[Korea] KLPT

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Studude67, May 5, 2009.

1. Studude67

Studude67 The hungry fighter

Hey everyone ive been in Korea about two and a half years now, my Korean is of a good standard, i studied alone using books, studied at a language institute for a while and even was accepted to study at university here. My Korean is far from perfect and i wish i had more time to study but what with work and training i cant get to the language institute thesedays. So i bought an exam book and im preparing to take the Korean Language Proficiency test at the end of July.

The KLPT test incorporates Listening, vocabulary, grammar, reading and conversation into its testing module.

I aim to atleast achieve level 4 standard out of the 6 levels. an explanation of the levels can be found here: http://www.klpt.org/english/klpt/evaluation.asp

I was just wondering if anyone here had taken the KLPT or any other Korean language examination? or perhaps were thinking about taking it too.

heres the link to the site if others are interested:

http://www.klpt.org/english/

2. MunSan

MunSan Valued Member

안녕하세요, Studude! 저도 국술 제자에요 -- 제 열은 단보에요. 한국말을 그렇게 잘 못하지만 열심히 할 거에요 (Did I say all of that correctly?). I'm not thinking of taking a proficiency test anytime soon (I need to improve my Korean skills significantly); I simply wanted to introduce myself and say, "행운을 빌어요!"

This is also my first time to post anything on MAP. I was thinking of joining some of the Kuk Sool discussions, but perhaps when the time is right.

Well, let's learn ourselves some Korean! 시작할까요?

3. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Years ago I took the level 2 and passed it and took the level 3 and failed it by a little bit.

I took the level 2 test after about 2.5 years in Korea and then a year later took the level 3. I found some of the test questions difficult in that they often would have a passage with one word omitted that needed to be filled in (with no options allowed... only one "right" answer).

At the time I was preparing for them, I was entertaining the idea of studying at a Korean University (and I think a minumum score of 4 was required). Overall, although I didn't care for the test formats, it does make for a decent "general" idea of where your language skills are.

Give it a shot!

4. Studude67

안녕하세요 문산씨! 오 한국말 잘할 수 있는데요 ㅋㅋㅋ 어디서 배웠는지 궁금하네요!

ummm when you said 저도 국술 제자에요 you should really say 제자예요 that is correct. It is spelt 예요 but pronounced more similar to 에요 when said in conversation.

the next part (제 열은 단보에요) im not sure really what you are trying to say when u say 열 perhaps you mean level as you next mention 단보? as in 단보님? and then the same would apply there too with the use of 예요.

When you finish by saying 한국말을 그렇게 잘 못하지만 열심히 할 거에요 its perfect :-D but you could also say 한국말을 그렇게 잘 못하지만 열심히 해볼게요 as in i will try hard or give it a good shot.

네! 공부합시다!! 내 말을 다 이해할 수 있죠? 우리 어디서 시작할까요? 호호호

Its great that people are starting to use the korean forum again :D:D:D

5. ember

ember Valued Member

From the little I know, I would suggest stair-stepping your way up.

My brother-in-law has been living in Japan for the last 3-5 years, it seems. He took the proficiency test for Japanese. He had some trouble with the level 3 one, so he went back and did the level 2. I think he intends to work up to the level 3.

6. MunSan

MunSan Valued Member

To reply to the first sentence, I'm still pretty confused as to when to use -는데요. What does it mean exactly?

As for the second sentence...something about not being nervous where I've learned? And -네요 is used to express surprise, right?

흠...흥미롭다. According to Lonely Planet's Korean Phrasebook, if the last syllable is without a 받침, the conjugation of 이다 is 에요, and if the last syllable has a 받침, it is conjugated as 이에요, which can be shortened to 예요. Is this one of those instances where the grammatically correct way is different from how most people say it, or is Lonely Planet incorrect?

열 means "rank."

