KSW: Favorite Technique

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by baubin2, May 2, 2005.

1. zac_duncan

zac_duncan New Member

No, It's taught from a wrist grab. I'm pretty sure that it's either Go Keup Sohn Mak Su or Gahk Do Bub.

Basicly it starts like Sohn Mak Su #1, with an outside arm bar, but you guide your opponent to a kneeling position and throw your left leg over his arm directly at his wrist while bracing his elbow with your right knee. I'm 90 percent sure that it's from the same set of techniques that features the head between the legs "pile driver". Sound familiar?

Also, good luck to you and thanks for wishing me luck. I'll need it.

-zac

2. TXKukSoolBB

TXKukSoolBB Valued Member

That is the set. Sorry, I misread your previous post. I took it as they began with the leg locks. The entire set is awesome. The only downside to that technique, for me, is that at 5'7" I can't practice it on the tall guys. I'm not that flexible! I have great success with #10. I love the thumb lock!

3. zac_duncan

zac_duncan New Member

I'm fairly tall, 6'1'' but I'm not especially flexible so I know what you mean with that technique. To make it work for me, I need to step into my opponent when executing the first part of the lock and shift my hips wide towards the back to bring them almost all the way down before throwing my leg over.

That's why I prefer this as a finishing or pinning method rather than takedown in and off itself.

I like the thumb lock, too, but I find it really tricky to sink on a sweaty partner. It's a cool principle, but I'm fairly certain I couldn't pull it off if I needed to. Now, the thumb lock in Ki Bohn Bohn (I think that's the set), that one drops 'em.

4. TXKukSoolBB

You are probably talking about Ki Bohn Bohn #10. Fast thumb lock while steping into your opponent. The set also has some great finger/wrist locks: #6,7,8. I have had two bloody noses and 1 black eye thanks to "Mr. Sweaty partner." It does make techniques harder to stick, but that is a fact of life here in Texas. Plus, it's nice to take a realistic shot from time to time. Keeps you on your toes...even if it is an accident.

5. zac_duncan

zac_duncan New Member

I'm pretty sure that's the technique/set, though it's hard to recall exactly. I rarely practice those sets anymore, they're great, but my primary training these days is based more around concepts than around specific techniques, if that makes sense.

Mr. Sweaty partner is a great thing to have, as you know that when you get ahold of him, you're performing the technique correctly.

Regarding the finger techniques for wrist control, one of the masters I train under has me currently working on how manipulation of those locks can open up certin nerve point and how you can combine the two to make your take-downs all that much more painful. I don't know if you've played with that, but it's awfully fun. Partners don't like all that much, though.

6. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

LOL! I am Mr. Sweaty Partner! :D

7. Wolf

you want to talk about painful techniques though! i get to be a testing dummy while my 3rd degree instructor practices fan techniqes. those suck!

8. zac_duncan

zac_duncan New Member

If I remember correctly the fan techniques are not entirely different than the Dan Bong and Soh Bong (mini stick or pen) techniques. more striking than the soh bong.

Those do hurt. Oh, they hurt. Along with the rope, that's one of my favorite weapons. Cane hurts pretty badly too.

9. TXKukSoolBB

I find the belt techniques (you could also use the rope) to be not so fun also. At a demo last October, I almost passed out as my feet were tied to my throat as I layed on my belly. I felt my self slipping away as he pulled the rope off. Later folks were saying, "man...you make it look so real...!" I was like It was real! Then PSN laughes and said he knew all along how close I was to passing out. Yeah right! Still pretty cool though.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2005
  10. Hapkidoin P

Hapkidoin P Valued Member

Po Bak Sool... :eek:

I don't know if you guys have heard of GM Timmerman,but MAN did he lay into me in March at the Arnold..whew. I was choked,hogtied,and left for dead. I can't wait to do it again!!!! :D

BTW...if you guys ever have a chance to meet him,ask him about the Canadian gas pedal..preferably while someone else is his "helper".

11. Legless_Marine

Legless_Marine Banned Banned

By all means, I agree. Although I believe that KSW has some organizational growing pains it will yet go through, I think it is an incredible system.

12. justinksw

justinksw Valued Member

favorite technique(s)

I have been thinking about this for a bit now, seeing everyone else's response. It's really hard for me to pick a technique I can call my favorite but here are two of my favorites:

Eui Bohk Soo #5 - attacker grabs your right shoulder with their left hand (or left shoulder w/ right hand). Grab their wrist and 'peel it off' of your shoulder and step back with the opposite foot while locking the elbow with your other free hand. This is a quick and easy take down.

Ahp Eui Bohk Soo #15 - bar-room grab where they grab your shirt with one hand. Using opposite arm, reach across and go up and over their elbow, pushing down to cause their elbow to bend, reaching up to their chin, and grabbing their head with the other hand, stepping back to bring them down to the ground. Again, this is another quick take-down to get the attacker off you and get you out of there safe.

Sorry if the description is hard to understand, it's hard to put them in words without being too lengthy about it. :D

Last edited: May 6, 2005
  13. Wolf

I think you got a little mixed up. :D This is actually Eui Bohk Soo #5. Ki Bohn Soo are the foundational techniques that all start from stance.

14. TXKukSoolBB

Correct. Ki Bohn Soo #5 is the quick twisting wrist lock of having your opponents hand twisted so that his palm faces his face.

Eui Bohk Soo # 5 is a very cool technique though.

15. justinksw

justinksw Valued Member

see what I get for trying to squeeze in a post during break? I was thinking one thing and writing another... I know it... really!

Must practice..... more practice.... :bang:

16. TXKukSoolBB

Trust me...I do understand!

17. baubin2

baubin2 New Member

Friend was doing the make-up belt tests last Wednesday, and I ended up coming in an hour early to help him review b/c he didn't know the technique numbers too well. Knew the techniques, or he wouldn't have passed (duh), but his number memorization was shaky. So we basically just spent an hour with me going, "Okay, Sohn Mok Soo 5, Eui Bok Soo 12, Ah Son Mok Soo 2.... .no, that's 6, what's 2?" You get the idea. He'd spent the last couple weeks in England and making up his classwork from going to England, and hadn't had much chance to come to practice.

18. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

I like that, too, not as something I'd necessarrily use, but as something I would do if I wanted to make a Stephen Seagal-esque movie. I also like anything with a chicken wing. Those are fun.'

edit: Like Joon Geup Sohn Muhk Soo #1. #3 is also kind of fun.

19. ember

ember Valued Member

At the moment I'm fond of the Too Ki set, just because they seem so natural. I wouldn't say I'm completely up-to-speed on the takedowns / follow-throughs on those yet.