Korean/Hangul for 'real combat'

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Smitfire, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

There's a word used in some karate circles, 'jissen', that is taken to define a style or method of karate for 'real combat'. So not a sporting or 'do' style of karate. Karate geared towards being applicable in real violent and self defence encounters.
    Anyone know what the Korean characters or words would be that express a similar idea but for taekwondo?

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I know 'Hosinsul' relates to self-defence techniques/training.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah. I've seen that "Ho Sin" , means to "defend yourself", and "Sul" means "techniques of".
    What I'm after is a more overarching term. Iain Abernethy calls what he does "Abernethy Jissen Karate". In other words "Iain Abernethy's interpretation of karate for real combat".

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Nearest I can work out is something like...

Hyeonsil = reality
    jinsil = truth

combined with something like...

jeontu = battle, combat fighting
    ssaum = fight, fighting, quarrel

Jinsil ssaum? Jinsil jeontu? Hyeonsil ssaum? o_O

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  5. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Normally, this idea would be encapsulated in the identity of the "Kwan"... i.e., the founder's interpretation/underlying principles and goals for the way they practice this art.

From a Korean Kwan type, it would probably be best to choose two representative Sino-Korean characters that reflect the philosophy and then use the single character pronunciation for each (Sino-Korean ) and tie that to Kwan.

My Korean isn't the best, but this sounds very odd... these would be the Korean words for the concept, where in a name (of a Kwan), the Sino-Korean terms would be used.

Sadly, I have no good advice or suggestions for you. At the same time, and not trying to be cheeky, but in the interest of being 'applicable and practical', wouldn't English terms serve you better here?

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

For sure...but it wouldn't sound all cool and foreign and esoteric and exotic would it! :)

For usage you could have something like TKD for sport (seupocheu?), TKD for self development (jagi gyebal?), TKD for enjoyment (hyang-yu?) but also TKD for real combat (jinjja jeontu?).
    The base style or kwan would/could remain the same (Chang-hon TKD in my case) but the additional word/s would clarify the focus (but more cool sounding than "real fighting"!)

Thomas likes this.
  7. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Fair enough

Hmmmm... those really don't sound good to me (and I think the first one is Konglish for 'Sport')

I would do something like look up the Hanja (Korean Chinese Character) for the traits you like and then find the Korean word for that...

Just playing around, I went with "True" 眞 (진) Jin and "Martial" 武 (무) Moo and made a new kwan called Jin Moo Kwan = 眞武 () Jin Moo. (Somehow I think there already is a Jin Moo Kwan probably) and I am only playing with the Hanja and Korean terms... by no means am I an expert or even proficient, but this would be more in lines with my understanding of Korean language and application to martial arts. It sounds pretty legit!

dvcochran and Smitfire like this.
  8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

For what it's worth, the class I teach (a combination of street fighting with a TKD base and progressive physical training) is just called Functional Tae Kwon Do.

9. dvcochran

dvcochran New Member

From my experiential understanding and research 'jissen' simply means 'practice'. It is a verb so I suppose a person could get creative with it's meaning.
    For hangul I think 'hosinsul' or 'gwanhaeng' is close.