아이고, 맞아요! 해보다 -- to try. 그러나, shouldn't it be "해볼요?" Just being picky, I suppose. :)

예, 다 이해할 수 있네요. Although I guess this is a good place to start: I don't understand a lot about stringing verbs together other than with -서 or -고. For example, how would one say, "I think I understand everything you're saying?" In other words, how would 이해할 수 있다 connect to 생각하다?

7. Studude67

QUOTE]To reply to the first sentence, I'm still pretty confused as to when to use -는데요. What does it mean exactly?

As for the second sentence...something about not being nervous where I've learned? And -네요 is used to express surprise, right?[/QUOTE]

은/는데 means "but", in this instance i said.. 오 한국말 잘할 수 있는데요! (oh! but you speak good korean!) in reply to your saying that you cannot speak as well as i had.

the second sentence.. 어디서 배웠는지 궁금하네요! means i am curious (궁금하다) about where you learnt (배우다) korean. And yes you are right about -네요 expressing surprise, in this instance i was surprised at how well you spoke and some of the words that you used :)

hmmmm me and my girlfriend just had an almost hour long conversation over this and we finally cracked it :p for her it obviously comes natural being korean and for me its been a long time since i learnt it, but here it is..

when there is no 받침 (consonant) and the ending is a vowel you should you use 예요. For example 제자예요, 얼마예요? i now looked in one of my old korean text books and it states that -이에요 is the polite informal form of 이다 and when a noun ends in a vowel we use 예요. So it would seem that lonely planet is wrong?

Therefore when a noun ends in a consonant (받침 있을때) you should use 이에요 for example 물병이에요, 쓰레기통이에요 etc

This rule was also found to be proven on the internet on a korean site my gf found as it stated:

(1) 받침이 없을 때 : -예요

(2) 받침이 있을 때 : -이에요

There does however seem to be an exception when 이 is already present at the end of the noun 에요 can be used. for example when saying the time.. 한시에요 because the 이 from 이에요 is already present in 시. But this rule me and my girlfriend see to be true although im sure its possible to say 한시예요 so that is probably where the gramatically correct way is different from how people say it. If anyone has anytmore to add on that then please do because there may be a few more exceptions. Dont take everything i say as gospel but i do get a good feel for Korean as i speak it everyday and i seem to be pretty gramatically sound.

yeah 해보다 is to try and your right 해볼께요 can be used but it really is only adding more emphasis as ㄹ게 means will do. Oh and i dont care but when you should know that you shouldnt use 그러나 with korean people, 그런데 is much better and means the same, 그러나 is more informal and korean people dont seem to like it as i found out when i first went to Korean class :p

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  8. Studude67

ok this is where it gets interesting with stringing verbs etc together :p

-서 means "therefore" or "so" it can be used with the verb in its complete form i.e 해 (do), 봐(look/watch/take), 뚸어(run), 걸어(walk) it is used usually in conjunction with another statement. It is similar to -니까. Here are some examples:

어젯밤에 너무 늦게 자서 오늘 아침에 못 일어났어요 ( last night i slept really late so this morning i couldnt wake up.

난 잘못 써서 다시 써야겠다 (i wrote it wrong so i will have to write it again)

난 오늘 숙제 안해서 선생님이 화났어요 (I didnt do my homework today therefore the teacher was angry)

-고 is used in many ways but often just to mean "and" for example:

그아이스크림이 맛있고 완전 싸네요! that icecream is delicious and really cheap!!

