Korean Acupuncture Charts & Point Names

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by unknown-KJN, Aug 17, 2009.

1. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

Yes and no.

Korean:
    지 Ji 指 finger; toe; to point

Chinese:
    zhí (tone 2) 指 = finger; toe
    zhǐ (tone 3) 指 = to designate; to indicate; to hope; to confide in

Regarding the combinations you mentioned to form finger, toe, that is correct. It is a question of context. If using 지 Ji 指 without 수 Su (son) 手, 족 Jok (bal) 足, or 도 Do 導 the meaning could be any of "finger, toe, to point".

수지 SuJi (son karak) 手指 finger
    족지 JokJi (bal karak) 足指 toe
    지도 JiDo 指導 guide, lead, direct

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  2. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Being the lazy sort of fellow that I am, after seeing only the 3rd tone used for this character in my favourite online dictionary, I didn't bother to look it up in my paper dictionary (the online source usually shows more variants, yet another reason I neglected to investigate further). The online dictionary gave the translation of "finger, toe; point, indicate" on a rudimentary level, and "finger / to point at or to / to indicate or refer to / to depend on / to count on / (of hair) to stand on end" for its expanded explanation.

But just to elucidate about the correct tone to use for the various meanings surrounding this character, allow me to transcribe my findings from MY trusty paper C/E dictionary:

zhǐ (3rd tone) the first listing in my dictionary, which oddly enough, doesn't include "toe" (note: the bulk of word/phrase listings fall under this heading - over three columns worth).

1. the finger
    2. to point; to direct
    3. to indicate; to refer to; to mean
    4. the number of people
    5. intentions
    6. the main theme
    7. to hope
    8. to depend on

zhí (2nd tone) the second listing in my dictionary, which apparently must be followed by HEAD/TOP (tóu; 頭) and only (or specifically) refers to the fingertips or fingerpainting (note: only three listings exist for this heading).

zhī (1st tone) the third listing in my dictionary, and like the preceding entry, is always followed by ARMOR/SHELL/CARAPACE (jiǎ; 甲) and since jiǎ also means "nail" all references include something about the fingernails (note: a total of six listings are found under this heading).

3. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

This is from my HanJa-HanKeul dictionary:

Korean:

and this is from my etymology dictionary:

Chinese:
    chih 2 (zhí (tone 2)) 指 = finger; toe
    chih 3 (zhǐ (tone 3)) 指 = to designate; to indicate; to hope; to confide in

4. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

5. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

The issue with the orbits or circulations as they are stated there and most everywhere else is that they are incorrect from an acupuncture standpoint. While, in the natural course, 기 Ki 氣 Vital-Energy flows upward in the (양) 독맥경 (Yang) Dok Maek Kyeong (陽) 督脈經 (Pos-Prin) Governing Vessel Channel, it does not flow downward in the (음) 임맥경 (Eum) Im Maek Kyeong (陰) 任脈經 (Neg-Prin) Appointed Vessel Channel. Rather, both of these channels have ascending flows of 기 Ki 氣 Vital-Energy.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  6. jamesdevice

jamesdevice Jötunn

Is that just YOUR view that they are incorrect? Or is it a generally accepted fact that they are incorrect? Can you offer any corroborating references?

7. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

It is a fact. You want corroborating evidence, go read an acupuncture book. I'm not doing your homework for you.

8. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Just curious...there was another mapper on the aikido forum, and this person made referance to what he described as a "ki gland" located between the pinky and ring fingers on the hands. What is the coresponding point he was referring to?

9. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

The term "gland" is non-standard and the poster was not very specific http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1074439704&postcount=13.

However, if he is referring to acupuncture cavities of the hand between the ring and pinky fingers it must be one of the following:

on the palm of the hand:

H.8 Lesser Storehouse 少府 소부 So Bu 少府 Shào Fǔ 少府 ショウフ SHŌ FU

on the back of the hand (SJ, TS refer to the same channel translated differently):

TS.2 Fluid Gate 液門 액문 Aek Mun 液门 Yè Mén 液門 エキモン EKI MON
    TS.3 Middle Islet 中渚 중저 Jung Jeo 中渚 Zhōng Zhǔ 中渚 チュウショ CHŪ SHO

Attached Files:

• H8.JPG
      H8.JPG
      File size:
      67.9 KB
      Views:
    • TS2-3.JPG
      TS2-3.JPG
      File size:
      72.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  10. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Not sure, but I think perhaps H.8?

