KSW: Tournament Events

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by justinksw, May 17, 2005.

1. justinksw

justinksw Valued Member

This last weekend we had a benefit tournament to raise money for one of our students who has leukemia. It got me thinking: what events do you typically see at Kuk Sool tournaments?

I have never been to any of the big national tournaments, just a couple of these. I competed in Jool-bong, Medieval Sparring, and point sparring. Those were the only 3 events they had for the different ranks/age groups.

What did they have in St. Louis or Texas?

:)

2. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

At any of the national and regional tournaments here are the events:

White through red have:
    Forms (do the form for your belt level)
    Techniques (Pick 3 techniques from the sets available for your rank)
    point sparring
    breaking (sometimes and only for 17 and older, your breaking technique is determined by your rank)

Brown:
    Same as above plus staff spins (usually brown does 1-5, 2-5 stripes does 6-10, 6 stripes and more does 11-15)
    Sometimes self defense demostration is an event too

Black (1st dahn):
    Same as above except:
    instead of staff spins you would do staff form
    sword form is added as well

3. TXKukSoolBB

TXKukSoolBB Valued Member

The only thing that I would add is at the National Tournaments there is an awesome Masters Demonstration at the end.

4. Shelltkd

Shelltkd New Member

KSW tournaments in UK

Hi, I do Uk tournaments in KSW, I also physio and do first aid for them. Thet have the same format as described above by KSWpaul, but all the national and international tournaments like November last year have a masters demo which is great!

By the way did any of you guys compete in that coz we are doing it again this year, Kuk sa Nim came as did one of his sons who put on a great little demo of his own!

5. justinksw

justinksw Valued Member

We had a demo at the end of our tournament as well - a 'demo team' that was put together from our schools went through some basic and advanced falls, a great jool-bong demo from a 1st dan, some sword forms by a few different 2nd, 3rd, and 4th dans, and then finally Master Gary Evarts did a demo of fan and rope techniques.

6. ember

ember Valued Member

Last year's tournament forms included some mention of board breaking, even though that was not an event at the competition.

Then I heard other events were offered at the Ranch the next day, like knife throwing (must be 18 or older).

We were responsible for the high schoolers at our church that day. We didn't make it up to watch, and I can't remember what other competitions they may have held.