Krav Maga

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by STASH, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Surprisingly impressed

Hello everyone,

I've just tried Krav Maga and was surprisingly impressed. (Like any art, the instructor's more important than the style, so I was clearly lucky to have had a good instructor.)

Here's what impressed me:
    - It was very functional. I've been assaulted in the past and could see the training working.
    - It was reality-based in the best sense of the phrase, such as drilling you to run from a knife attack as soon as possible (as opposed to trading blows) .
    - The instructor, who was very senior in Krav Maga, talked about bringing in guests experts from whom to learn. I liked his openess, which is a breath fresh air compared to some clubs.
    - Drills included using your mouth (your best weapon :) ), distraction and guile, and different uses of the fence. It's the first club at which I've trained that included prominent training in these.

Yes, many people know these things. However, how much focus do most clubs put on training them regularly? None of my previous clubs spent any time on them, that's for sure.

I plan to continue to cross-train in Krav Maga and can certainly recommend the club in Brighton & Hove:
    www.krav-maga.org.uk/index.php?mod=brighton

Cheers :)

2. colin75

colin75 New Member

hi there i am a commando krav maga instructor in london and i can tell you all that to become a instructor you have to have experience in either military or martial arts a clean criminal background, you must pass a telephone interview with our cheif instructor and founder Moni aizik and then you go on to pass possibley the most gruelling course there is to find out more here is moni's website www.Commandokravmaga.com
    hope this has helped a little

3. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Commando Krav Maga seminar in London

Hi Colin,

Do you know what's happening about the Commando Krav Maga seminar in London this year?

I had booked and paid for a place, but now see that the seminar's no longer listed on the CKM web site:
    www.combatsurvival.com/html/seminars_training.html

Would you know if this means it's sold out or cancelled?

Cheers

4. colin75

colin75 New Member

Hi there Sandy
    I must admit that im not to sure but if you contact stewart Mcgill, his website is www.kravmaga-eastlondon.com he should know all about it.
    Sorry i cant be of more help, hope you get a chance to try out ckm soon
    all the best
    Colin o Connor

5. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Hi colin75,

Cheers for the web site. I followed a link from there to here (www.commandokravmaga.co.uk), where I found contact details for CKM in the UK. I'll get in touch.

I'm not long back from some krav maga training in Israel (www.kravmaga.co.il) - which I highly recommend - and hope to get the chance to try CKM too.

All the best

6. Gerry290

Gerry290 New Member

Tactical Krav Maga

You can also look at Tactical Krav Maga...

Main site is www.tacticalkravmaga.com.au

It is a very simple sytem of Krav Maga...used to train the Yamam (Israeli Counter Terroist Team) and developed by Itay Gil who was in Yamam and also trained them after see www.protect-usa.com for information on Itay Gil.

The training alot of the drills are full contact, and we use protective gear to get as real as possible to a street situation.

I did a few styles of KM and I find Tactical Krav Maga suits me the best.

I am going to be teaching Tactical Krav Maga Self Defence Thailand soon, see my site www.kravmagathailand.com

I guess Tactical Krav Maga is another "style" of Krav Maga!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  7. kravpest

kravpest New Member

Thanks Reel Deel, this and your previous post spared me a lot of typing.

However, it's the spoon that is held down. The technique is similar to one of Krav's more common knife take-aways. Lots of Krav's techniques are nicely integrated like that. In Isreal, unlike the States, military, police, and security personel are trained to move toward a threat and give their lives to save bystanders. If you must stop a threat holding a grenade, you are still likely to lose. This technique is the best Israel has come up with to give you some kind of chance to survive that threat, and of course if possible you should approach from behind. It tries to make the best of a very very bad situation, that in Israel is more likely to come up than where I, or most of the posters on this thread live.

8. kravpest

kravpest New Member

As long as We're all throwing in our groups' urls, Here's the address for the only U.S. Krav group still in touch with and endorsed by the top instructors in Isreal.

HERE

Nice short lineage.
    -Imi Lichtenfeld, the founder of Krav Maga.
    -Haim Zut, the current Grand Master in Israel acknowledged by the Wingate Institute.
    -Rhon Mizrachi, the highest ranking practitioner of Krav Maga residing in the United States who is not self-ranked.

9. Unsung Hero

Unsung Hero That Isshin Ryu guy

This is probably a bit off topic, but I saw it was a krav maga thread and I would really appreciate the help.

I have a friend who's really interested in getting into martial arts, something practical but effective, so I thought Krav Maga would be the way to go. I looked around online, but the closest school I can find to my location is Livonia, michigan. Does anyone know of a school that would be in maybe Ann Arbor, MI? Or at least somewhere near there?

10. kravsystems

kravsystems New Member

We run Krav Maga classes all over the Midlands ion the UK. Please see my website for more details www.krav.co.uk

11. progdan

progdan Valued Member

In Australia, I believe we follow the IKMF, Eyal Yanilov was Imi Lichtenfield's student and closest advisor and became the Director of IKMF with Imi's blessing when Imi passed away. My instructor is the Director under Eyal for Australia/New Zealand, and was graded by Eyal and his team in Israel. He runs www.sdtactics.com.au which is where I began training at the start of this year.

Because it is a system to teach Israeli soldiers to survive basically (remember that military service is compulsory, so most of them are coming from civilian background), it is extremely efficient, and non-flashy, yet able to be taught and utilized in a very short space of time. I've been learning for 3 months now, and I'd by no means call myself an expert, but even in that short time, training a few nights a week, I've learned concepts and techniques, which are highly logical and efficient and useful for defense against the sorts of assaults one might experience in a basic street altercation. Although it comes across as quite aggressive, that is mainly the military stream, in the civilian stream, they basically teach you, if you can, run. If you can't, do what you need to do to extricate yourself from the situation and then run. You have to make the call as far as how much force is necessary to be able to do that. This is basically at the very lowest level of experience, obviously every situation is different, and they try to teach you how to deal with as many as they can as you improve.

Additional note: I have heard, but don't quote me on it, that Matt Damon in the three 'Jason Bourne' movies is using Krav Maga techniques in his fighting? I haven't watched them since I've been training, so I'll have to again sometime to see...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009