KSW: What's with all the uniforms?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by WotEvaYuKanDo, Jul 1, 2005.

1. WotEvaYuKanDo

WotEvaYuKanDo Valued Member

Happened across a KSW class the other night while visiting a local leisure centre. I was struck by the different uniforms, most of the students had a regular black outfit, one of the seniors had a similar one but with fancy frills/tassles round the bottom of the jacket and there was another fancy (senior grade?) style as well! Why so many? Are they optional, do they signify things? Why aren't belt colours enough?

2. spqrrowhawk

spqrrowhawk New Member

There are 4 different types of uniforms.
    As you said there are the regular black uniforms. Every wears them and they are basically the plain average uniform.
    Then there are the black uniforms with yellow tassels. When you promote to 1st degree you are given one of these. Only black belts wear them.
    Also you have your instructor uniforms. They are all black and look like the regular uniforms. The only differences are they have larger cuffs on the sleeves and pants, and the wording on the back is slightly different. As I understand it only the owners of a school are allowed to wear them.
    Finally you have the generals uniforms. These are the uniforms with silver (1-3rd degree)/red-silver (4th degree)/red (5-6th degree)/gold-red (7-8th degree) stripes. These are the "suits" of kuk sool, and worn during promotion ceremonies, testing (by the graders), and tournaments.

There isn’t much purpose for the different uniforms besides to help distinguish between different ranks. But personally I think it adds a little bit of class to the art. It also helps to identify the instructors.

3. WotEvaYuKanDo

Thanks. Nicely explained.

4. WotEvaYuKanDo

Thinking about it you must actually have 5 uniforms becasue I've only ever seen pictures of In Hyuk Suh in a embroidered silky yellow affair! You mustn't forget his!

5. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

not true. myself and the other KSN at my club sometime wear the instructors uniform. they were bought for us as a thank you present for keeping the club running whilst our original instructor moved to the other side of the country. we had a period when we didn't know who would be taking over the club so it was down to us (JKN's at the time) to carry on taking the lessons.

there is also another generals uniform which only has gold stripes, worn by 9th degrees

:)

6. ember

ember Valued Member

Actually, there's the very basic uniform which is just plain black with no patches or wording at all. You can buy patches to put the logo, the flags, and such on these.

There's also the student uniform, which comes with all the basic patches already attached (they look a little nicer).

I'm also told that the sizing seems to be slightly different on the instructor uniforms. One of my practice partners cannot fit into any of the regular/student uniform pants. To get her size she has to get instructor uniform pants.

<snip>

I like the look of the general's uniforms, though I hear they're pretty pricy. Some of the JKNs at our school don't have them and wear either regular or gold-trimmed uniforms to help with gradings & promotions.