Konigun Ninjutsu - Investigation and Report

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Gerald Greysmith, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Gerald Greysmith

Gerald Greysmith New Member

I apologize if this is a dead horse. My name is Gerald Greysmith and for over a decade I have researched and investigated with the assistance of Mr. Cayce Lancaster the group known as Konigun Ninjutsu and it's founder, Mr. Bryce Frederick Dallas. I am hosting my work on Mr. Lancaster's blog, and would like to allow everyone a chance to see that this ordeal went farther than just a lawsuit against E-Budo and some random occurrences of a fraud.

By all accounts Mr. Dallas was indeed a fraud of the kind we hope never to see again. I hope my articles represent that. Please feel free to check the link and indeed if you have any questions regarding my work (even if you don't like it) message me. I'd love to hear from you. If you were a member or even had dealings with this group we want to hear your story.

Thank you all,

Gerald Greysmith

(link deleted)

PS --- the most recent article is at the top. Just scroll down until you find the first one, "The Legend Begins."

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2019
  2. Gerald Greysmith

The site wouldn't let me post the link. My apologies. Here it is. I just added spaces

(link deleted)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2019
  3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod note: Welcome to MAP. the link has been deleted - at least while under discussion by the mod team. If you are going to use MAP to promote your page, you need to contact Mitch (listowner) for advertising rates.

You may feel free to post the article here though.

You can click on the "terms and rules" button to see our Terms of service. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  4. White Belt

White Belt Ender's Jeesh

If you are allowing the articles to be posted, I'll be glad to oblige. Here is the first one:

Friendly Force: The Story Behind Konigun Ninjutsu

Article One: The Legend Begins

Written by Gerald Greysmith
    [​IMG] K.01.jpg

The author would like to thank the ones who came forward with their testimonies to tell their part in this amazing and baffling story. Without you this would never have been possible. I hope this series brings to you peace. I hope those we lost during the research for these articles can rest knowing they also assisted and were able to help expose the Konigun Ninjutsu school as it was under Bryce Dallas for what it truly was.

Disclaimer: some names by request have been changed. Their stories remain the same. This was done by request of the contributors and the author has agreed to this in order to use the information they provided.

The author would also like to thank Cayce Lancaster for his assistance these last ten years. His perseverance against the ridicule he received from the group to include falsified charges, extraordinary stories against his character and the threats of legal issues to be brought against him should be known.

To anyone who reads these articles and would like to tell your story please feel free to contact the author at Gerald.g.greysmith@gmail.com

Bryce Dallas: The Legend of West, Mississippi

We all love a good story. I think personally that’s one of the things about our world are the tales we are told growing up that often times captivate us in our hearts and minds. We call them legends. In today’s modern world legends are starting to dwindle. Things we used to pass from generation to generation are now being dictated down onto digital formats and we are losing the mechanism of good and solid communication. We also lost sight of the oral traditions by moving to the more technical age we now find ourselves in. But we need these stories as they teach us important lessons. Jesus told parables to explain his ministry. And why should be any different?

But what makes a story? What makes someone want to know it? There’s always the hook of a story. When you find what you want to know you seek the entirety of it from start to finish. In terms of legends some people write their histories to be legendary and the truth is they can only be legendary in their own minds. But that doesn’t stop them from making themselves appear to be more than they are to those less suspecting individuals.

I study martial arts. Yes, a person such as myself has managed to stumble through that arena for almost thirty solid years of my life without ever becoming trapped on the issue of rank or title. Rather I study them for my own benefit and well-being. And I travel a lot with my job so I get to meet new and exciting practitioners all of the time. I’m a social worker with a somewhat successful business endeavor where people pay me to come tell them what they’re doing wrong with their own social services agencies. It is through these two areas of my life that I was brought onto the front lines as a participant to view the work and deeds of a man who would ensnare a large part of my life for over a decade, Bryce Frederick Dallas, founder and creator of a system of martial arts known as Konigun Ninjutsu.

His story would take me across the Southeastern United States to see with my own eyes how his actions have had severe ramifications on the lives of people who simply wanted to be a part of something positive. I talked for hours untold on the phone with people who in turn told me their story and sent me through the mail, email or other methods proof of what he had done and coerced them into doing themselves. People who never a day in their life had thought of hurting another human being were suddenly overcome with guilt and grief for their part, no matter how big or small, in the schemes of a man who would leave an indelible fingerprint on the lives of each person he came into contact with.

I sat and listened to people relate to me the story of Bryce’s training which was in turn ripped from the film Bloodsport, a movie which was also the history of another known fraud by the name of Frank Dux. To listen to these was to peer into the mind of what could functionally be called at best a very disturbed individual, and at worse a man who would do whatever it took to make his way in the world even if it meant costing others their livelihoods.

Bryce Dallas put on a shiny exterior to anyone who knew him. Some said in their talks with me it wasn’t all bad. After all because of him they gained the courage to face their own internal demons. But this was a fake courage inspired by a man who was no more legitimate than his Ph.D. certifications from various theological seminaries and diploma mills. His so-called skills and legacy were as authentic as Monopoly money. His history and style were counterfeit, something he was very familiar with from a previous incarceration in the 1980’s when he passed fake money around the area of Mississippi he happened to be living in at the time. Yes, it would seem once you begin to see the shine of his story, his training, his incredible life begin to fade you see the tarnish and decay which lies inside the soul of such a man.