11. jamesdevice

jamesdevice Jötunn

I would - if I knew which books to believe. Your comment that "as they are stated there and most everywhere else is that they are incorrect" rather seems to suggest that any book I read would be in disagreement with what you claim. So if I DID "do my homework" as you put it, I'd probably learn something at odds with your statement.....

12. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

Acupuncture books do not talk about what is called micro/macrocosmit orbits/circulations or small/large revolve heaven. Therefore, it was clear that my statement about incorrect information was in reference to non-acpuncture book sources. Now, if you had read a few acupuncture books you would have already realized that. In any case, I said, "You want corroborating evidence, go read an acupuncture book." Why would I tell you to read an acupuncture book as evidence of what I said if such evidence would not be correct in such an acupuncture book? Really, you are just trying to stir up trouble as usual and have no interest in this topic.

13. jamesdevice

jamesdevice Jötunn

so SeaonIn, you make a statement that ""as they are stated there and most everywhere else is that they are incorrect" which would seem to put you in disagreement with most others, and then you refuse to provide the evidence
    OK, I know where this is heading: we've been here before haven't we?

14. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

Shut up and stop trying to cause trouble just to amuse yourself. I'm done with you for the night. Time for bed.

15. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Hi, James:

Try this:

"Huang Di said, “The Qi of the five organs circulates throughout the body in a continuous fashion, like the universe with its myriad galaxies. The Qi flow begins in the TAIYANG/Bladder and Small Intestine Channels which serve as the primordial, dynamic beginning spreading along the back of the trunk and limbs. It is regarded sometimes as the father.

The Qi then flows onwards to the YANGMING/Stomach and Large Intestine Channels, which act as the defender as it traverses the front of the trunk and limbs.

Next the Qi travels though the SHAOYANG/ Gallbladder and SANJIAO Channels on the sides of the trunk and limbs. It is the bridge between the interior and exterior of the body, or where the Qi makes its entry into the deeper Yin environment.

The first Yin channels the Qi passes through are the TAIYIN/ Spleen and Lung Channels which are the outermost channels amongst the Yin Channels. The TAIYIN Channels are the great nurturer, sometimes regarded as the great mother.

The Qi winds its way further into the SHAOYIN/Kidney and Heart Channels, which are the gatherer of the Qi into the deep reservoir of the Body.

As the Qi penetrates into its final destination, before it begins the cycles all over again, it arrives at the JUEYIN/Liver and Pericardium Channels.

The YIN at its peak begins to decline, allowing the YANG to rise, like the moon, which is symbolic of YIN in the night sky. When the night is dying, the Sun, which is symbolic of Yang will be born. The YUEYIN Channels are the extreme Yin vessels which act as a transition between Yin and Yang Channels as the Qi flows harmoniously through them, maintaining a delicate balance.
    The cycle is repeated , always following this order, unless there is pathology, which can disrupt the flow of Qi.

Yellow Emperor’s Classic of Medicine; (trans) Maoshing Ni, PhD. ; Chap 79, pgs 295-296.

BTW: In the 1995 translation (see: Shambala Press) there is a wonderful two-page Bib with both pre-1911 and post-1911 resources. You'll really want to check it out.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

16. unknown-KJN

Thanks, Bruce, as the Yellow Emperor's Internal Classic (黃帝內經) has always been considered the *go to* book when it comes to understanding TCM theory & practice. And the part you quoted can be seen in this image (which I also provided in post #58, BTW):
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, it doesn't touch on the extraordinary vessels, of which the discussion about the microcosmic orbit is centered. All one has to do (and by "one" I mean, jamesdevice) is look at post #127 or post #134 to see that the PATH of these two meridians is indeed upward or "ascending" as SeongIn put it. More info regarding the matter can be found on Wicked Pædia: Eight Extraordinary Vessels, Chinese Alchemy, KI-gong Neidan

Dr. Jwing-Ming Yang and Mantak Chia are perhaps two of the most well-known authors on the subject, and both say the same thing about the energy during KI-gong practice running DOWN the front after it has traversed UP the spine. I'm too lazy to dig around in this thread any more than I already have, but I seem to recall that SeongIn stated that what really happens during microcosmic orbit meditation, is that the energy makes a figure-8 pattern, first ascending the Governor Vessel, then returning to the *core* (or danjeon) and then it ascends the Conception Vessel after which it again returns to the core (thus completing the circuit). This explanation doesn't actually state that what the *experts* say is WRONG, instead it merely asserts that the microcosmic orbit doesn't conflict with the NATURAL flow of the energy through the channels. FWIW

