[Korea] basic korean (and insults)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by wayne649, Aug 9, 2007.

1. wayne649

wayne649 allie of the night

hey in my tkd class the instructor talks in korean alot, just wondering if any of you could hook me up with a few phases to wow him with?

2. klaasb

klaasb ....

관자님게 운동하기후에 밥을 사주고싶습니다 ;)

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Presumably written phonetically in English? If the guy doesn't speak Korean, chances are he doesn't read it.

4. wayne649

and it just comes up as a load of boxs on my computer. phonetically would be good

5. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

That's a better idea anyways!

OP - If you can't see the Korean characters , go to View-Encoding-Korean and you shall.

To be honest, I learned a few Korean swear words but we never used them much in conversation... those we used were pretty "boring" compared to US swear words. Besides, I sure wouldn't swear words with my instructor, let alone in the dojang.

I'd list a few but I don't want to break TOS. :D

Take a look at this thread on learning Korean for a better source of learning Korean to wow your instructor.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  6. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

If someone cant speak Korean, there is NO chance that they will read it.

7. Thomas

I think the point was that instead of trying to learn a few cuss words to impress your (Korean) Martial Arts instructor, why not take the time and effort to learn a bit more "proper" Korean?

By the way, the quote above is a polite expression to ask your instructor to go out to eat after training... something that will probably open up much more beneficial opportunities and discussions than a few swear words would anyway.

And, as a family site, I imagine MAP would prefer not to have swearing lessons in any language. (Just my opinion though)

8. wayne649

yea i didnt really mean swear words

9. NaughtyKnight

To learn a new language, you need to learn how to speak it, LONG before you learn to read it. Its just the same as how we learnt how to speak English when we were babies. Posting a scentence in a foreign language, on an english speaking forum, is pointless.

I'm not making any comment about swearing or anything else. Korean, as a language has no appeal to me. However, if people have an interest in it, by all means they should learn it. Instead of learning a few poorly translated swear words.

10. Thomas

I agree... although in Korean's case, learning the basics of reading is very easy (that's why the Korean literacy rate is so high). If a student studies the Korean arts, it would serve them to learn about the language as well, deeper than a few Romanized expressions (see my link above for resources).

When I started learning Korean, I first learned to read and write because it made absorbing the language that much easier. Same with Russian. With German and Spanish I had the advantage of knowing the core alphabet as it was. So, from my experience in languages and from my time as an Army linguist, I'd politely disagree with the notion of learning the speak "LONG" before reading - I'd posit that for an adult, learning to speak and read and write at the same time is doable and probably helps with deeper absorption.

I didn't post it but I speculated on what Klaas' rationale was.

If he had posted a list of insults as the thread title requested, he'd probably in trouble for replying to the thread.

Hence my above link to a thread with a ton of resources.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  11. wayne649

thanks for the link, probably shold have done a search first? aww well, thanks anyway

12. Thomas

Sorry if I came off as "catty", the thread title (and insults) is what set me on edge and why I recommended some links and other options.

On the plus side, I hope you see that there are some people here who take the topic of language study seriously, know a bit about Korean, and are willing to help. So, if you get into resources that teach Korean and need to ask a question, feel free to ask here.

All the best!

13. ember

ember Valued Member

I think learning to read a foreign language about the same time as learning to write is appropriate for anyone who can already read in their native language. I started Spanish at 13, and Russian at 19. The alphabets were among the first things covered. It certainly helps take notes when in class!

14. klaasb

klaasb ....

If you take up a study in Korean you certainly will learn to read/write it before you learn. The Korean alphabet is so very much sound-based that it is actually better to learn how to read it, because that way you don't have to use awful romanization.
    The Korean language has sounds we don't have in English.

You can learn to read and write Korean within a day or two/three.

My sentence says something like: Teacher, after practice I would like to buy you diner.

If you can't read the hangul, go to the control panel, click language settings and in the second tab turn on support for East-Asian languages (for users of Windows XP).

15. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

Korean is one of the few languages that isn't true for. Hangul is an extremely easy phonetic script to learn, and I'd bet money that for an hour a day, three days a week, for two weeks, I could have any of you here reading it very smoothly.

You may not understand what you're reading, but you'll be able to read it.

Given the simplicity of Hangul, most collegiate language programs I've encountered start teaching Hangul right off the bat along side spoken skills, as the ability to read re-enforces the speaking skills.\

As for insults...I'd post them, but I'm afraid everything I'd teach you would be a completely blatant violation of the ToS :ban:

16. NaughtyKnight

And there is the kicker. I could "read" it, but I wouldnt understand it. Knowing how to speak it first, then learning how to read, would be alot more effiecient.

17. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

Again, the phonetic simplicity of Hangul makes it extremely easy to learn, and learning to read and write it while speaking it reinforces any oral lessons in the language. Korean grammar is quite difficult for some, and having a visual way to learn vocabulary and grammar is a great help. In essence, you learn to speak it quicker by learning to read and write it.

18. klaasb

klaasb ....

Since it is obvious that NaughtyKnight knows absolutely nothing about this subject, I don't think it makes much sense to continue arguing about it.

Just take it from the people who have studied Korean a bit.

19. wayne649

sorry if i worded the question badly, but really i was just looking to know what the words and phases my instructor uses mean?

20. klaasb

klaasb ....

Well, what is it that your teacher says? What does it sound like?