KSW: Maek Cha Ki advice, please

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by baubin2, Jun 20, 2005.

1. baubin2

baubin2 New Member

Okay, so I'm in the middle of learning Maek Cha Ki in class right now. The techniques themselves are not really that difficult, though I'm really going to need to work on my kicks (especially spin kick, low spin kick, and inside round kick) but I am having a lot of trouble performing some of the techniques that require you to kick the head :bang: . Maek Cha Ki 9, 10, 12, 13, and somewhat on 14. This is partially because I am shorter than most of the people I pair off with, and partially because I am not very flexible. I was just wondering whether anyone here might want to offer me some advice on performing these techniques. I know the obvious answers, such as stretch more, and practice my kicks, but if there are any tips/tricks someone might like to share, I'd really appreciate it.

2. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

Sorry to say it, but all you really can do is practice and stretch those muscles a lot. Work specificall on hip flexors and hamstrings as far as stretching goes. The only one that I can give you some advice with other than stretching is number 10 - round kick to the side of the neck - try leaning your upper body down a bit more if you can without losing your balance. That will give you more slack on your muscles and allow you to kick a bit higher. Sorry I can't be of more help, but that's the nature of high kicks :D

3. TXKukSoolBB

TXKukSoolBB Valued Member

The only two cents that I would add is that I cannot make the #12 or #14 kicks either with someone who is over 6 feet tall. What I do for #14, in this case is a jump spin kick. That is how I make up the difference. However, check with your instructor before trying this. Some instructors do not like even the slightest modification to a technique and I do not want to be disrespectful to a fellow instructor. Otherwise, with #12 I simply try my best. (it would almost look like a scorpion kick for me to get my hook kick that high on a 6+ footer.) The main thing is that you know the technique. Even though in a real-life situation you would never use a #12 etc. due to physical limitations.

Keep training hard!

4. baubin2

baubin2 New Member

Good idea with the jump-spin kick. I don't know how to do it really yet, but as I get better at kuk sool, I'll probably try this.

5. ember

ember Valued Member

I'm one of the shortest adults around, and I can do Mak Cha Ki #12. The trick is to use the block to grab the arm, and then pull them over to where they're in reach.

#13 is tough to get the face, but I've been told to just go as high as I can.

As for 14, so far I've just been told to do mid-level spin kick, wherever it ends up being.

6. justinksw

justinksw Valued Member

I agree with emberKSW on #12 - I also grab the arm and pull them down to get the kick on target.

I just love #13 because it is landed right on the numbers. If you landed this on someone they are most likely going to be carted off unconscious.

For #14, you just have to work on the stretches a bit to really get it. Keep in mind if you were actually doing this on someone, they are going to tend to crouch down a bit in anticipation (unless you're lightning fast) and you may have to adjust your spin kick to make sure you get a good landing. Practice your spin kick and get accurate - this will help you tons.

Hope this helps! :)

7. spqrrowhawk

spqrrowhawk New Member

I've have got two things to say. First if you have a chance, go to seminar and dont be afraid to ask questions. KJN Barry Harmon is teaching everyone Maek Chi Ki and Maek Cha Ki. I went yesterday and I learned a lot. Everyone did including a few KSNs and PSBNs.

Secondly one thing that might help with kicking those targets is not to step so far back on the defensive step. Remember the farther you step back the farther you have to kick to reach the target. In Maek Cha Ki (like every other technique set) adjusting the placement of you feet can have enormous effects on the quality of the technique.

Also practice practice practice! Thats about all the advise i can give.

8. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

don't forget that maek cha ki's are pressure point strikes so as long as you know where you are supposed to be striking then an instrutor can't fail you in a grading because of physical restraints.

my standing roundhouse (bahl deung) and hook (pahl kum chi) kicks aren't very high and i've never had a problem with this in gradings. that said all you can do is practice and your kicks will improve

dave
    KSN

9. baubin2

baubin2 New Member

I wasn't worried about gradings, didn't even cross my mind. It's my performance I care about. But still, thanks for the reassurance:)