EDIT:
    If I had to speculate why the experts make you want to think that you need to *force* the KI backward along the Conception Vessel, may have something to do with ensuring that you don't *short-circuit* the full path of the Governor Vessel (which terminates in the mouth). There is a tendency for the energy to return to your core after only getting as far as the neck, but this should be avoided if wanting to achieve the desired results of the exercise. Just spit-balling now, but it could be they are only advocating a circuitous revolution along the Governor Vessel, and not one which actually involves KI movement along the Conception Vessel (which theoretically would need to go from groin to chin, not chin to groin).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  17. unknown-KJN

If you're not sure, then let me remind you of something that could make your initial assumption less definite...

The Triple-Burner meridian moves from the end of the extremity back towards the body. Any KI energy found at this point (meaning TB-1) normally wouldn't have gotten there by moving backward along the channel (BTW, the EXACT contention which SeongIn has with the qigong *experts*) and so it would have to come from where it splits off the Pericardium meridian (at PC-8). Thus, whether the energy came from the vicinity of the HEART or the HEART PROTECTOR (i.e. the Pericardium) is a moot point, don'cha think?

18. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

Here is my original post in the Acupuncture thread if you were interested. I previously removed it because it was off-topic at the time. However, now the thread is on this topic so I will post it.

Internal training extensively uses the 기경 팔맥 KiKyeong PalMaek 奇经八脉 Strange Channels Eight Vessels which are shown below according to their pairing. Note that the Appointed and Governing are listed as 맥경 Maek Kyeong 脈經 Vessel Channel as they are both part of the vessel system as well as channels of the regular system having their own cavities.

음교맥 Eum Kyo Maek 陰蹻脈 Neg-Prin Standing Vessel
    (음) 임맥경 (Eum) Im Maek Kyeong (陰) 任脈經 (Neg-Prin) Appointed Vessel Channel

양교맥 Yang Kyo Maek 陽蹻脈 Pos-Prin Standing Vessel
    (양) 독맥경 (Yang) Dok Maek Kyeong (陽) 督脈經 (Pos-Prin) Governing Vessel Channel

음유맥 Eum Yu Maek 陰維脈 Neg-Prin Tieing Vessel
    (음) 충맥 (Eum) Chung Maek (陰) 衝脈 (Neg-Prin) Penetration Vessel

양유맥 Yang Yu Maek 陽維脈 Pos-Prin Tieing Vessel
    (양) 대맥 (Yang) Dae Maek (陽) 帶脈 (Pos-Prin) Belt Vessel

Regarding microcosmic and macrocosmic orbits, the analogy of orbits is somewhat flawed. Specifically, vital-energy does not flow in a circle up the Governing and down the Appointed vessel channels as any student of acupuncture should be aware.

More correctly, in terms of vital-energy flow in acupuncture, it originates in the lower abdomen, emerges at the perineum, and flows externally up the Governing, enters and descends internally at the mouth, returns to its origin in the lower abdomen, emerges at the perineum, and flows externally up the Appointed, enters and descends internally at the mouth. I will leave further details of its internal path to a later discussion. In other words, vital-energy flows in a figure-8 pattern ascending externally and descending internally.

To seal this path thereby allowing the flow of vital-energy, one must hold up or seal the perineum (AV.1 회음 HwoiEum 會陰 Meet Neg-Prin and GV.1 장강 JangKang 長强 Long Strong) and close or seal the mouth (tongue on palate). Note, by "close" I do not mean literally to put the lips together. "Close" or "Seal" the mouth means to close or seal the circuit/path by the touching of the tongue to the palate.

19. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

Can someone answer a question from a complete novice on this ? These "channels" and the energy that flows within them would be seen as ??? inside the body? Are they nerve channels that carry electrical signals in the direction you are describing ? or are they still not understood enough to actually physically point one out on a body during disection. I'm not saying I don't believe, I'm just trying to understand how it all works. I've always been fascinated by the body as a machine and so I tend to think of it as such. Thanks in advance,

20. unknown-KJN

Just a quick mention here, that I had always been taught it was specifically the soft palate to which you place your tongue (so further back in your mounth than say, right behind the teeth). ;)