[Korea] korean tukkong

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by samuri-man, Jan 16, 2005.

1. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

i'v never heard of this art in my life, do anyone, know about it?, do it?, or can anyone explain it?

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

3. Coges

Coges Valued Member

http://www.masteryi.com/Tukonghome.htm

The above link is the apparent creator of Tukong Moosul. The reason I say apparent is that I have no evidence to back this up but it says so on his website, so that must make it so.

They are located in Austin, Texas.

Looks quite interesting but there is no Tukong where I live so I may never find out.

4. DragonDude

DragonDude New Member

Saw Tukkong Demo.

Saw Tokkong demo it was very well done, but quite flashy with high kicks (as you expect from Korean arts) and diving scissor kicks to head & somersaults, etc.

Supposed to be Korean Special Forces fighting art? But doesn't look that practical, with the high kicks, flashy stuff, etc.

Looks like combination of Hapkido & Tae Kwon Do.

5. Spyke

Spyke New Member

Can I help?

I hadn't heard of Tukkong Moosul til I got to university and once there ignored it for a few years. Last september I took the plunge and attended a few training sessions.

Needless to say I am hooked!

Unfortunately I am not in a position to compare it to other styles, but I can tell you what I know about it.

It was developed in '79 as a special forces close combat system by the Anti-terrorist branch of the Korean forces. Infact I believe that 'Tukkong Moosul' means 'Korean special forces martial art'.

The governing body is the KWTA (World Korean Tukkong Association)
    Check out http://www.tukkong.com/eng/com_index.asp?num=com_04

Many practitioners Cross train which is encouraged as Tukkong covers striking, grappling, takedowns and ground work.

As for the post that refers to it as 'flashy' remember you where watching a demonstration intended to impress you, on the mat we practise high kicks for flexablity and strength, but it is not supposed to be used in a real life situation. On 'the street' it's the family jewels which get the attention!

In the UK there is 1 academy, in Milton Keynes, which teaches Tukkong. My university is fortunate enough to have a relationship with the Horangi Academy so we get training on campus.

I will try to answer any questions anybody cares to throw at me!

6. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

i saw a tukong musool demo by korean masters and i would have to say that it is very practicle, from knife dissarms, gun dissarms and who to deal with mulitple attackers.

7. kkal

kkal New Member

tukkong moosul in uk?

Hi,

Does anyone know where I could learn Tukkong Moosul in the UK?

I have looked around but can't find any schools in the UK?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks

8. Toki_Nakayama

Toki_Nakayama Valued Member

Tukong Musool is one of the arts used by Korean special forces, Police departments depending on the district and some of the Regular Army, Navy, Airforce, Marine units.

Its pretty comprehensive covering all ranges of combat. Some of the techniques may look "flashy" but Ive seen people from other styles like Kung Fu, Muay Thai, Karate, etc get jacked up with them in practical application and knocked out.

There some schools outside of Korea that supposedly are Tukong Musool but im not so sure about them, I think they are just polished up Hapkido schools. Similar to how many folks outside of Israel dont really train in Authentic Krav Maga but some hodge podge of jujitsu and RBSD