KS family tree

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by hwarang cl, Aug 10, 2007.

1. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

To summarize so far we have:

In Joo Suh:

• In Suk Suh

• In Sun Seo
    Eung Ku Lee:

• Jung Oh Lee
    Byung In Lee:

• In Joo Suh
    Barry Harmon:

• Yi Kuen Oh

• Man Rok Oh
    Choon-Ok Harmon:

• In Sun Seo
    Sung Jin Suh:

• In Sun Seo

• In Hyuk Suh
    Seung Ku Yea:

• Eung Ku Lee?
    Kae Hong Kwon:

• Dea Sik Choi

• Jang Ho Park
    SungWoo Alex Suh:

• In Hyuk Suh
    Yong Chul Song:

• Jay Lee
    Philip Holmes:

• Mok Yang Kim
    Richard Roper:

• Mok Yang Kim
    John Ives:

• Mok Yang Kim
    Normand LaRocque:

• In Shyuk Pak
    Frank Garza:

• Paul Garza
    Jerry Sallee:

• Mok Yang Kim

• Jay Lee

• Marlin Sims
    We also have:

Jung Oh Lee:

• In Hyuk Suh
    Jay Lee:

• Young-El Park

• Long Kyu Park?

• Joong Song Park
    Paul Garza:

• Yi Kuen Oh

• Man Rok Oh
    Marlin Sims:

• In Hyuk Suh

• Joong Song Park
    Rudy Timmerman:

• In Shyuk Pak
    Dickson Kunz:

• Jay Lee

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  2. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Very good list you have there, Jayhawk. :cool:

While Alex Suh started his KSW career in Korea and IIRC had his Jr. BB before coming to the USA, he wasn't even in high school yet when he did immigrate, thus making his father, In Hyuk Suh, the person to list as his instructor (or else you could use the same info you have for his older brother). Also, shouldn't IHS be included as a second instructor for Sung Jin Suh?

If not mistaken, Long Kyu Park was located in/near Los Angeles and since you have inserted a question mark (?), I'm fairly certain that he can be removed from Marlin Sims' list of instructors (while he and Jay Lee were indeed training partners, that relationship occurred well after they had become BBs in KSW). Furthermore, I had always heard master Sims say he began KSW with GM IHS, and jokingly refers to Dr. He Young Kimm as "Darth Vader" (something to do with the *dark side* no doubt?). So maybe Dr. Kimm should be taken off as well, since there's a question mark next to his name too.

3. unknown-KJN

Hohn Soo Hyul? I thought that pimp got smacked in Houston, TX! :D :) :jester: :banana:

4. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

And the list continues (with many question marks…)

Daniel Middleton:

• Gene Gause

• Soo Taek Lim
    Ed Sanchez:

• Paul Garza

• Frank Garza
    Gary Evarts:

• Barry Harmon
    Jack Harvey:

• Paul Garza
    Ken Duncan:
    ?
    Sung Soo Suh:
    ?
    John Watson:

• Mok Yang Kim
    Donald McCondach:

• Mok Yang Kim?
    Tom Brewer:

• Barry Harmon
    Steven Isaacson:

• Mok Yang Kim

• Larry White
    Hafez Adle:

• Barry Harmon
    David Williams:

• Philip Holmes
    Steve Whiting:

• Philip Holmes
    Martin Ducker:

• Philip Holmes
    Wayne Murray:

• Jay Lee
    Bob Zefo:

• Paul Garza

• Frank Garza

5. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

i'm pretty sure dave williams was master holmes student, and i think steve isaacson was john watsons student, but air nick can clarify that.

6. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Masters Tom Brewer, Tim Sheehan, and I believe Hafez Adel are all students of Master Harmon.

7. unknown-KJN

I happen to know for a fact that Wayne Murray would not have been in KSW if it weren't for Jay Lee.

EDIT:
    Also, Ed Sanchez is located in Galesburg, IL - so my guess is that he, like Jeff Green, started under the late Bob Zefo.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  8. karma

karma Valued Member

My apologies. You are correct. And I suppose 2003 is a little longer than I thought (time seems to slip by quicker as I get older it seems), but still not that long ago. I never said that Master Park was or was not Master Jay Lees first instructor. I was asnswering a question of which Master Park did he study with as my teacher has said that Master Jay Lee studied with him out in Calif. . I have myself had several different instructors, but unless asked for each of my teachers specifically that I have studied with in my past, I always consider my current teacher ( over the last 10 years) as my instructor, regardless of whom I have previously studied under. I apologize if I erronously answered a question and did not include past instructors of the man of which I would have no idea. I am quite sure you would be much more familier with Master Jay Lee's teachers than I.

9. ember

ember Valued Member

He made one or two posts on here, several years ago. I might have linked to it in the FAQ. IIRC, he was working & raising his kids.

I think I'd heard that he still practices, informally.

