Korean Martial Arts SUPER SEMINAR...2010

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Ki_Power, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Dickson

Dickson Banned Banned

It was a real pleasure and a true honor to be able to help celebrate such a huge milestone in your martial art career. :bow1:

Like Jerry (Lee) Sallee, one of my reasons for coming was selfish, as I thought wasting such an opportunity to visit with "old friends" would be foolish. I also relished the thought of meeting such legendary people in the Kuk Sool realm, such as Ollie Batts. It's a name anyone should easily recognize if practicing this art as long as I have... my only regret was that I never had the chance to meet him face to face until now.

And speaking of meeting people, it was a real treat to make new acquaintances such as Mike Dunchok and Kevin Janisse (BTW, congratulations to you and your wife - not only the new promotions but the new "responsibilities" as well), although I was way too busy trying to get all the etching done personalizing those swords (whew!). When wrapping things up at GM Timmerman's house on Sunday, a few folks such as master MacKenzie from New Jersey confided that they were leery of disturbing me while doing all that etching work, and I therefore missed out on the opportunity to have a decent conversation with them. In fact that was the only problem with having SO many notable figures present... there just wasn't enough time to sit down and visit with everyone. Well, maybe next time. ;)

2. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

And in case anyone ever raises the question, THIS is what we need to be about, need to be doing, need to be supporting in the KMA. This is what a MA leader does and I would not be surprised to learn that the NKMAA has moved-up a few notches in people's esteem for making this happen. IMHO

Best Wishes,

Bruce

3. Saja

Saja Valued Member

Thank you Sir. I had hoped you would feel well enough to be here, but I KNOW you were here in spirit my friend. Thank you.
    Rudy

4. Saja

Saja Valued Member

That was exactly the same problem I had. I missed having the time to sit down for a few hours with friends like Ollie, Jerry Lee, and yourself. Sure we had a few minutes here and there, but that just did not seem enough. Guess I am selfish as well, and I could not help but want more lol; however, I do believe we accomplished one thing... we are more motivated to keep in touch with old and new friends. In addition, we PROVED that there is no need for any of us to back bite or be suspicious of one another. At this meeting, I saw nothing but genuine brotherhood wherever I looked. Totally awesome :)

5. Dragon2

Dragon2 Valued Member

I'am back. I had a great trip to Canada. I stopped off to vist an old Korean Master of mine from 1972 in England. Master Cho, Chom Son. He was not in so I explained to his student Steve 2nd Dan who I was. I then travel to Canada (can you believed that I rode my little HD 883 C Sportster there and back) I am not even sore.

I had a good time meeting and talking to old friends and new ones. I did not attend any seminars, demonstrations and I did not Teach. It looked like a good gathering of GM's and Master's. Everyone was getting along (observation when I was there a few times)

As I said in the beginning I was only going to visit and eat dinner at GM dinner party. I did not even stay for the dance.

I have lived up to my word and did as I said and Thanks for all my Good Friends there it was a blast. Saja, Thanks for the story of POO, Sims, Dickson and Ollie and Morgan for the small defense stick.D2

6. Saja

Saja Valued Member

Lots of great stories were told this past weekend, and it was all good. Nice to have a function where there was no time (or inclination) for back biting and strife :)

7. Saja

Saja Valued Member

I have received a ton of pictures, and a lot of film footage is on the way as well. When I get it all sorted out, I will post more about the Gathering and include some candid shots. A DVD set will be made available as well for those who could not make it in person.

I am now in the process of taking care of the bills; and, as soon as that is done, we will know what we can contribute to the charity I chose. Suffice it to say that this contribution could not have been dreamed of with the generosity of all of the presenters.

I wish to thank Masters Kunz, Ollie, and Dunchok, who all regularly visit MAP, for their part in this effort. Not only were your presentations much appreciated by all, I am sure some unfortunate child will also when all is done.

I had set aside space for folks to discuss whatever Kuk Sool questions they had on their minds, but no one seemed to have time. I am glad that the space was not wasted, as KJN Kunz used it to get away from the masses while he carved his way into the hearts of the students who were fortunate enough to obtain one of his swords.

I received a pair of them as a birthday present, and they are among my most treasured possessions KJN Kunz. I enjoyed visiting with your family as well.

KJN Ollie's presentation was an awesome reminder of how well the various arts can work together. No one even realized that some of the things he shared might not have been textbook Korean martial art techniques. No one cared!!! All we were interested in is learning new and exciting things, and Ollie KJN most certainly gave us a LOT to add to our respective bags of tricks. Thank you Sir. Now if I could only figure out what to do with that mini stick lol.

I wish to elaborate a bit more about our Sunday sessions, where Master Dunchok and his group shared Kuk Sool Kwan with us. I must say that we would be hard pressed to find a more talented group of martial artists, and the young lady who shared her forms is still talked about. Nice to see that the total absence of egos and fear allowed for such interaction.
    Who said it could not be done :)
    Rudy

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  8. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

As best I know, she's featured predominantly on the KSK homepage (www.kuksoolkwan.com).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  9. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

do they all back flip in baek pahl gi? that would be interesting.

10. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Whilst I am still trying to catch up with stuff since getting back to the UK — including sorting through nearly 6,000 emails (mostly SPAM, but you still have to cast an eye over just in case), I would just like to say a big thank you to Rudy for the initial invitation to attend his truly wonderful event, and for his warm welcome on arrival. It was an honour and a privilege to attend, and to be allowed to share some of the fun stuff we do on the ground. If anyone has any pictures of Morgan and I teaching that session, please do email them to me: ollie@cama.org.uk

On the subject of photo's, I have managed to put around 130 up on my Facebook page, which are now viewable by all of my Friends on Facebook.

I should also say that it was great to meet up with old friends again, as well as meet other 'friends' from the MAP who I had not met in person before. Just to say that my expectations were in no way diminished by meeting them (which is sometimes the case in life).

Ollie Batts

11. Dragonkarma

Dragonkarma Valued Member

conflict of interest

It's just business, that's why WKSA school owners don't attend events with former ksw members. Those who have left are now business competitors.
    Why should KSW school owners lend support or validity to competitors ? You guys must really miss us !

The fact that some folks can't follow organizational rules is exactly why they will have a hard time growing their own association.

It's funny that most who left the org are now scrambling to join or make new ones. Most have one or two schools in their organizations-whoopee ! What an empire !

My favorite are the ones who promoted themselves 5 more degrees higher than their actual rank-must have had a Budhaa-like awakening.

Legends in your own minds.

12. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

FO DK!

13. Demdike

Demdike Banned Banned

they do you know... they just don't tell you about it

Why don't you actually say who you mean? As I said in another thread, FUD

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  14. Saja

Saja Valued Member

The ONLY things that were missing at this gathering were the politics and hunger for money, and let me be the first to tell you that I did not miss that at all. No one bowed or scraped to anyone. It was not required, as respect was genuine and felt in abundance... without the uneasy feeling one gets in a cult-like environment.

As far as empires is concerned. I helped build the empire you speak of by putting no less than 16 schools into an organization by working my butt off for no remuneration or thanks.

I don't have a large organization to be sure; however, it is nice to know that the folks who belong to it are not held hostage or threatened. The door is open, and folks who leave are wished well in whatever new direction they choose. What a novel idea... they can actually choose without being chastised :)

As far as living legend thoughts. My White Belt is, and will always be, the first thing I pack. I have no illusions of grandeur, nor do I have aspirations in that direction. I LOVE being a student, and being a Grand Master is nothing but a pain in the butt I'd rather not have to deal with. Alas, I was left that job by my Instructor, and I will carry it out to the best of my ability.

FWIW.
    So far, there had been no nasty or snide remarks made in this thread until now. It does not surprise me that this was too good to be true. However, it is also abundantly clear where it came from. Sad indeed.
    Rudy

15. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

I'm sorry D K but I see things very differently.

What I have witnessed over the last 20 years or so is the repeated misrepresentation, and sometimes blatant lies that have been told by leaders.

Oh, certainly their is high-toned talk of "brotherhood" and "unity" but these things are always on the basis of what any given leader outlines. There is no tolerance, give-and-take, sharing, or collaboration. And as I have just witnessed, when someone DOES step out of the box and do what leaders ought to have been doing all along, that person is derided.

From your post I get the idea that rank, whether bestowed or assumed, is very important to you. Again, you couldn't be more mistaken. Korean history has demonstrated that martial traditions were only worth something when they produced a fighting force that submitted to a belief greater than themselves. From what I have seen quoted about SUH In Hyuk and Gawd, apparently the man holds that there IS nothing greater than he.

What I am noting in this thread is the growing clarity of distinction between folks for whom what others think is more important and those who believe what they do in the name of a greater good is more important. My personal preference is to hang with the latter rather than the former. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

16. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

congrats master timmerman. do will there be a GotM 2011? this event seemed like one that needs repeats

17. Saja

Saja Valued Member

Hello Cho...
    Yes, we are in fact planning a Gathering in Australia next year, and I will post things as they progress. It will be in October 2011. Thanks for the kind words Sir :)

18. Saja

Saja Valued Member

Greetings all:
    Well, I had planned to make a DVD set of the GOG available, and I have been diligently downloading all the footage and pics (I now have over 900 pictures and about 11 hours of video footage of teaching segments alone). My first guess was to have a set of three DVDs. Two to cover the teaching portions and the festivities, and one covering some of the testing. From what I now see, my guess was totally inadequate. I will no doubt have to increase the number of DVDs covering the teaching portions, so I will publish the details such as cost etc. when I have a closer handle on the finished product.
    Rudy

19. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

That's a lot of footage! You may need to switch to blu-rays lol

20. Saja

Saja Valued Member

Thanks for the tip Herbo. Not sure if I can manage that with my computer skills lol.