KSW critics?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Estero75, Oct 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Estero75

Estero75 New Member

Hey folks I am new to this forum, but already have some opinions on KSW critics. I studied kenshikan (kempo) karate for 15 yrs ranging from 11years old to about 26. Managed to grade to 1st degree then left due to traveling etc. after a long gap I joined KSW in January this year. I was under no illusions about KSW or any other martial for that matter, as I believe any discipline is what you make it (what you put in you get back). I am very surprised to come across a vast amount of critics about KSW and the poor quality of the art. Most of these critics are single discipline minded people. Any discipline that's consists of over 3000 techniques and has over a 500 year history consisting of hapkido has to be recognised correctly. I much prefer KSW to karate because of its versatility and range. Get the blinkers of Critics(you know who you are) KSW is massively effective and great for all round fitness and not just punching someone's head about in a cage.

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Feel better now?

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

so what does the number of techniques or how long the art has been around have to do with anything?

do what you love, sure. you seem to enjoy it. well...cheers!

4. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

A very detailed and in-depth analysis.

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I would argue the people punching each others' head in the cage are much fitter but that's me.

Hi by the way

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I'm not saying I wouldn't touch KSW with a barge pole, but that's mainly because KSW would send me a cease and desist notice for using the name without citing their trademark.

Let's just say that I don't trust any style that drafts in a champion amateur boxer to pretend to be a KSW fighter in the UFC in order to make the style look more effective than it actually is. That's some shady sh...tuff right there.

7. Estero75

Estero75 New Member

Hey folks. Many different opinions and replies. Thanks. I would never knock any martial art or discipline and of course forums are all about opinion (hence my wee dig at cage fighters lol. Just looks like there is a lot of critics about KSW and no real experience of the art. Anyone who has studied it, even people who have left to pursue something else know its benefits and always praise it. (Just saying) many who criticise just seem to go on hearsay or rumours. Anyway just wanted throw that out there. Good forum anyway, some interesting comments and points

8. Giovanni

hey. but he got a free dobak out of it. so that's something.

i've got a buddy that i used to train in hapkido with, who now does ksw. he loves it. but when i ask him what he's going to do in a fight, he just laughs and says 'a form'. lol. my old aikido buddies used to joke that if they got into a fight, best case scenario, they'd evade the punch by doing a magnificent back-roll out of the situation and into a sprint.

9. Estero75

Estero75 New Member

Holyheadjch. Kinda agree with you there mate. But always hate the politics side anyway. The art itself is what I am after.

10. Estero75

Estero75 New Member

Giovanni. Yeah my only reservation is the tame point sparring. But having said that I have spotted some really good sparring at KSW and top skills. Just wasted a bit at tournament level unfortunately

11. Giovanni

it's all about what you love. forget the haters.

12. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I've just got to convince Frodo of that very thing :love:

13. Estero75

Estero75 New Member

Totally Giovanni . Couldn't agree more.

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I wouldn't if I were you mate...she took out that injunction for a reason

15. Moi

I've moved since then. Is it still valid?

16. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

500 year history? Really?

17. Moi

Just smile. Say yes but care. It's a new rule :love:

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Fair point. That would be like characterizing the practice of mixed martial arts as just "punching each other's heads around a cage." And nobody here would ever knock any martial art or discipline that way.

My take: If you're willing to have people go out into the world and talk about how great your style is (which you presumably are), you have to also accept that people will openly criticize it. That's just the way information sharing works. There are plenty of valid, well-thought-out arguments one might make against KSW or any other style. Dismissing them as being the product of hearsay and rumours alone is overly simplistic and runs the risk of causing you to ignore some very valid points.

19. kuksool_keith

kuksool_keith Valued Member

the problem we have now is that Kuk Sool Won has changed so much in the last few years that its not the same as it was. even since i started (about 12 years ago) everything has changed.

to many ppl are stuck in the past trying to compare it to the now, you simply cant do this. also. too many of the so called 'splinter' schools still have there own comments about what WKSA should be doing. keep it to your own art.

if youve never treid Kuk Sool Won or have negative experiences then thats your on issue.

Kuk Sool Won is a study, not a style, so the physical and technical aspects will be different.

as for the fast sparring and non offensive aspect. sparring isnt actually part of the KSW syllabus and the art is mainly defensive.

You could argue all day and night at pro's and con's but honestly, just enjoy the art for what it is.

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Could you explain the distinction you're drawing there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.