I think that this can be said about this story, and it would explain my own vested interest in him. He was an incredible story-teller who weaved a magnificent story of daring and bravery, from being a special operative with the CIA, to an adopted son to a Japanese Ninja Master, Bryce Dallas rose to the top of the heap of so-called ninja masters who used the internet and message forums to attract the uninitiated into his ranks and use them for his own gain. I think his story should stand and serve as a warning to us all to be vigilant and to further ensure that we catch these people long before they can grow an entire world-wide organization from the depths of obscurity.

Bryce Frederick Dallas’ life culminated in one direction: absolute celebrity status and all the negative publicity that can come with that. To think what he may have been had he actually went legitimate, trained for real and, dare I say, become a master of sorts in his own right? Bryce had the charisma, the intellect and the charm. And he used these gifts to dupe people with little to no knowledge of the martial arts into believing he was actually a real martial artist and master. He hurt people. Plain and simple. While not all things about him in these articles will focus on the bad, it is painfully obvious that he used his station in life to cause massive amounts of pain and suffering across the people who put their trust in him to guide them, instruct them and mentor them.

It all starts for me in 2005

It was cold that year. I remember it well. I was living in Manchester, Tennessee at the time. Well, no, actually it was Hillsboro, Tennessee which is about three miles outside of the main city of Manchester County. I had moved there and recently been working towards furthering my education. I was of course training in martial arts, though to say I am anything near instructor level would be a joke almost as bad as calling Konigun a real and legitimate art (more on that as we go along.)

I frequented a site called E-Budo. Now, for those who don’t know E-Budo was ran by two gentlemen who are, in my humble opinion, part of a legitimate organization teaching both ninja and samurai arts. George Kohler and John Lindsey are members and instructors of the Genbukan World Bugei Ninpo Federation, headed by a former student of Soke Hatsumi, one Grandmaster Shoto Tanemura. E-Budo was the place a lot of traditional and modern Japanese martial arts enthusiasts gathered in order to discuss the topics of the day, compare notes, and talk about upcoming events. Despite the membership of the administrators, many Bujinkan, Jinenkan and Koryu arts were represented on this site.

It was here that I would first hear the name of Bryce Dallas. It was here I heard the name Konigun Ninjutsu.

Konigun Ninjutsu

Before I get into the meat and potatoes of this article I want to start by saying the name “Konigun,” according to inside sources of the system, claim it means “Friendly Force.” I passed this off to some of my friends who are well-versed in the Japanese language to inform me that the term as he spelled it, pronounced it and used it was all completely wrong. According to one friend who lived in Japan for many years and can speak, read and write in that language, “Konigun can’t mean what they say it does. However, there are multiple things it can mean. The language is a bit strange in that there are many words that sound the same, but are spelled differently and with different meaning“.

In a system claiming to be as old as Konigun was claiming to be, you see, they would have denoted it much, much differently. Say you compare the names of Shinden Fudo Ryu Dakentaijutsu. As I was informed the name of the school would be “Shinden Fudo Ryu,” or the “School of the Immovable Heart,” and “Dakentaijutsu” would denote it’s central focus and emphasis on a skill set. Even venerable systems which are known worldwide today in the area of ninjutsu are named “Togakure Ryu Ninpo Taijutsu,” or “Kumogakure Ryu Ninpo Taijutsu,” while Konigun Ninjutsu itself stands out all alone.

It is also interesting to note that saying it as “nin-jutsu” would mean it was a skill rather than an art.

Breaking this all down? Konigun Ninjutsu does not mean “Friendly Force.” It is, as I have been told, easier to call it “For Child Patience Skills,” or something close to that.

So why do I bring all of this up? Why would I spend a portion of this article to tell you about the singular functions of the name of this system?

It’s simply because in that name was a lot of the reason Bryce Frederick Dallas was able to con so many people. The name is part of the con itself. Konigun Ninjutsu, Friendly Force Ninja Skills….”friendly.” He fraudulently used a translation he came up with to sell his art to so many people under the pretense of it being about peace and tranquility. And this is important as these articles go along so you can see what he was like as a person and how he thought. His methods were meticulous, at least to the unsuspecting and the uninitiated.

Back to 2005

So as I am seeing these articles about Bryce Dallas I begin to realize I was also not very far away from him. By that point in time he had a school in Cookeville, Tennessee and was teaching his art openly. It wasn’t until someone got the wise idea to start asking questions that suddenly with no warning Bryce Dallas was being questioned on all fronts. People were popping up and telling their stories. They had trained with him, they knew him, they were speaking about things he had done to them or against them. This poses a large issue for the one and only Shidoshi. He could keep quiet, never speak a word and continue on his way doing his own thing.

Those who know Bryce Dallas know that was never an option for him. On the contrary, he was a ninja master and he was going to prove it come hell or high water.

