Korean Martial Arts SUPER SEMINAR...2010

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Ki_Power, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Saja

Saja Valued Member

LOL... I knew that UKJN. I commented on your statement, because I also have problems with the very same thing you touched on.

To me, rank goes along with actual training, and the need to stay a step or two ahead of the students you serve. When you no longer train, there is no NEED to go up in rank.

In NKMAA, there is no such thing as "exchanging" certificates. I have a sack full of these things, and I keep them to get a feel for whose certificates I can't accept as proof of skill lol.
    Rudy

2. Saja

Saja Valued Member

Hello Herbo:
    Thanks for the question. NKMAA does not interfere with the internal working of its schools; however, we DO expect schools to maintain high standards in terms of the way they deal with their students training AND business dealings.

As such, a member school can opt in or out of testing at HQ, and if they opt to test here I only have one way of doing so. In other words, I do NOT tailor the test to your students. I fully expect the school owner to prepare his or her students for the test, and I use what I actually get to SEE as a tool to work with the school owner as well. In other words, when I see a problem, I will address this problem with the school owner even if he is not the one who is testing (but his students are).

So,when people show up at my place to test, I ask them to perform all aspects of their respective martial art. Before they ever get to show me those aspects, I try my best to test their "heart". IMHO, without a strong desire to pass a hard test, there can't be a reward.

The format of the test is somewhat along these lines.
    1 One full hour of Mohm Puhl Ki
    2 One full hour of kicking
    3 However long it takes to complete forms in at least two directions
    (KSB students do all their forms in 4 directions), and this may take
    several hours for most practitioners
    4 Same for weapons
    5 Same for techniques
    6 At the end of it all, students must still have enough in them to do their
    breaking. Some might consider the breaking kinda heavy, with
    consecutive 4 board breaks, acrobatic breaks, and cement block breaks.

On top of this, KSB practitioners MUST complete the Challenge Course, and they must at least do one of those in Winter conditions (which is interesting when it comes to the swim part).

I do NOT do this to be a hard ass, I just believe that I can't ask for anything less than my Instructor asked of his students. I stick to his "ways" as much as I can (I admit I no longer demand glass breaking), and most often I wish I had studied under someone else (it might have been easier on my members, and I might have more members too lol)

The average test (under Master level) begins at 5 pm sharp, and it usually does not get done until 1 am. I ask the same from our ladies and children, although the children follow a Junior curriculum. Master level tests take more time, and they are usually spread over several days. I have had a LOT of people run out to puke, but I never had a serious incident. I keep a good eye on those who test, and I will ask them to sit out if IMHO, they may have health issues. There is always next time.

I DO make exceptions for folks who have health issues, and I deal with that by issuing a "recreational" rank. I strongly support older folks and those with limitations to train, and they DO get a certificate that looks identical to the others other than the "designation" on the registration.

Instead of creating the "elitish" mood within the KSB student body, I try to mold its students the other way around... compassion and helping hand attitude. Those who stick their noses in the air don't last long with me, as the top rung of our rank ladder is synonymous with humility.

The problems I encounter are that more and more school owners (who don't know me well) submit applications for black belt rank for students who do not have enough material.

In fact, several first dahns, one second dahn, two third dahns, a fourth dahn, and an 8th dahn all failed at the gathering because of "light" material and stamina issues. It truly breaks my heart to fail students (all of the higher ranks are friends AND students), BUT I can not do anything less for them.

FWIW, I kicked my own wife out of my school for not doing her push ups when she arrived late for her first class. She KNEW the routine, and she should have known relationships make no difference to me in martial arts.
    BTW, it cost me dearly, as I used to have a real nice 5 br house with an Olympic size in ground pool on a beautiful lake that was paid for lol. Now I have a small 2 br house with a mortgage, and the closest thing to a lake is a pond I dug by hand over the summer :) The price of integrity (some call it stupidity) is dear :)

I'll never be rich money wise, but I am rich with the good friends I have made over the many years I practiced :)
    Rudy

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  3. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

My tests are not easy; I was brought up in a hard school with a master that expected alot. We ran 2-3 miles bare foot and then preceded to do all our forms in 4 directions, so I'm not a stranger to watching people run outside and throw up. I have taken that tradition with me when I started my own school and I expect this out of my students as well, even my children. However...the master has to realize that not everyone is capable of such feats and with that being the case, do I flunk the 45 year old over-weight lady that has more heart than anyone else in that school just because she can't throw 1000 spin kicks? Is that at all fair? Or do I make her try her best and then use the virtue of "kindness" and take what she did into account? I will pass her because she tried to keep up with everyone else and did her best.

I have flunked people before because they had no effort. They didn't care, they figured they'd show up and pass. Not gonna happen. But those that try...and try...and try....I can't fail them. They don't quit. And I see no reason to fail them for that effort: "Never retreat in the face of the enemy", and during testing, your biggest enemy is yourself. I give enough breaks during my test so I can see the TECHNIQUE, because thats what the test is about: seeing if they can preform the material good enough to earn their next rank. If their so exhausted they can't hold their weapons at the Moo Ki part of testing...what was accomplished? Now I cant' see if they KNOW that form!

