KSW: Which Curriculum?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Wolf, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

I'm curious as to the syllabus that everyone is used to. I learned under what apparantly is the "old syllabus," which is different that what is on the WKSA website. This was:
    White Belt:
    Ki Bohn Soo
    Yellow:
    Sohn Mohk Soo, Eui Bohk Soo, Ahn Sohn Mohk Soo
    Blue:
    Maek Chi Ki, Maek Cha Ki, Joo Muhk Maga Ki Bohn Soo
    Red:
    Jeung Geup Sohn Mohk Soo, Ahp Eui Bohk Soo
    Brown/Brown Black:
    Dee Eui Bohk Soo, Kwan Juhl Ki, Too Ki, Bong Too Ki, Mohk Joh Leu Ki, Yahng Sohn Mohk Soo, Ssang Soo, Dahn Do Mahk Ki
    The WKSA's posted curriculum is:
    White:
    Same
    Yellow:
    Sohn Mohk Soo, Eui Bohk Soo
    Blue:
    Ahn Sohn Mohk Soo, Maek Chi Ki
    Red:
    Maek Cha Ki, Joo Muhk Maga Ki Bohn Soo
    Brown:
    Jeung Geup Sohn Mohk Soo, Ahp Eui Bohk Soo
    Brown-Black:
    Dee Eui Bohk Soo, Kwan Juhl Ki, Too Ki, Bong Too Ki, Mohk Joh Leu Ki, Yahng Sohn Mohk Soo, Ssang Soo, Dahn Do Mahk Ki

I'm just curious which curriculum everyone else has followed. I'm getting ready to start up a club here where I'm at, and I'm trying to decide which to use.

2. TXKukSoolBB

TXKukSoolBB Valued Member

It has changed. There are three curriculums that need to be followed. There is the Jr. BB (ages 12 and under), the Youth (13-17), and the Adult (18 and over). You will notice that Dahn Doh Mah Ki is only taught at the adult level now. Here is a link to Harlan JKN's site where they are listed. Good luck with your club!
    http://www.kswdallas.com/testing schedules.htm

Edit...I went through the "old course" outline too. This change is very recent.

3. baubin2

baubin2 New Member

I noticed that on the WKSA website. But I didn't know it had changed, I just thought that my instructors were using a slightly altered syllabus. I went through the old one too then (obviously :))

4. justinksw

justinksw Valued Member

interesting...

I am on the old belt curriculum. What is interesting to me is that the school is trying to have both at the same time. My last technique was Kwan Juhl Ki #4. Some of us 'old school' curriculum folks are being caught up to by the new curriculum people.

I tried asking about this curriculum change to one of our instructors and was basically shot down because, *gasp* 'how dare you ask when you are going to test!". I tried to convey that this was not at all what I was asking, but alas, it's none of my business when others test, I need only worry about my own training.

This brings to light another topic for me... I think I'll start that thread later during my lunch break.

Oh yeah - that reminds me: just when are we KSW'ers going to be worthy of our own slot in the 'Styles' section??

5. spqrrowhawk

spqrrowhawk New Member

Hey Paul

How did your the move go?

I say stick with the old style. I think it does a great job of grouping different technique sets together. The traditional yellow belt techniques are all about reacting to someone grabbing you, the blue belt techniques all include working off the kick punch, etc. I think that is why so many instructors still stick to it.

My only comment on the old system is that I think Dee Eui Bohk Soo should be taught with Jeung Geup Sohn Mohk Soo and Ahp Eui Bohk Soo. But then again all three of the sets can be difficult to learn and in total they contain 50 techniques, so teaching all of them together would put a huge load of red belts.

6. Wolf

The move went really well. We still have a lot of crap to find places for, but it's coming together. I'm going to start recruiting during this next week. Basically that just means hanging flyers all over the place. I'm also setting up a website in advance. Here it is is:
    http://webpages.charter.net/kuksool
    I still have to add some pictures to it, but it's getting there.

7. Wolf

Oh, and JustinKSW, I agree. I think it's time we got our own style section :D

8. ember

ember Valued Member

I'm not sure quite what curriculum we're on, it's a little complicated by the stripe system. I think the adults are on the old curriculum, but the juniors and teens have been mostly switched over.

For yellow stripe, we've always required Sohn Pae Gi 1-5, and that hasn't changed. We used to be told to do as much of Ki Cho Hyung as we know, but students are now expected to know 1-3. (This goes for everyone, juniors through adults.)

Off the top of my head, I think for adults it's:

Yellow belt: Ki Bohn Soo
    Blue Stripe: Sohn Mohk Soo
    Blue Belt: Eue Bok Soo and Ahn Sohn Mok Soo
    Red Stripe: Mak Chi Ki and Mak Cha Ki
    Red Belt: Joong Mok Maga Ki Bohn Soo
    Brown Stripe: Joong Geup Sohn Mok Soo
    Brown Belt: Ahp Eue Bok Soo
    1st Black Stripe: Dee Eue Bok Soo
    2nd Black Stripe: Kwan Juhl Ki
    Then for black belt the rest of the sets mentioned above.

The one thing I know our school has stuck with is not getting DBN until you know Kwan Juhl Ki. Seeing as I was already there, it's no bother to me.

(BTW: the stripes would be another factor in the old testing every month / every other month debate. If you add in stripes, we're only going up a belt color every 4 months, about the semester mentioned before.)