No, instead he used his small army of students who were somehow versed in legalese to start a massive (and frivolous) lawsuit against any and all detractors. Cayce Lancaster, Dr. Phil Farmer, Eric Roach, many former associates and students, even people he didn’t know were being served paperwork in order to soothe the ego they had so maliciously attacked.

And in all of this I watched….dumbfounded….I was impressed honestly as I sit and think about it. Bryce Dallas, a person I had never even heard of had now within a month gained my attention in a way I couldn’t quite shake. I immediately set to work gathering for my own interests everything I could find on him and his system. I ordered the training manual which, at that time, ran me about twenty dollars (it goes for much more these days on Amazon.)

And so I studied. I read. I collected. And before I realized it I had gathered multiple binders, folders and boxes of notes and paperwork dedicated to the man and his system. And my life would be changed forever as a result.

The History of Konigun Ninjutsu

According to the old Konigun Ninjutsu website, the training manual, the forums which the art was discussed, and through eye-witness accounts from former students the history of Bryce Dallas becoming the Shidoshi of the art (apparently the grandmaster) was simple. He was living in West, Mississippi during his childhood. He saved a young Japanese boy from being bullied, and as a result Bryce was taken to meet the boy’s father.

If you follow the story from here Bryce claimed to have been taken on as a son and adopted by this man who was named Ensei Saija.

K.02.png

The Legendary Ensei Saija, this picture was taken in the early 2000’s in Japan by Bryce Dallas to silence his detractors online and put to rest any doubts about his legitimacy. It was later proven this man was not who Bryce claimed he was.

If one was to listen to this story one would be mesmerized by the fact that Bryce Dallas even met such a man in a town like West, MS in those days. Not to mention the sheer luck. In my opinion he was projecting onto his life the life he wanted with his father, Raymond Dallas, as they were not exactly close. Additionally he made this story the facts of his life much later on after he was grown. If sources serve correctly it was around 1985 or 1986 that he began telling this story to his students as they came to seek training.

However, this is not the truth. Truth is never fantastic or elegant. Truth is gritty and not as flattering. And Bryce, in his own mind, needed flattering. He needed his ego stroked. He needed recognition and he would do whatever it took to obtain it.
    K.03.jpg
    An alleged scroll from the Konigun Ryu, Bryce Dallas posted this
    and other scrolls with his trip to Japan in the early 2000’s.

Oh, our humble beginnings.

West, Mississippi is not a large town in anyway. From all directions one is greeted with endless woods, fields, and highway leading into various subdivisions far on the outskirts of town. But it was here in this small town that Bryce Dallas made his way through his formative years.

Bryce was actually native born to nearby Philadelphia, Mississippi. He was born on September 19th, 1963 to his parents, Raymond and Johnnie Carolyn Dallas who welcomed young Bryce into their family along with his three brothers and one sister. However according to childhood friends Bryce did not have the closest relationship with his father.

From all reports of those who knew the family during those years Bryce was actually very intimidated by his overbearing father and locals in the area who knew Mr. Raymond Dallas confirm he was, “one of the meanest summbitches I ever knew in my life.” This was from an account by Mr. Cayce Lancaster who obtained photographic evidence of Bryce Dallas’ life during those early years.

Speaking to a childhood friend who goes by the name of “Wayne,” this individual recounted to me events as he saw them growing up with Bryce and knowing his family.

“Bryce had it rough as a kid,” he began. “He was put through hell by his dad. From early on you could tell he was closer to his mother and sister but his brothers were a bit older than we were so we never saw them much.”

He continued, “Bryce never could please his father. Raymond was overbearing and had no real pride in the guy. I think that looking back at this we can see Bryce was driven from that age even to try and be better than his dad.”

It would seem that a large part of these years Bryce would try to hide from the world and yes, even himself. Which brings up the origin story of Konigun Ninjutsu that he told verbatim for years to potential students and detractors.
    K.04.JPG
    Bryce Dallas – East Holmes Academy circa 1970’s, during the time he
    claimed to be a resident in Japan learning the ninja way. (photos courtesy of Cayce Lancaster)

According to Bryce’s claims around 1972 when he was nine years old he encountered a Japanese man who would change his life forever. He alleged that he saved the son of a Japanese man from bullies in his local area and as a reward the child’s father, one Ensei Saija, took him in as a surrogate son and raised him. Bryce even claimed that he went to Japan as the ward of this gentleman and was, through him, taught the art of Konigun Ninjutsu side by side with his son.

Unfortunately for anyone who is versed in martial arts history this was also the story used by Frank Dux and made popular in the film Bloodsport, which starred Jean Clade Van Damme.
    bloodsport.jpg
    The story of his training most used was almost verbatim the script of this film
    starring Jean-Claude Van Damme.

So to summarize Bryce Dallas in his 20’s began telling the world that he was the adopted son of a ninja master who in turn passed on to him the grandmaster status, or as he called it, “Shidoshi,” and made him the defacto leader of a ninja school spanning back to the 1100’s.

This is counter to the year 1984 when Bryce, at 21 years of age, was teaching in Grenada, Mississippi a style he called Konigun Karate. At this time he had two students by the name of Travis and Richard who were training with him and this was where Cayce Lancaster first met him, also.

