[Korea] Coming to Korea...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by WalkingThePath, Apr 21, 2008.

1. WalkingThePath

WalkingThePath www.gplus.to/jayboyle

Hi all!!

I am leaving the tepid British shores in August and heading to South Korea to teach English as a foreign language and train in TKD (and anything else I can lay my hands on!!:yeleyes:)

I was just wondering if anyone here has any tips, advice or general sage words of wisdom for me before I get out there? Anything at all is appreciated, from places I should visit, to places I should avoid, to how to chat to the locals, to clubs I should check out...

Any and all ideas are welcome.

Thanks folks!!

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Get to love Kimchee:) I've been trying for years and it still tastes foul:eek:

Enjoy your time there, I'm very envious!

Mitch

3. Studude67

Studude67 The hungry fighter

Im from the UK too, currently training mma in Seoul, also been training Kuk Sool Won, been here for about 2 years now, id be happy to meet up if u need any help with anything or advice.

Where in Korea will u be staying? my best advice for you is to start Korean classes right away if you dont speak it, studying from books and stuff is ok but the classes really give you the everyday stuff you need and stuff that you thought u wouldnt too so you can strat having good conversations fast.

if your looking to go clubbing, id reccomend 강남 (gangnam) or 홍대(hongdae) also just for general drinking id reccommend the areas around universities.

Oh and its already getting bloody hot out here, dont forget ur suncream and sunglasses :p

If you havent got ur visa sorted out already id look into that soon too because the Korean embassy in London can be a pain in the ****, they were just generally not too helpful with things and it took a while for me to get my second visa.

i could go on and on.. but generally your gonna have a great time ;-D

4. klaasb

klaasb ....

5. beaver

beaver Valued Member

Good luck walkingthepath.

One of my instructors students left for South Korea earlier this year and he is absolutely loving it.

He's also training and he says it's awesome.

Hope you have a fab time - and enjoy what you are going to be doing - very worthwhile.

Don't miss ole blighty's weather too much will you !!!

6. WalkingThePath

Thanks for all the encouragement foks - it's definitely gonna be an experience!! I am definitely gonna be in Seoul, so if anyone knows or can recommend a decent TKD or hapkido school in Seoul that would be awesome.(I know! There are hundreds, but if anyone has a club that they KNOW is good, and welcoming to westerners, it would be much appreciated!)

I am also interested in Gumdo, the Korean sword art, so any info on that would be useful!

Again - I have already bowed down to the great :google: gods, and found some info, but I'm looking for personal recommendations....

Cheers guys!!

Oh, and studude - whereabouts in seoul are you based?? May just take you up on the offer of meeting up - I'm sure a friendly face will be a welcome thing after a while!!

7. WalkingThePath

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Bugger - forgot to mention I'm ITF, not WTF!! Kind of important when it comes to clubs.....:rolleyes:

:)