10. Dragon2

Dragon2 Valued Member

The name of Master Jay lee Master was Master Young-El Park and has a Korean restaurant in Houston. Master Paul Garza Instructors were OLD Master " OH " and Young Master "OH" in Korea. I only know what the Masters were called to show the Difference in Age between the brothers.

11. Dragon2

Dragon2 Valued Member

Master Ed Sanchez studied under Master Paul and Frank Garza as did Master Bob Zefo and a few others who came out of Galesburg.

12. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

13. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

So can anyone fill in the blanks for
    Ken Duncan:
    Sung Soo Suh:

We also have left of the list
    Darius Ghaffari:
    • ?In Hyuk Suh?
    Frank D’Amato:
    • Barry Harmon?
    • Sung Jin Suh
    Jonathon Simonds:
    • Rudy Timmerman
    Larry White:
    • Yi Kuen Oh?
    • Man Rok Oh?
    • Mok Yang Kim
    Cheryl Cherowitz:

• Jay Lee
    • Marlin Sims

14. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

Steve Whiting was Philip Holmes. Larry White wasn't originally Mok Yang Kim. I think he may have been Masters Oh in Korea (Pugil may know this one).

Steve Isaacson was Mok Yang Kim and Larry White I guess, him and John Watson were more training partners (I think).

15. unknown-KJN

I, too, only knew the instructors of Paul Garza as "old master Oh" and "young master Oh" but I also happened to know that these were the same masters that Barry Harmon originally trained under and therefore was able to use information in a magazine article about master Harmon to research the names (Yi Kuen is older than Man Rok).

I don't want to get into a debate about who was Jay Lee's instructor, but you leave me little choice as you apparently never engaged him in a decent conversation, and if so, you obviously didn't listen to what he had to say. True, he didn't always say much and was guarded about what he did say in front of certain people, but he was never shy about speaking his mind. And from what I recall, he said that he was already a BB when going to Young El Park's dojang and NEVER learned anything new from him.

And I happen to know a little bit about Young El Park (from discussions among fellow instructors at dinner after KSW tournaments) but most of it is not good and so out of respect, I'll refrain from spreading unwarranted rumors. Believe it or not, the restaurant he owned did NOT serve Korean food (it was a Japanese noodle and sushi place). He also owned a wholesale fish market as well as some other businesses. Last I heard he was no longer in Houston but Salt Lake City, and this was some ten years ago or so.

It's nice to have people like yourself who are willing to share information, but you really need to learn when to defer to more knowledgeable people. :bow1:

16. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

Edit time ran out on the first list. :(

17. unknown-KJN

I recall a TKD Times issue with Frank D'Amato and Tim Sheehan on the cover, with the article being about training partners. So if you have any info on Tim Sheehan, it's a high probability the same info could be used for Frank D'Amato (or vice versa).

EDIT:
    Just post it again with any revisions, I'm sure those interested in this thread won't mind. :cool:

18. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

In Joo Suh:

• In Suk Suh

• In Sun Seo
    Eung Ku Lee:

• Jung Oh Lee
    Byung In Lee:

• In Joo Suh
    Barry Harmon:

• Yi Kuen Oh

• Man Rok Oh
    Choon-Ok Harmon:

• In Sun Seo
    Sung Jin Suh:

• In Sun Seo

• In Hyuk Suh
    Seung Ku Yea:

• Eung Ku Lee?
    Kae Hong Kwon:

• Dea Sik Choi

• Jang Ho Park
    SungWoo Alex Suh:

• In Hyuk Suh
    Yong Chul Song:

• Jay Lee
    Philip Holmes:

• Mok Yang Kim
    Richard Roper:

• Mok Yang Kim
    John Ives:

• Mok Yang Kim
    Normand LaRocque:

• In Shyuk Pak
    Frank Garza:

• Paul Garza
    Jerry Sallee:

• Mok Yang Kim

• Jay Lee

• Marlin Sims
    We also have:

Jung Oh Lee:

• In Hyuk Suh
    Jay Lee:

• Long Kyu Park

• Joong Song Park
    Paul Garza:

• Yi Kuen Oh

• Man Rok Oh
    Marlin Sims:

• In Hyuk Suh

• Joong Song Park
    Rudy Timmerman:

• In Shyuk Pak
    Dickson Kunz:

• Jay Lee

19. Dragon2

Dragon2 Valued Member

In reply to #55 unknown KJN. Like I have said before I can only spew forth what I have heard over the years not that I can prove what I have heard. I just put it out there to see what kind of EGO's of those who know more and can prove it while trying to belittle other people to make them selves feel good about themselves. I guess I mean that you are condescending in the tone of your reply. Why haven't you come forth with this information since it was asked for or are you a plant or mole to find out who is on these threads for some unknown reasons etc. Thank You for the information.

20. KSN GT

KSN GT Valued Member

progress

Ok

I now need to fill in a few more of the blanks.

Need info on most of the 5th dans.

Help

G