Cayce was one of the original students of Bryce in that class. During my discussion with him about that time he related that he was fresh out of high school and wanted to learn martial arts. It didn’t take long, however, for him to realize what Bryce was portraying was far from anything legitimate. After about two months Cayce said he had had enough and departed from the class and never returned. It wasn’t until 2005 during the lawsuit that Cayce realized Bryce was still very much active and had evolved his lies to go from Karate to Ninjutsu and had, to his and everyone else’s horror created a system which was spanning into other countries.

The Formative Years of the Ninja Dynasty

Frank Drake was the principal of East Holmes Academy and according to “Wayne” he was at first sympathetic to the plight of Bryce Dallas and could see the young boy had a turbulent at best home life. He was one of the first people in Bryce’s life to reach out to him and seek to offer him a hand up and guide him. Unfortunately as is often the case with students in such a position in life Bryce was not willing to let go of habits he had learned out of natural survival.

“Mr. Drake saw Bryce for what he could be but knew he was on a torn path,” Wayne related to me during our phone interview. “As a principal with many years of experience he saw Bryce gathering around him friends who would read Karate magazines and go behind the school bus garage everyday skipping class to learn martial arts out of them.”

What were they doing? “Beating each other to a damned pulp,” Wayne informs me. “They were also the test dummies for Bryce. He would beat them until they just about could no longer stand up.”

K.06.jpg

Frank Drake (Right)

Now, try and imagine being an educator in that school during this time. You have a group of students who actually go outside behind the bus garages and beat on each other using half-learned Karate skills. How do you even approach that? At best you would assume the behaviors are out of place and possibly try and intervene.

“It was a wonder no one was killed,” my informant continued, “and because of Bryce inspiring them they thought they could all fight. I think Mr. Drake was afraid they’d get themselves killed trying to use this stuff.”
    k.07.png
    This bespectacled teenager would grow up to become the head of
    Konigun Ninjutsu, a style of his own creation.

During the conversation I asked him what prevented Bryce from seeking a martial arts instructor who was legitimate and would have been able to help him learn, for real, skills he desperately wanted.

“Funny thing you ask that,” he began. “By that point I believe Mr. Drake and the school counselor were seeking someone to teach him. But Bryce was starting to show behaviors that were more like his father than anything else. Imagine giving skill like that to someone who would use it to bully others. He was already in the process of trying to establish himself as a badass and because of his size he had little to no issue with pulling that off.”

It didn’t take long before Mr. Drake saw what Bryce was going to become. He changed his tactics in dealing with the younger man and began to watch Bryce to at least make sure he stayed out of trouble while he was in East Holmes Academy as a student. Mr. Drake saw this early on in his life the trouble that Bryce was capable of inflicting on others and how he was able to coerce people to do his bidding.

Despite all of this, however, it was common knowledge according to many who knew Bryce that he was very gifted and smart. He was a solid student for the most part. However Bryce had issues with authority. He was sneaky. A hustler at heart. Skills he learned from his father who was subsequently just like him by all accounts.

Wayne continues in his story, “When we were finally getting to the end of our school years Bryce was offered a scholarship to Holmes Community College. This was a big deal, mind you, for a guy like him to get it. I think the school counselor pulled this off for him.”

However Bryce was not going to get the reaction at home he wanted. According to sources such as Wayne when he informed his father of the scholarship Mr. Raymond Dallas’ response was less than encouraging.

“He laughed at Bryce,” Wayne tells me, “Raymond told him he was too stupid to have that scholarship and he would just fail at it like he did everything else. Bryce was on multiple sports teams. Football, track, and was really fast for his size. And he was unnaturally smart at math and science. But his dad’s words struck a spot in him I think that hurt him worse than anything else. He just wanted Raymond to be proud of him for once in his life. When he saw that wasn’t going to happen I think all bets were finally off between them.”

Dead_pool and Pretty In Pink like this.
  5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Yawn.

Writing that article is a lot of time and energy spent worrying about someone else, when one could be training instead. (I would imagine from scrolling down the length of it. Sorry, no way I am going to take the time to read that.)

If that is what one wants to spend time doing, go for it. But I will never understand it.

Monkey_Magic and Pretty In Pink like this.
  6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Honestly, I love BJJ. If you think someone is a fraud you can call them out immediately and worst case scenario, roll to prove it. None of this drawn out guesswork, just a quick demonstration of physical skill and knowledge.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Wierdly in bjj, there's still a few a few pockets of people who are dubious, but mostly they get weeded out by checking lineage, and then visits for rolling to double check.

But places like GB glascow still occur.

Maybe if peoe checked background more lloyd irving and DJ jackson wouldn't still be in business.

Back to Mr dallas, he's an obvious fraud, having an in depth look doesn't really add anything more to that, but it's definitely an interesting example of what people can be led to belive.

8. White Belt

White Belt Ender's Jeesh

Yawn.

This is a short-sighted view that some people have. "Ignore it" doesn't make the problem go away. "Just shut up and train" is a form of enabling frauds like Bryce Dallas to flourish. There are a great many frauds in the martial arts. What are we going to do about it? Stand idly by and allow them to stain the public's perception of what martial artists are? Or are we going to do something about it? I really don't understand why someone would people posing as martial arts instructors to victimize other people. It's unconscionable. Frauds should not be tolerated. We, as a community, need to be more proactive in flushing them out and exposing them for what they are.