난 오늘 도서관에 가고 친구 만나러 갈거예요 (today i will go to the library and go to meet my friend)

Now this is where things will really start to get complicated...

when using 생각하다/ 새각했다 (to think or to have thought) you must use these endings:

with a verb = ㄴ/는/은다고
    noun = (으)라고
    adjective = 다고
    past tense = 다고
    future tense = ㄹ/을거라고

and then you just +생각하다 ontop of that. here is one example of each:

verb: 못 간다고 생각해요 ( think i cant go)
    noun: 제가 천제라고 생각해요 (i think im a genious)
    adjective: 맛있다고 생각해요 (i think its delicious)
    past tense: 안봤다고 생각해요 ( i dont think ive seen it)
    future tense: 볼거라고 생각해요 (i think ill go watch it)

so to answer your question you would say: 이해할 수 있다고 생각해요

however when looking at these again it is often more natural to say 것 같아요 (guess)

밥 먹을거 같아요 ( i guess i will eat dinner)
    본거 같아요 ( i guess ive seen it)
    etc etc

If you want to go even further into it, the same endings are used when saying what someone said....

My mum said it will rain today.... 우리 엄마가 비가 올거라고 했어요
    My mum said it rained yesterday.... 우리 엄마가 어제 비 왔다고 했어요
    My friend said its not ok.... 우리 친구가 안괜찬다고 했어요
    Our teacher said the school trip is on wednesday... 우리 선생님이 우리반 여행을 수요일이라고 했어요

i can teach you also to shorten that but maybe later. Its actually been the first time in ages that ive really sat down and typed in Korean, me and my gf always used to on korean messenger but we speak in english so she can practice thesedays, im more used to just speaking it so im a little rusty, apologies if theres sth i missed and please correct me if theres something you noticed may be wrong.

I hope this has helped and maybe its too much in one go, its really best to get some text books that explain better. Anymore questions? :)

9. MunSan

MunSan Valued Member

아이고, 그 정보가 진짜 많았어요! 그래도 도움주셔서 고마워요. Hey, that reminds me -- how about saying "for" in sentences, such as "thank you for (something)." Is -주셔서 acceptable to use for every instance? Where does the -셔서 come from, since I know that 주 is from 주다, meaning "to give?" So, would "Thanks for complimenting me on my Korean" translate as, "제 한국말을 한지 칭찬주셔서 고마워요/감사해요?"

아, so is that why 그런데 means "however" or "but" -- because of the -은데 ending? Does -은지/는지 roughly translate as "about" or "as to?" That would make this another useful and often-used verb ending, right? There's apparently at least one other usage for the verb ending -네요; something about reiterating what someone else has asked or said?

Oh, and thank you for clearing up the 이다 verb!

서 -- therefore/so, 고 -- and/and then, and all the different ways to say "that" as in, "I think (that)..." or "My friend said that..." Got it! 알았어요! One question though... 한 질문있어요...

I'm confused about "수요일이라고." You're using the ending -라고 as if this were a noun, so what is the 이 for? Is it simply the subject particle 이/가, is it actually supposed to be the verb 이다, or did you mean to type -에 (the "DLT" particle, as I like to call it, which stands for "destination, location and time")? What is the future tense of 이다 -- 일거예요? I don't even think 이다 would apply in this situation, since it's really only used to show identity, as in "He is this," "She is a teacher," etc., 맞으세요? How would you actually say "It's on Wednesday" -- 수요일에 있어요?

또한 감사해요. 이따 말할거예요.

10. Studude67

yeah it is pretty much acceptable in every instance when thanking someone or saying how someone did or gave sth to you. Although you can just use -줘서. The 셔서 is 존댓말 (formal speech) you can use 시다 when speaking to someone older than you, you respect or of higher status etc. For example you might say to your friend 밥 먹자 (lets eat dinner) but you would say to your grandfather 식사 합시다. Another example might be 미세요 (to push) which would become 미시요. Or as you said earlier in your post 도움 주셔서 고마워요 you could just say 도움 줘서 고마워요.

