Koryu Bujutsu Dojo Directory

Discussion in 'Koryu Bujutsu' started by Kogusoku, Dec 18, 2007.

1. max Chouinard

max Chouinard Valued Member

Indeed, but they do have some similarities, am I right, or is it really different?

P.S. Still want to know his name? ;)

2. zealuk

zealuk New Member

You will get different answers depending on who you ask. There are similarities, but the basic technique is very different, despite the kamae looking similar.

Well I did wonder, but I thought it would be a bit rude to ask :)

Did he study Yakumaru Jigen Ryu or Jigen Ryu Hyoho?

3. max Chouinard

max Chouinard Valued Member

I did not had the occasion to ask him but I believe it is hyoho, he went there a few weeks ago and went back directly to Afghanistan (he's in the army yes). I do have a nice picture of him practicing on their pell (do you know what's the name for it, I always wondered) in some very irregular training clothes :D. Anyway it was a very brief overview.

4. zealuk

zealuk New Member

The pell is called a tategi ( 立木 ) - literally standing wood. The horizontal pell used by Yakumaru Ryu is called a yokogi ( 横木 ) - horizontal wood.

5. Ellis Amdur

Ellis Amdur Valued Member

Toda-ha Buko-ryu in Portland, Oregon

Contents of post deleted by request of the author.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2012
  6. Ellis Amdur

Ellis Amdur Valued Member

Araki-ryu torite-kogusoku in Portland, OR

I'd like to announce that another long-term student of mine is opening practice in Araki-ryu Torite-Kogusoku in Portland, Oregon. Contact Name and e-mail withdrawn on request. will fill you in on requirements for training, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2010
  7. Ferran

Ferran Valued Member

8. Graham

Graham Valued Member

Takeuchi-ryu Bitchuden, Yorkshire, UK

竹内流 備中伝 松風館 道場
    Takeuchi-ryu Bitchuden, Shoufukan dojo

Mirfield, Yorkshire, England

9. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

Hi Graham,
    Please pass Anna my warmest regards can you?
    And in the muddy field photo who are you?I saw those on Facebook...Looked like a decent demo!
    All the best..
    Ben Sharples

10. bzarnett

bzarnett Valued Member

Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin ryu in Toronto

Kitakan Dojo
    Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin ryu Study Group
    Toronto, Ontario Canada

www.koryucanada.com

11. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

It would probably be better if you posted the names of the ryuha that Shinbukan teaches rather than just posting a dojo/org name and a weblink.

That is what everyone else on this thread has done, anyway...

12. iB1337

iB1337 Valued Member

13. Yoshinkan Dojo

Yoshinkan Dojo New Member

14. ScottUK

So should this be listed on a koryu dojo directory?

15. Yoshinkan Dojo

Yoshinkan Dojo New Member

Hi Scott,
    I think that there is a big difference between forming a new technical style and a forming independent branch from the main line of an existing tradition by a menkyo kaiden holder who is continuing the original teachings of his teachers.

Below is part of the reply that I wrote as an answer to Kogusoku's post, I was trying to quote it but that feature was not working for me. The link to the post is here http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90907&page=3

"Motoha Yoshin Ryu is a branch of the Hontai Yoshin Ryu-Takagi Ryu lineage following the teachings of Minaki Soke (Hontai Yoshin Ryu) and Kanazawa Ichizu sensei (Takagi Ryu), and as with any menkyo kaiden (=full transmission and permission to become independent) holder who branches off a koryu main line it is still a koryu art even though the Nihon Kobudo Kyokai only recognises the main line of any koryu.

The name Motoha Yoshin Ryu refers to following the original style of teachings of Hontai Yoshin Ryu-Takagi ryu lineage with the Moto (origin) & ha (style) kanji and it also has reference to Yasumoto sensei's name.

As an example Hontai Yoshin Ryu-Takagi Ryu was the original name for the Ryu but after Minaki soke organised the techniques into the modern Kata that are practiced now by Hontai Yoshin Ryu he renamed the ryu Fumon Yoshin Ryu in order to distinguish it from the original style. Minaki soke later renamed the art as Hontai Yoshin Ryu and it is still considered as a koryu. Minaki soke was also a founder member of the Nihon Kobudo Kyokai.

The lineage does not break just because a Menkyo Kaiden holder uses their permission to become independent.

The lineage on this web page was provided by Soke Yasumoto http://www.motohayoshinryu.co.uk/history5.htm "

Motoha Yoshin Ryu is a Menkyo Kaiden continuation of the Hontai Yoshin Ryu-Takagi Ryu lineage.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Regards, Andy

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  16. ScottUK

Chees for the info. Interesting stuff until I got to the Fumon Tanaka bit.

Anyway, back to this being a dojo listing. Might carry the discussion on in the other thread.

17. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Seirenkan Sōsuishi-ryū U.K. Keikokai

東京傳双水執流組討腰之廻
    Tōkyō-den Sōsuishi-ryū Kumiuchi Koshi No Mawari

London, England.

(This is a temporary site for the moment.)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  18. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

19. ScottUK

Remember the old 'samurai bujutsu' forum? They had all koryu listed as separate sections - could we do that with individual threads?

20. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I've got not issue with that :)