As these articles continue, it will be shown that this is exactly how Bryce Dallas advanced his agenda, in part by relying on the indifferent, dismissive attitude of those who were willfully ignorant of his actions. That's how he was able to operate what amounted to a cult which eventually became a virtual criminal organization.

Gerald and I have expended a great deal of time and effort in this investigation. That is true. And we will continue to do so. Not only that, but we will be expanding our investigative efforts into other frauds, not only in the martial arts, but other fields as well.

No, we are not making any money on this, but it is something we believe is worth our efforts. If some are too oblivious to the broader scope of this issue don't understand that really is irrelevant.

cloudz likes this.
  9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

True, we should weed out fakes. However Ninjutsu is rampant with frauds. If you successfully weeded out all the frauds you'd have like four dudes left.

10. Dead_pool

To be fair, the bujinkan, genbukan and jinenkan are legit, in the sense they have an unbroken connection in training going back a few generations, even if the ninja thing is very complicated.

Hatsumi exists, his teacher existed, and at least some of his teachers teachers existed for sure....

So thats a lot more legit, then some guy who creates his system in texas with no connection to anyone, and knowingly lies about it.

Frodocious, Dunc and White Belt like this.
  11. White Belt

White Belt Ender's Jeesh

Who said we are trying to weed out all the frauds? We're only 2 men, so that would be an impossible. Turning a blind eye and allowing frauds to proliferate is not the answer. We can only investigate those who come to our attention. That is the reason for my blog, and for the series of articles. The case of Bryce Dallas and konigun ninjutsu deserved more than a "look, a squirrel!", short attention span treatment. As the articles continue, it becomes obvious that people should have taken him far more seriously far sooner than they did. Had people exposed him early on and help fool his expansion, he never would have gotten to the point where he devastated a retired law enforcement official, committed a string of insurance frauds, sued e-budo.com (including yours truly), and tried to intimidate an administrator of martialartsplanet.com.

Gerald Greysmith likes this.
  12. Gerald Greysmith

While true, Bryce Dallas and his life could stand as a lesson to all who seek to stop frauds. His belligerence and way in which he tried to silence his detractors was terrible beyond words.

It stands to reason that while he did in fact create from scratch his Ninjutsu style he used it as a way to cover his other crimes. That is the story we are telling and I hope you all enjoy it.

As a community we have to stand to frauds.

13. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I have to admit, I actually completely agree with this. I can't pretend I care about this as an individual example, and not within an art, as PiP said, so rife with this sort of thing, but fraudulent teachers are a problem. People being mugged out of their time and money for not knowing any better isn't acceptable and, worst case scenario, over inflated or wrongly placed senses of ability get people hurt.

Usually I'm quite happy with letting people pee away their time how they want, but with something like martial arts and its physical nature, especially when so many fraudulent instructors market themselves on real world application, I do agree its a bit negligent to simply ignore it as if its victimless.

14. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Unless the Konigun cult still exists, whats the point of this? Unless his survivors are still about..

Gerald Greysmith likes this.
  15. White Belt

White Belt Ender's Jeesh

Check out the fb page for the School of Martial Arts in Wartburg, TN run by Jim Haynes.

16. White Belt

White Belt Ender's Jeesh

Article Two: The Myth Begins
    K.02.01.png

By Gerald Greysmith

Notation: This is more of what we would call, in my field, a summary article, in it would be information that will be pertinent later on in the narrative articles. I wanted to present some of the findings I have in an evidence-based sort of display and occasionally some of the articles will be laid out much like this one here is. The reason is to assist you, the reader, with having a reference point to go back to and see findings or stories that were brought up and later expanded upon. Please accept my apologies as I am sure you are used to more professional writers and I am just a humble social worker with an interest in stopping frauds.

It amazes me that even today with all the information on Konigun Ninjutsu and other fraudulent arts floating around out there in the world we still see links and information that come to bear that can oftentimes catch us off-guard and make us ask ourselves just HOW do these con-artists continue to make their way in this world?

I strongly feel that here is where we need to stop for the moment on the story of Bryce Dallas and move towards the history he perpetuated with his art. This is a very important step in the telling of this tale, as Mr. Dallas hinged his entire career in the martial arts on two things that were public.
    1. A legitimate history of his art that could withstand scrutiny from historians and martial arts professionals with a deep background in the history of the representative culture.
    2. A legitimate set of skills that could withstand pressure testing and further scrutiny and prove themselves effective, feasible and realistic.
    I mentioned in the last article that Bryce Dallas claimed to have been taught by an elderly Japanese man in West, MS, and was taken (again, according to his claims) to Japan to live with this gentleman to learn the ancient art of Konigun Ninjutsu.

Now on one of my few phone calls with Bryce Dallas shortly before his passing he informed me he never claimed to have studied an art that was as old as Konigun was supposed to have been. Yes, you read that correct. Bryce Dallas and myself had a few phone conversations prior to his death. The majority of them were actually just brief with him cursing me and telling me to stop my research. However the last two and a half calls seemed to open him up more. But I will tell more on that as the articles continue onwards.