Like I said, I'm no stranger to hard tests and enjoy running a long hard test where we do Mompulki, Johk Sool, Soo Ki, Hyung, Nak Bup, Sool, Moo Ki, Keun Dae Ryun (Controlled Free Fighting with Grappling and the works), and Kyuk Pah. And if they keep trying and make it to the end, drained and exhausted, I'll pass them. As long as they dont' quit. And the number one thing I always think of is this: "If I can't do it, how can I expect it of my students to do it?". Maybe I'm seeing it wrong, but I hate schools that give out belts or "sell" belts. But I'm not happy when the standards are so high that if you don't make it through at 100%, you fail. I think there has to be a fine line (with that line, of course, bordering on the "Sir, I think I'm gonna *PROJECTILE VOMIT*" LMAO)

Anyway, just my two cents on that.

4. Saja

Saja Valued Member

Hello Heyongsa:
    Perhaps you missed this line in my answer to Herbo.

<<I DO make exceptions for folks who have health issues, and I deal with that by issuing a "recreational" rank. I strongly support older folks and those with limitations to train, and they DO get a certificate that looks identical to the others other than the "designation" on the registration.>>

Like you, I also encourage people of ALL abilities to practice, and I myself am perhaps a good example of that. I can no longer perform according to my own standards; however, I refuse to lower the standards for those who can. So it comes to the decision WHO can do more, and WHO did his or her best. In that, I have perhaps failed as well, as I am one who strongly believes that most folks operate below their capacity. I can close my eyes to the folks who just don't care to try harder, or I can do my best to weed out the wannabees who would like to move up in rank without doing their level best.
    Rudy

5. ANG LANCASTER

ANG LANCASTER Valued Member

The test I had at the gathering of grandmasters I for one will never forget. I Loved every minute of it sir thank you!

6. Saja

Saja Valued Member

Oddly enough, MOST people who do our test feel the same way... even some of those who have failed.

7. KIWEST

KIWEST Revalued Mapper

Me too. if you are anything like me Ang, you wouldnt want to test anywhere else from now on

8. Saja

Saja Valued Member

Greetings everyone.
    For those who asked, the shopping cart button on the NKMAA web site is now fully functional, and you can order the 2010 Gathering DVDs directly from our site.

There are 7 DVDs in total, and they can be purchased individually, the Grand Master set (discs 1-2-3-7) the Masters set (discs 4-5-6-7), or the Journey to Black Belt DVD (disc 7). The Journey disc can be made to order for the individual test candidate, and I can work in any pictures you have collected over the years. By doing so, it will give a clearer view of the journey you made. From past experience, this last DVD is really appreciated by family members, and Grand Ma or Pa would love to see your efforts. Makes an awesome Christmas gift that is MUCH more meaningful than most gifts.

The other DVDs are footage of the various Grand Masters who presented their art through workshops held over the weekend of August 13-15th, 2010. Each disc has more than an hour of solid training, and one would have to travel many miles and pay mega bucks to learn from these high ranking Grand Masters and Masters. Just imagine... more than six hours of awesome self-defense material from 10th dahns, 9th dahns, 8th dahns, 7th dahns, 6th dahns, and 5th dahns from around the globe at your fingertips. This DVD set will no doubt become a highly valued collectors item, as this is the ONLY footage available of this epic event.

For those interested in the Journey DVDs. To create this DVD takes a LOT of time, as I have to sort through many hours of footage to find clips that are uniquely yours. If you want them for a Christmas present, you need to order NOW! If you have pictures to include in the slide show, send good copies via e-mail to kwanjang@sympatico.ca

Proceeds to the local Christmas Cheer fund.
    Rudy

9. Saja

Saja Valued Member

Sorry, for some reason this posted twice. No idea how to get rid of the extra post.

10. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

FWIW, there used to be a "DELETE POST" option when editing your posts, but I noticed that after the "Thanks" button was added, this feature mysteriously disappeared. Sometimes all it takes is a slight hiccup during the transmission of the data, which will result in a *duplicate* post. All you can do is either leave it be (which I feel is confusing) or write "Duplicate Post Deleted" (or words to that effect).

Hopefully this is a satisfactory answer. ;)

On a completely different topic... how do I go about getting a copy of those DVDs you mentioned in post #248? (that is, with whatever discount you promised me)

11. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

How about you simply click EDIT, and then DELETE the post when you are on the editing page?

12. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

Saja,

looking at the order page (http://www.nkmaa.ca/nkmaa/dvdsorderpage.html) it looks like all the sets include DVD#7 the Journey to Black Belt DVD. Can you give an additional info on what exactly this is? Is this only for those who tested? I noticed there was no package with only DVDs 1-6.
    Thanks.

13. Saja

Saja Valued Member

Greetings all:
    Thanks for the clarification on the double post lol. It really shows that I am a complete dud when it comes to computer skills.

IMA... the journey disc is a disc that shows the NKMAA test that was held during the week of the Gathering. There is no restriction on the Journey disc. It might be interesting for many, but I am sure not everyone would care to see that particular disc. So, it looks as though I made an error in the offer that should include the 1-6 option. I'll fix that as soon as I can; however, to avoid delays, anyone wishing the 1-6 disc package just contact me direct at kwanjang@sympatico.ca

UKN and Pugil, I will contact you by e-mail.
    Rudy

14. Saja

Saja Valued Member

I need the postal addresses of GM Sims, Pugil, and UKN KJN. Please send to kwanjang@sympatico.ca Thanks!