Krabi Krabong & FMA

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Stxsas, Nov 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stxsas

Stxsas Keep on Flowing..

Has anyone compared Kali/FMA with Krabi-Krabong, the traditional Thai martial art?

Are they similar or totally different?

What are your views?

I have not seen much of Krabi-Krabong, all though i train in Kali, and from what i have seen from Krabi-Krabong, i feel that they may have some similarities!

Can you give your thoughts?

Kind Regards,

Link - http://www.muaythaionline.net/disciplines/krabikrabong.html

2. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

Nice link :D

From the little I've seen on Krabi Krabong, it rocks. I've found the footwork & striking patterns have given my game that extra bit of power & I'm still playing with the Kicks

you might like this clip Krabi Krabong

3. LastFMArnisador

LastFMArnisador New Member

Little Comparison...

From what i've seen from elhigg's link to the DB vidclip, i found that there is little
    or no comparison... exept from the use of kicks in combat.

there might be filippino styles out there that uses kicks in their esrkima style (Sikaran by Meliton Geronimo is an example, but that is purely a style that relies heavily on kicks in fighting, according to Wiley's bookFilipino Martial Culture ... somewhat like a filipino tae-kwon-do hybrid). Ususally kicks are not much used in FMA, since kicking exposes your legs, and thus suspect to get chopped off... getting in close and kicking hard is the best way to use kicks in FMA, unto my humble opinion. :)

learning Krabi Krabong and FMA is like finding a part of a missing link. Philippines has seen empires rise and crumble with the ages (it may have been a part of one of the great southeast asian empires or not) , and with so many culture contacts made through trade, there is a scant possibility that Krabi Krabong had some influence in the early FMA's at the time and vice versa.. more field research is needed in this field in order to make a definitive distinction.

This is some of the things i have in my mind...

Nice to see that... :D Wonder if there are some concepts in Krabi Krabong that can be used in FMA ? it would be cool to see a hybrid FMA\TMA style...
    but since FMA is adaptable to any style... i believe this is something serious FMA'ers should take up to consideration. :cool:

I think that Muay Thai and Silat, blade based FMA and Krabi Krabong might go hand in hand and as a bonus, turn one into a fighting\warlike demigod... :D
    You would become unstoppable, if you ask me ;)

4. Scotty Dog

The Vid clip's a promo for a dogbrothers tape, quite a few of them have been mixing Krabi & FMA for years with good result. From the little I've seen there are similarities with FMA (there's only so many angles a stick sword can come on), what I like about it is the mentality of the drills, Direct & power crazed, and the sophistication in the way they disguise the incoming kicks.

At this time, I've only really trained some very basic drills, but I like what I see :D

5. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I would agree. I've started doing some Krabi Krabong drills with the longer sticks. I'm hooked. They're a whole lot of fun.

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

i can't seem to compare the two. very different from each other. the attitude, flow, and movement are all different.

7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

They are certainly more different than they are similar - which is why KK skills can do wonders for an FMA guy. Gives a whole new perspective to whacking people with big sticks :D

KK RAWKS! :D

8. shootodog

whatever works!

9. Stxsas

Stxsas Keep on Flowing..

Thanks for the replys, i think that i will find out some info on KK and see what works and what does'nt.
    Cheers again !

10. Viking

Viking Valued Member

Krabi Krabong versus Kali

Is there any similarities between kali and krabikrabong.which is more effective?

11. Scotty Dog

Threads merged :D

12. RYO9

RYO9 New Member

well from what i've researched they are related. i believe it happened when the fillipinos were at war with china. But yes they are similar and are very very good to intertwine.

Mullins

13. shootodog

huh? the philippines was at war with china? when did this happen?

14. deCadena

deCadena New Member

i think it was more of a skirmish rather than an outright war. chinese bandits were common during the spanish era. Am not sure about an official war but as far as i can remember there was one.

Cheers!

15. shootodog

with chinese pirates. sure. not with china. so what does that have to do with krabbi krebong?

kali/ arnis/ escrima = philippines
    krabbi krebong = thailand

they are not similar. not at all. they are as similar as deer and kangaroos.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2005
  16. shinbushi

shinbushi Reaver

17. deCadena

deCadena New Member

I don't see the similarity either. very nice demos though....

18. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

It's a great art that uses weapons, but that's where the similarity ends. The movement of the fighters is very different from an FMAer. I think both arts have something to offer in different ways which at the end of the day can only be a good thing.

Best regards

Pat

19. georgestando

georgestando Valued Member

I think you have to look for the combative krabi krabong vs the more ceremonial version which most of the foreigners know. I was introduced to the different systems of kk while in thailand training by an american who happened also to be very well versed in FMA and had lived and trained in thailand for quite some time> First thing is he used live steel in the kk, he showed how to cut into different targets, how to deal with blood, getting in stuck in bone, it was intense. The old master of kk who was his teacher was there as well and explained the use of the true material. It was a total different perspective from most of what is taught in seminars here in the US and England. I cant wait to go back and absorb more. The person who trained me has been training in SE asia for a long time and is coming out with a book shortly. Well worth looking into if you can get the real training which thus far is hard to come by. The clips were mostly ceremonial and not the actual fighting material.

20. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Georgestando, please post some information on this book when it comes out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.