During that phone call Bryce informed me that he was training in Ninjutsu that was presented to him by Ensei Saija and due to a lack of true understanding of the language and writing he was having to take at face-value the stories he was presented from both his teacher and studying the scrolls. Mind you in that very sentence is a lie in and of itself. Bryce Dallas confessed to having a lack of understanding in the language and writing, but was taking the scrolls AND his teacher at their word. I asked him during one of those talks if, at the very least, did he think to possibly present his lineage for further scrutiny to one of the many, many historians in the world who could further back up his claims? He seemed to fumble for words here but buckling would be most appropriate I would think.

In studying the history of Konigun Ninjutsu a person in the early 2000’s would only have to look on Google or social media. Konigun had it’s own webpage, too.

To get us started, we can see the history of Konigun Ninjutsu was once summarized in an old social media post. For that, let us start with Myspace. For those who don’t know or don’t remember Myspace predated Facebook by a couple of years.
    K.02.02.png
    Tom apparently just let anyone into Myspace.

Breaking Down the Door Of History

K.02.03.jpg
    An actual screen shot of the Konigun Ninjutsu Myspace Page, taken around 2007 by the author.
    K.02.04.png
    A closer view of the screenshot and some of the relevant information.

Now, according to this we see that Konigun admins (could be Bryce, could be someone else) as early as 2007 were claiming this art to be over 800 years old. As a matter of fact it was common knowledge that Bryce Dallas claimed on several occasions that the style was in fact founded in 1196 in Japan and was the “first Christian Ninjutsu School.”

Let us break it down even further. Here is the excerpt from Amazon for the sale of the training manual, which sadly has not been updated since it was placed there many years ago.

K.02.05.png

Editorial Reviews
    About the Author
    Recently debuted in the first edition of the martial arts magazine, Ninjutsu, Shidoshi Bryce Dallas the, "Big Ninja in a Little Town," was featured in a seven page article regarding his in-depth knowledge and extensive training in Konigun Ninjutsu; an eight-hundred year old art from Japan. Konigun Ninjutsu originated in Kagoshima, Japan on the southern island of Kyushu in the year 1196 A.D. by the Gregorian calendar. Bryce Dallas began training under the instruction of Shidoshi Saija the 36th, sometimes written as Saiga, in 1972. In 1981 Bryce Dallas received his mastership in Konigun Ninjutsu after 9 years of training and was licensed to begin teaching in the United States therefore opening his first school in Grenada, Mississippi. In December of 1985 Bryce Dallas was promoted to the rank of Shidoshi making him the 37th Shidoshi and the first American Shidoshi of the Konigun Ryu. Thus beginning the American legacy. Upon receiving his promotion to the rank of Shidoshi Mr. Dallas began writing and translating the actual rank system from the Japanese scrolls to English. For the past 15 years Shidoshi Dallas has continued the translation of the rank system and recently finished his translation for the ranking system from uchideshi (apprentice) through the rank of 4th degree. The finished training manual is a definitive text on Konigun Ninjutsu and is written in English and Japanese. The training manual is packed with history, philosophy, weapons and equipment guides, as well as precise instructions on every technique with over 160 illustrations.

This is the text above from the Amazon sales article. As you can also see he misspelled Saija as Saiga. All punctuation and grammar errors aside we also see the claims that he began training in 1972 and in 1981 received his mastership after nine years. It further states he began teaching in Grenada, MS. This is consistent with the previous statements by “Wayne” in the last article who stated that through many of the years he claimed to be in Japan, he was actually learning from magazines such as Black Belt. A final note is the use of the term “Shidoshi,” which is usually prevalent to the Bujinkan. However, in the film Bloodsport (which seems to be we have to keep coming back to due to his use of the story from it in terms of origins) Van Damme’s character called his teacher Shidoshi also.

I believe here is why Bryce uses that term so much. One, he can relate himself to a legitimate style such as the Bujinkan and throw off any questions and two, because of the relatability of the film Bloodsport. Now mind you it was not until around 1985 or 1986 that he actively was using this term according to sources. And even then he was not publicly offering ninjutsu per se. He was calling it Konigun Karate. Former members of that class as well as those who knew him then said he would constantly say that anything above 5th degree (Godan in Japanese martial arts ranks) was a ninja.

Further information provided comes from Konigun in Indonesia.

China & Ninjutsu (History)

Though Ninjutsu itself originated in Japan many of its techniques trace back to Ancient China. As many of the techniques were passed down in secret historical evidence is often sketchy (try finding records of classified US military operations in history books). It is painfully obvious that much of Ninjutsu, by the very virtue of its clandestine nature, would be shrouded in obscurity and lack of records/evidence.

There are many items, however, pointing to the link between Ninjutsu and China.

Konigun ninjutsu itself was adapted by Saija from his training by the Yamabushi priests some 800 years ago. It is fairly widely accepted that the Yamabushi derived many of their techniques from Chinese refugees subsequent to the fall of the T'sang Dynasty.

It has also been suggested that a Chinese warrior by the name of Chang Busho founded the Koto Ryu Koppojutsu clan of Ninjutsu. One need only look at his name to recognize the connection between him & Bushido, the code of the warrior that governs the conduct of all ninja.

