[Korea] I'm back, and I've arrived!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by WalkingThePath, Sep 18, 2008.

1. WalkingThePath

WalkingThePath www.gplus.to/jayboyle

I have finally managed to do something I have spoken about for years. I am in Seoul!!:cool:

I am working as a Native English SPeaking Teacher, though I prefer to use the acronym NEST, as it makes me feel like a member of some kind of special forces group, or some kind of clandestine society - which is actually quite a good analogy for being a westerner in Seoul, as nealry every other westerner I see nods and smiles in a kind of "Yeah man, we're here, and we know we're from the west, ain't it cool??" way, that can sometimes be almost creepy!!:eek:

But anywho, I'm trying to teach Korean High School kids how to speak English, which is a task in itself. At the same time I am battling between the incessant lure of soju and nights out that last until 8 in the morning, and the desire to actually do something wiht myself at the weekends! :bang: So far, the soju has been winning, but all that is about to change - I am heading off to a TKD dojang I managed to track down tonight, to see what the deal is and if it's any good (It's the ITF style dojang in Itaewon if anyone knows it, words of advice/warning would be welcome.) And I am also looking into sangmookwan, which looks kinda funky too.
    So, my wayward drinking days will soon be behind me as I descend into a never ending cycle of work, train, eat sleep. Ah, it feels almost like home...

However, I do still want to go and be a tourist at times, so if anyone has any suggestions, again, all would be welcome!! I have already visited ChangDeokgung Palace, The Korean War Memorial (including the Gwanggaeto monument - it's kinda weird finding monuments to people whose names you shout out at the end of patterns!!), Namsan Park and the North Seoul Tower (even found the Ahn Joong Gun memorial - awesome!!) and a thorough exploration of the hell-hole that is Itaewon.:evil:

So, if any MAP members fancy doing a Korea MAP Meet, or if you are in Seoul and just want a new face to chat too - I am at your disposal!!

Here's to many more adventures in Seoul over the next year!!:banana:

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Good Luck! Have Fun

3. klaasb

klaasb ....

I will be in Korea in October (14th - 30th) we can meet at sangmookwan.

4. Sleepy Weasel

Sleepy Weasel New Member

I'm hoping to be in Seoul sometime early 2009. I've got a friend out there who claims to be teaching kids as well... We could meet at the base of Namsam with a couple of focus pads and some warmed up hamstrings?!?

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Glad you're having fun WTP, are you going to check out any KyukTooKi schools out there? Could be interesting too.

Mitch

6. WalkingThePath

Weasel - not a chance man, I know they guy you're talking about and he is a complete waste of space - I hear he only made his first class in seoul the other night - what a loser!!:) So when are you actually gonna drag your ass out here man??? Don't make me get the hose!!:woo:

Mitch, no kyuktooki as yet, but I'll keep you posted. You may be amused to hear that I have mastered the evasive art of kimchi scoffing. I love the stuff!! hehehehe

7. Sleepy Weasel

Sleepy Weasel New Member

The hose would be preferable to the paddle! I'll need to double check your school holiday dates but early doors 2009 is looking like a definite! I might even bring my dobok out too ;-)

I just hope those poor kids don't end up with a penchant for shell suits and dodgey looking perms! Remember too that "boss" doesn't mean that something's good and that "they do dat tho don't they tho" isn't a proper sentance :D

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

*Bloik* :eek:

And Sleepy Weasel you are clearly no master of our native tongue; "De do do dat doh dohn de do" is the correct pronunciation. Lah.:)

Mitch

9. Sleepy Weasel

Sleepy Weasel New Member

ha ha thanks Mitch, I never did manage to get to grips with the language. Still, it's better than down here in London, I spend my time running around picking up all the 't's people keep dropping.... cos I speak proper all the time of course ;-)

WTP - did you get to see the recreated Kobukson in the National Museum (?); didn't manage to get there at xmas/newyear.

10. Studude67

Studude67 The hungry fighter

I train Jonghab kyuktooki (종합격투기) just utside of Seoul, in Seongnam. I was training with Korean Top Team last year but have been at another gym for the last six months, two mma amatuer fights with SpiritMC (Korea's largest mma org) and two wins and im pushing to turn pro beginning of next year. I bloody love it!

as for random foreigners giving each other a nod when they pass in the street, that gets on my nerves. WalkingThePath if you ever wanna meet up just give me a message, i speak korean quite well now after two years being here so if you need any help too just shout!

11. WalkingThePath

Mwahahahahah - weasel - gimme a shout when you have nailed down a proper time - Early 2009 is good, all my hols are on the facebook group, so take your pic. And def bring the dobok - I can kick your **** in korea too!! heheheheh No kobeukson yet, though I have got sneaky glimpses of yi sun sin's statue. Must remember to carry my camera at all times!! I'm sure we can figure out a 'tkd highlights' tour when you come over man.

Thanks for the offer of help stu, much appreciated!! Whereabouts are you based in seoul?? PM me if you don't wanna share on the board!!

As for teaching the kids scouse -well I already have some of them greeting me in the corridor by saying 'y'allight' - next weeks lesson: The numerous uses of 'la'.:cool:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  12. Studude67

Studude67 The hungry fighter

i live just outside of Seoul in the city Seongnam, pink line number 8 Sujin station (수진역) and i train just down the road at Moran station.

13. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Wow, I cant believe I missed this thread.

I was thinking about teaching English in Korea. I think everyone mostly goes to Japan, so its probably an untapped resource.

What is the pay like? Decent enough to finance some big nights out? :p

Soju is like $1 a bottle, so I dont think the pay would need to be too big :p.

14. WalkingThePath

Pay is pretty good - especially if you have any teaching experience or a TEFL qualification...bumps your pay up a bit...
    If you want megabucks the hagwons are the way forward, but to be honest the public schools are just as good for pay, and you tend to get more time off and less stress...

Obviously, as with everything, there are good and bad schools...it really is a crap shoot as to your situation..but generally the support system seems to be better in a public school as you have someone to complain to if things get really horrible!

If you are already considering it, I would definitely say go for it mate!

15. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

What's the food like, like?