Kuk Sool Checkin

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Wolf, Apr 11, 2005.

1. beky_boo8

beky_boo8 Valued Member

Hi! JKN Beky from Dereham here! I didn't know there were so many peeps on here!

2. KSWsam99

KSWsam99 New Member

Hi, my name is Sam and I just got promoted to Jo Kyo Nim and I'm from Texas.

3. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

Hey beky and sam. Welcome to MAP. Always nice to have more KSW folks on here! :D

4. Pride&Poise

Pride&Poise Valued Member

Hi, I'm from Northern California and promoted to Dan Bo Nim about a month ago.

5. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

hello. welcome to map and congrats on your promotion.

:)

6. Pride&Poise

Pride&Poise Valued Member

7. Wolf

glad to have ya hear P&P

8. Hemi

Hemi New Member

Hello, Im from the Bay Area in California

9. Wolf

Welcome aboard Hemi!

10. MadisonKSN

MadisonKSN New Member

Hello everyone! I've been practicing Kuk Sool Won for eight years now. Got a late start in the martial arts....after much research I decided to train in KSW.

******okay, after I saw the weapons demo I was hooked. I LOVE me some sharp objects.....*sigh*

11. swntzu

swntzu has left MAP for a bit

Glad to see another kuk sool in join the fold. Have fun in MAP!

That's a pretty good reason to join! :D

The clincher for me was seeing the acrobatics that my now instructor performs at the demo before he opened his school. After seeing that I knew that that was the kind of thing that I'd always wanted to do.

That and the sword and staff forms too. :D

12. Wolf

I welcomed you once to chat KSN, now I'll welcome you to the board. Glad to have you here.

13. Joshua Powell

Joshua Powell A white knight

To late to say this? Josh here;) I do Kuk Sool as well as another Japanese martial art.

14. Dubu

Dubu Valued Member

Ive been putting this off for quite a bit i realise.

Hello everybody, ive been doing kuk sool won since january however on my very first night there (having recently ditched lau gar kung fu for kuk sool) i ap cha gi'd a body pad and my knee cap popped out of place.

Ive been back a couple of months now and can honestly say its the best martial art ive ever done (and ive tried a helluva lot).

Lets just hope the knee holds out!

Mark

15. ember

ember Valued Member

Welcome, Josh and Dubu!

16. Chrisval

Chrisval New Member

Chris from Northern CA

Hi just joined the MAP...

I am a high Blue belt in Jiu Sool Do (we follow basically the same curriculum as KSW with a few changes/additions from Hapkido, TKD and BJJ...SBN holds Black Belt in 5-6 styles). FYI Our organization split of from Ho Kuk Mu Sul a couple of years back.

Just a question is there anywhere on the web that has video of KSW forms? I would be interested to see how other schools perform them. I know for certain that we have made minor changes to Cho Geop Hyung.

17. swntzu

What's that? :confused:

18. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

It's one of the many offshoot systems that has much of it's origins in KSW. And since
    It's another name for Kuk Sool. But a different and independent organisation.

BTW the character for sool is pronounced jitsu in japanese which would lead one to say that Jiu Sool Do is jiu jitsu do (jp) or yu sool do (kor). Not that it matters, but just for clarity.

Many years ago the ksw uniforms had "'ho kuk moo yea" (Martial art used to defend the nation) on the back. instead of "sae gye kuk sool hub hwe" (world kuk sool assoc) as they do now.

19. swntzu

There seem to be a very large number of splits from the WKSA.

Most of you probably already know this, but I'd like to add that Tang Soo Do in Japanese reads "Karate-Do" (as Karate originally meant "China hand" and only became "empty hand" after the alteration of the first character). This is even more pointless, but I thought I'd just post it.

SilentMonk and myself recently had a few discussions about the Korean words on the back of the instructor uniform. This clears things up nicely. Thanks.

20. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Was your instructor's teacher master Chi from Santa Cruz?