Many of the weapons of ninjutsu are also of Chinese origin. I will shortly be writing an article on the influence of Chinese weaponry on Ninjutsu, especially Konigun.

Moreover, Kyushu was the route through which many exiled & fleeing Shaolin monks passed seeking refuge in Japan, as well as many Ming dynasty rebels and Fujianese from Taiwan.

Some scholars also cite the Lin Kuei (Forest Ghosts- sometimes spelled Lin Gui, Lin Quai, or Lin Kwai) as forerunners to the Ninja. These early shadow warriors were primarily assassins. While historical evidence of the Lin Kuei is vague, the connection is still probably a reasonable supposition.

Taken from the link: China & Ninjutsu (History)

According to Bryce Dallas’ original stories Konigun Ninjutsu is descended from Chinese Monks and refugees, made into a fighting style by mountain priests and then Christianized somewhere before the official arrival of Christianity in Japan in 1549 from Portuguese Christian Monks.

Why would Bryce make this claim of Konigun Ninjutsu being a Christian-based martial art? The answer is simple. He was hiding behind it to attract would-be students to his groups and dojo. He was also hiding his true nature behind the claim.

Even within the style of Konigun has been those who have tried to make connections to the Chinese arts with their lineage. One such person was Trey Woodford who began his training under Jim Haynes in Indonesia. Some years ago on his own website Trey posted pictures from a trip to China claiming two golden Buddha statues he had found in the museum there were a significant piece of evidence of the connection between Konigun and Shaolin.
    K.02.06.png
    Screenshot taken from: Shaolin/Ninjutsu Connection

K.02.07.png
    Trey Woodford and his instructor (and only known current Konigun Instructor) Jim Haynes.

Below, Jim Haynes (center) and students in Indonesia. Trey Woodford is on the far right.
    K.02.08.jpg

So, What’s the Truth?

In 1985 Bryce Dallas was teaching in Grenada, MS. He was married. We know this. His wife was named Tamara. He was offering a system known as Konigun Karate and he taught it at a local skating rink which is now a bar. I have mentioned this karate style before. His intention? To take all his knowledge and ability gained from the annals of Black Belt Magazine and place it to bear in a cohesive format, add to it what he stole from a gentleman by the name of Roger Williams, and you now have Konigun Karate (later Ninjutsu.)

Bryce did not want to train. He did not want to put in the hard work and time to get better. He wanted instant results so he could establish dominance in his own life and over the lives of others he “taught.”

Roger Williams, who was interviewed in a separate article by Cayce Lancaster, was trained in Shotokan and Isshin Ryu Karate to some degree. According to his statements during his interview Roger discussed Bryce’s ability to fraud his way through training because of his size. Roger was a fairly seasoned martial artist and knew what he was doing. As a result as is the case with any of us who do train for longer than a year we can see a phony right off.

Roger was one of the primary people who would impact the history of this style more so than almost anyone else in it’s infancy. Roger was by all accounts a legitimate fighter and practitioner in the area. He had a friendly sparring match with Bryce, and Bryce went around telling everyone he had “kicked his ass.” Roger, not taking it lying down, went to Bryce’s class at a local Marina and challenged him to a fight. Roger beat Bryce in front of all of his students and even managed to injure the larger man. He beat him so badly that Bryce lost all of his students and departed Grenada soon afterwards.

It was here that I think and believe that Bryce evolved his lie about the system he developed. Bryce needed a hook. Karate was fading in popularity, but Ninja and the mysterious art of Ninjutsu were on the rise thanks to movies starring Sho Kosugi, books by Ashida Kim, and seminars offered by Stephen K. Hayes fresh from a few years of training in Japan with the Soke of the Bujinkan organization. Ninjutsu was the key to finding what he needed.
    K.02.09.png
    Bryce Dallas in the mid-1980’s.

Bryce began to realize that the way for him to capitalize on the martial arts he loved so much (so much he didn’t want to disgrace them by learning from a legitimate teacher of any kind) he would have to develop a foolproof story that would allow him to hide his faults behind the venerable appearance of a true master while adding legitimacy to his fledgling style. He would stick to small towns where knowledge of martial arts was minimal at best and would set himself up as a venerable person who would help anyone that needed it. Also, as a caveat, he would make “overtures” to other martial arts practitioners as the years went on and bring them on board at the ground-floor, helping them offer Konigun Ninjutsu at their schools (more on that later.)

I believe that by combining the personality and aspects of his principal Mr. Drake and Roger Williams he was able to create the persona for Ensei Saija. The tough guiding mentor figure in his life combined with the man who could (and did) beat him in front of his students. Using movies to help him develop his cover story, Bryce would be able to come up with a story that enabled him to hide his true motives from the world. He was a hustler at heart, just like his dad was reported to have been. And despite all of his vows to not be like his dad Bryce was using his playbook to make it in life at this point.

Forsaking school and his education he took his wife Tamara and moved to Jackson, MS. And this is where the art of Konigun Ninjutsu truly was born.

17. Gerald Greysmith

The group does still exist, though in decimated form in Wartburg, TN. I have visited the school.