As for how "Thanks for complimenting me on my Korean" would translate, it would look like this.. 제 한국말을 칭찬해주셔서 감사합니다 or 제 한국말을 칭찬해주서 고마워요 but it is often not necessary to use the subject when thanking someone for their compliments, its often just as acceptable to say 칭찬해줘서 감사합니다 it actually sounds more natural, but ofcourse you may need to refer sometimes as to what you are thanking for.

yes i believe it is formed from 그렇다 (so/like that) + ㄴ데 (but) because it is often used refer to a statement has already been made, for example:

가: 지금 날씨가 너무 좋아요! (the weather is really nice now!)
    나: 그런데 이따가 비가 올거 같아요 (but later i guess it will rain)

ummmm this is kinda a tough one for me to translate specifically, it can be used in many ways but often when describing something you know/dont know or asking someone if the know or dont know such as:

얼마 인지 알아요? do you know how much it is?
    어디 있는지 아세요? do you know where it is?

얼마 인지 모르겠어요 i dont know how much it is
    어디 있는지 잘모르겠어요 i dont really know where it is

it is often used with 알다 (to know) or 모르다 (to not know), it can also be used in future tense.. 할지 안할지 모르겠어요 (i dont know if i will do it or not)

although im not sure ive really grasped your question on this one, perhaps if you gave me an example of what you mean then i can clear it up better because there are other ways it can be used.

im not too sure what that could be, the only thing i could think of is that you might of meant 다/냐/라/자 니요? it is used to reiterate something someone has already said with surprise as if to say "really?" hmmm im not sure but ill ask someone if there is another use for -네다.

11. Studude67

firstly i did make a mistake.. it should have been 여행이 not 여행을. So the sentence would look like this:

우리 선생님이 우리반 여행이 수요일이라고 했어요

im using the ending -라고 because here wednesday is a noun. The 이 is not a particle but simply because the noun 수요일 ends in a ㄹ and you must therefore add 이 as in 이에요 like we discussed before. This has made me realize that when i said before i put that you should use (으)라고 for nouns im sorry but it should be (이)라고... (으)라고 is used for polite orders for example 밥 먹어요 = 밥 먹으라고 했어요

so to clear it up here is the list again edited:

with a verb = ㄴ/는/은다고
    noun = (이)라고
    order = (으)라고
    adjective = 다고
    past tense = 다고
    future tense = ㄹ/을거라고

and another one used for 부탁 (request or favour) is 달라고 하다 for example:
    친구가 나한테 사진을 찍어 달라고 했어요
    제가 직원한테 물을 좀 달라고 했어요

and finally another is 냐고 하다 which is used for questions for example

우리 엄마가 몇시냐고 했어요
    어떤 사람이 나한테 어디서 왔냐고 했어요

When we say 우리 선생님이 우리반 여행이 수요일이라고 했어요 it translates as Our teacher said that our school trip is wednesday as apposed to using the "DLT" particle 에.. if you wanted to used 에 it would look like this:

우리 선생님이 우리반 여행이 수요일에 있다고 했어요 which means that there is a school trip for our class on wednesday. Saying this way kind of implies a non compulsive attitute as if to just say that there is a trip on wednesday.

As for whether there is the future form 일거예요 for 이다 im not 100% sure actually, this is one thing that i have been confused about in the past so i want to double check tomorrow then get back to you. I can think of some instances where it could be used but as you said it is commonly asscoiated with nouns so im not sure, im not really one for grammar :p

and finally as for how you would say "It's on Wednesday" 수요일에 있어요 can be used yes but also 수요일이에요. 수요일이에요 is more specific and with greater emphasis, it sounds more exact rather than 수요일에 있어요 which kind of means that there is on wednesday (but also can be on other days).

argh i hope some of this is helping, im not so good at putting my thoughts etc into words :p

12. MunSan

MunSan Valued Member

또한 도움줘서 감사합니다. 전 하와이에 이따가 가서 다음 일요일 까지 못써요. Have a great week, 스투두드씨! 화이팅!

13. Studude67

오 와우! 네 이번주 잘보내고 갔다 오세요!~

I checked it out about whether you can use 일거예요 and it turns out it is possible in order to say that something will be for example:

다음 주에 우리 선생님이 외국인 일거예요 - next week our teacher will be a foreigner.