KS family tree

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by hwarang cl, Aug 10, 2007.

1. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

2. Dragon2

Dragon2 Valued Member

Master Jack Harvey Studied under Master Paul Garza who lives in Chicago Now

3. CriticalDog

CriticalDog Valued Member

File no longer there. :(

4. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Hey C-dog, I'm not sure which file you can't seem to find, but since I like to be helpful (and Dragon2 resurrected this rather OLD thread), here ya go:

KJN Evarts

KJN Gause

KJN Harvey

Other students of master Paul Garza that are still active in KSW/WKSA and running a dojang would include of course, his brother, KJN Frank Garza as well as KJN Ed Sanchez, SBN Ben Mitchell, and SBN Jason Tacker. There may be others, but this is just off the top of my head. ;)

5. Dragon2

Dragon2 Valued Member

I have studied with both KJN Paul and his Brother Frank in the late 1970's any others that I might be able to help identify. I do not know all but I have been around a while.

6. CriticalDog

CriticalDog Valued Member

I meant the "family tree" file that was hosted on savefile back on post 6.

7. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

I can post the original file, but KSN GT (at least at one time) was going to improve what I had started.

8. unknown-KJN

Thanks Jayhawk. Maybe we should give Graeme a nudge to light a fire under his a$$?

Well, I apologize, as I think I got it wrong about Ben Mitchell. According to an article in TKD Times earlier this year (Jan2009), he started his KSW career alongside KJN Jeff Green under the tutelage of the late (and great) Bob Zefo. Now I'm doubting myself if maybe KJN Eddie did too. :dunno:

9. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

Well so far on the chart I have there is no info for
    Seung Ku Yea
    Kae Hong Kwon
    Yong Chul Song
    Philip Holmes
    Richard Roper
    John Ives
    Jerry Sallee
    Jay Lee
    Dickson Kunz
    Ki Min Kim
    Sang Soo Kim
    Paul Garza
    Yi Won Jung
    Jong Sik Lee
    Soo Taek Lim
    Joong Song Park

This would be a good start. :) Any info would be appreciated.

10. KSN GT

KSN GT Valued Member

I've just never had the time to make a start to it. Once I looked at it I realised it was going to be a tricky job.

Although I could certainly help lay it out better, I dont have the time to research all the branches of the tree.

Sorry

G

11. Dragon2

Dragon2 Valued Member

1: Master Young Cchul Song Master was Master Jay Lee
    2: Master Phillip Holmes and Master Ropers Master was Master Mod-Yang Kim
    3: Master John Ives and Master Jerry Sallee Master was Master Mod-Yang Kim
    Their was another Master in England but I never got to meet him.
    4: Master Jay Lee was under Master Park who owns a restaurant in Houston TX?
    5: Master Dickson Kuntz Master was Master Jay Lee
    6: Master Paul Garza Master was either Old Master O or Young Master O in Korea
    7: All the rest I feel was GM In-Hyuk Su Students.
    8: We are all of GM In-Hyuk Su Students or who have been personally trained by Him.

12. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

'Mok' Yang Kim Dragon, not Mod.

Master Kim's brother, who we all knew as Master Paul Kim, still lives in the UK. As well as still having some involvement in the martial arts (I'm told), his main business is running a Hotel in Morecambe, Lancaster.

13. KSN GT

KSN GT Valued Member

Kuk Sool Won - Family tree

OK, now I feel guilty, as I said I'd do it previously!

I'm thinking that it would be easier to do a version first with only active members?

Thoughts?

14. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Please define 'Active', or do you mean those who are still alive? In either case, you can't have a 'Family Tree' which ONLY contains people who are still 'alive' surely?

A Family Tree is an historical record. If you leave out those who went before, you provide nothing of substance and/or value IMHO.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  15. KSN GT

KSN GT Valued Member

Agreed, but for the point of actually being able to put together this very vast tree, I need a core to start from.

I'm open to suggestions as to the best way to put this together!

It's going to be a very tricky tree to put together, as there are so many complicated branches at the top of the tree.

It's my aim to make it as comprehensive and complete as possible. But I need to be able to start somewhere. Anyone creating their own family tree surely starts with their immediate family?

To try and include all the off shoots right from the beginning makes my job much harder.

I also imagine this is going to turn into a nightmare once we start getting to the history of who was who's instructor. And where it all started... Lets try and not go down there.

Graeme

16. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

it would probs be easier by contry, ie a uk family tree, a us one ect.
    master holmes has a list along these lines, you never know, he might be happy for you to do something with it?

17. unknown-KJN

Well, the one thing I would suggest to help lessen the complexity would be to only list the FIRST instructor (or use a solid line connecting student to ORIGINAL master, and dotted lines connecting SUBSEQUENT masters).

Another thing to settle would be whether training under a different master AFTER attaining chodan counts as learning from a different master. If so, wouldn't the *top rung* UK masters have many dotted lines running to various individuals? As I understand it, after master Kim passed away, it wasn't GM IHS that taught them, but a host of different instructors that took on this task, from Barry Harmon and Sung Jin Suh to Marlin Sims and Jay Lee.

And just to clarify some guesswork by Dragon2 (in post #31), simply saying that Jay Lee learned from "Master Park" isn't very helpful (or that the guy owned a restaurant). FWIW, I once heard that Jae-choon Park was serving as a sushi chef after retiring from KSW, except that it happened to be in California and therefore must not be who you were talking about, huh?

It would help if you actually knew who the guy was, instead of simply guessing. Several "Parks" that I know of and were here in the USA early enough to have been Jay Lee's instructor are: Jae-choon Park, Long-kyoo Park, Joon-sung Park, Young-el Park (my spellings, as I unfortunately don't know the *correct* spelling for these gentlemen's names).

And the names of Paul Garza's teachers are Yi-kuen Oh and his younger brother Man-rok Oh, FWIW.

18. karma

karma Valued Member

I believe the Master Park that Master Jay Lee trained with was the same that my teacher trained with and passed away not too long ago.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  19. unknown-KJN

Well, according to an article in "Art of the Warrior" magazine, the year the man died was 2003 in Germany (where he went to conduct some missionary work). The article (an interview with master Sims) also reported that master Sims attended his funeral. Apparently, MASTER Joon Sung Park changed to REVEREND Park, becoming an ordained minister after retiring from MA. And although most likely being the most INFLUENTIAL instructor for either Jay Lee or Marlin Sims, he wasn't the first KSW instructor for either of them.

20. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

a bit :topic: but whatever happened to master jay lee, I can't much info on what he's been doing since he smacked that pimp in hohn soo hyul.