear someone elses view too

4. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

some of kings lynn's blackbelts

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx2RHKpKrzo"]Kings Lynn Kuk Sool Won Black Belts - YouTube[/ame]

5. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

lol, the green hornet theme is my ringtone :D kept looking at my phone during that vid.

6. JSun

JSun Valued Member

7. Shesulsa

Shesulsa Valued Member

My goodness those look familiar.

8. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

How so?

9. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

The "Gene Gauss" video list is pretty awesome. The grainy black and white videos with the techniques labelled... are they available as a DVD or in some form (looks like a commercially produced reference video)?

10. JSun

JSun Valued Member

Wished I knew, Thomas. I haven't seen anything like those videos available through the association. I'm particularly fond of #18. The way those guys did ki cho hyung looks way better than the way I was taught it. It's so much more smooth and powerful.

11. turk944

turk944 Valued Member

Those videos were really interesting. It is neat to see the evolution of the style from these videos to the videos of today. The audio portion really brought me back to the old filmstrips that you used to see in grade school and Jr. High School. I keep waiting for the "beep" that told the teacher to advance the slide :)

12. Out-to-Lunch

I'm pretty sure they are shared with HRD

13. Thomas

and Hapkido

14. shimajiro

shimajiro Valued Member

funny a few weeks ago I found an old vhs tape with no label and I popped it into the old vhs player and whadda ya know!! it was the that entire vid of kuk sa nim from '74. I knew I had it but I thought I lost it anyway the genegause snippets do not show everything .. there is some interesting info . if I can digitize it I will try to get it posted if I can find the time.

15. Out-to-Lunch

That would be GREAT Choi :-D

16. Shesulsa

Shesulsa Valued Member

Indeed they appear to be QUITE similar.

17. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

That would be awesome if you could do that.

What's the history of the video? Was it something formally produced and distributed?

18. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

I always thought that that video was the video Dr. Kimm talks about making when KSN came down on the weekends to train him.

19. shimajiro

shimajiro Valued Member

Not much to it, when KSN came to the USA, (although he may have been sponsored by Ken Duncan) He actually flew over with 2 Kuk Sool Masters - Pak, Young Il and Pak, Myoung Goo, and I think they actually were in New Orleans, Louisiana. At that time kimm, he-young, who at the time was a HKD guy in Baton Rouge, went to visit KSN in N.O. Apparently someone happened to have a video camera there and convinced KSN, who was probably reluctant, to video these skills. The beginning of the vid shows KSN and Pak, Myoung Goo doing mon puhl ki (warm ups) (btw Pak, Myoung Goo was EXTREMELY flexible). Most of the techs on the vid were done on Pak, Myoung Goo, and some on Kimm, He Young. AFAIK it was not formally produced or distributed. FWIW it seems like it wasn't long after this time period that HYK was wearing a KSW masters uniform... apparently some corroboration had occurred. not that it matters but it's my guess that this vid was HYK's reference source for ks tech...and some one got a copy and on and on and on.........

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  20. Thomas

I know that Dr. He-young Kimm was recognized by GM Suh In Hyuk as an 8th dan in KSW (1991) and by Hapkido GM Ji Han Jae as a 9th dan in Hapkido (1990).