Additionally yes, there are many survivors of this group who are still alive and demanding answers. Bryce Dallas hurt them.

To answer another question, we need to use this group and groups like them as a warning to our martial arts community. That is why I wrote the articles. This group has caused a lot of issues for even non-practitioners. Lawsuits that hurt people financially (Cookeville, TN and a retired law enforcement officer named Robert Holmes, for example.)

Groups like Konigun Ninjutsu that are founded by characters such as Bryce Dallas (twice convicted conman, master of insurance fraud) who use mafia-style tactics to silence detractors in and out of our community need to be watched and watched carefully. Look at individuals also, Ralph Bartel who defrauded his way through the BJJ community and was only stopped once he committed murder. Or as recent as last month when Karate instructor Luke Bacula was sentenced for child molestation. Lastly what about Ron Collins who even in prison now claims to be a ninja master, but was caught attempting to solicit young girls. These people use their positions to hurt others at will. That's why we need to never forget who these frauds were.

He may be gone but his legacy continues to this day in the remaining students. And if it is anything like what he was then we cannot abide by such a thing.

I'd like to ensure that the research I've completed with the help of member White Belt can be viewed as a warning to all of us to not let frauds be taken lightly. Bryce Dallas came from a town of less than 200 people and grew an organization based on a lie to an international group using the training it offered to hide various crimes. He did it stealing the lie perpetuated by Frank Dux. Yes, he stole the storyline of another questionable person to forge his own history.

He sued E-Budo, and had plans to also silence MAP as well in a similar fashion. Luckily that never happened. Let us all agree to never let that happen. As a community we need to watch over ourselves and put a stop to things before they get too far gone.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    White Belt likes this.
  18. White Belt

White Belt Ender's Jeesh

So after the solid beating Bryce Dallas took from one Mr. Roger Williams in Grenada, Mississippi sometime in 1985, he removed himself from the area and along with his wife reset his life in Jackson, Mississippi. Mr. Williams showing Bryce up in front of his students, however, would have far-reaching effects on the man unlike what most people in his position at that time would suffer. No, Bryce learned then and there he needed a better story and possibly to learn some more material to cover his ill-conceived methods as they were shown up by a man who was legitimate.

Not a lot is known about Bryce in those days in terms of his personal life with the exception that, yes, he was in fact married. Yes, he was in fact involved in teaching Konigun Ninjutsu in an infantile version of what it would become. Yes, he was involved in crimes around his immediate area. And yes, finally, he was convicted and incarcerated in prison twice in these years, and this would continue until 1996 when he put prison behind him.

Bryce Dallas was evolving. His character, his mindset, his entire perspective on life was becoming something beyond what he once was. The damage done to him in his early life as told to me by childhood friend Wayne, to the abuse he allegedly suffered at his father’s hands, to the bruising of his ego that Roger Williams landed on him…all of this was coming to bear in the mind of a man who would face conviction and prison only to emerge on the other side a completely different kind of animal than he had been before. He would be a success story no matter the cost. Sadly this cost usually came against the people who knew him or were close to him.

This is key now. What Bryce did here in this time period would for the remainder of his life define him. Two incarcerations, learning to be a better criminal, learning to hide himself in plain sight. Maybe that’s why he called himself a Ninja…maybe this is why he decided to make himself over into some kind of shadow warrior. To hide better in plain sight.

Worse still was the fact that Bryce Dallas was about to learn how to use the legal system to his benefit, but only after it was used on him. 1992 was a learning experience for the young and aspiring master of Konigun. That was the year he took ninja fantasy to the next level and this time he brought along students who wanted to be just like him. But being like Bryce Dallas could have hard effects on a person’s life once it has begun.

K.03.01.png
    From the 2002 article “Big Ninja” which would come soon after the events that would ultimately shape the final years of Bryce Dallas’ life and history. This will be important to remember for later as this article was the precipice by which Bryce Dallas would shoulder forward his training system and ultimately his far-fetched story.

Article Three: The Fugitive Ninja
    K.03.02.png
    By Gerald Greysmith

It was 1991 when Bryce Dallas was still fresh out of prison from his previous stint over a counterfeiting charge. In 1987 Bryce, along with his then first wife, accompanied by his then-student Kevin Posey, all ran from those charges in Mississippi and were found in Colorado not long afterwards. Bryce was promptly returned to Mississippi to face the charges and sentenced to prison.
    K.03.03.jpg
    Bryce Dallas and Kevin Posey circa 1985 or 1986

After he was released one would think that maybe this was a wake-up call to the aspiring ninja master. Perhaps this time around he would seek to make his life more straight and narrow. Were it me I would have finished my education and completed my degree, perhaps settled back into normalcy and put this nonsense behind me.

But as we have seen, Bryce was a creature of habit. Of routine. He was also smart enough to know where he went wrong and would change the game to fit a new and better narrative. Just as he had done in Grenada, MS when Roger Williams beat him down in front of his class Bryce had then learned an important lesson. You had to have a stronger story that could shield you from the outside world. While I do not doubt his jovial personality to have been sincere, it was only one part of the man.

It was from the previous incarceration Bryce was claiming his brother, Phillip Raymond Dallas, was the true culprit and he also claimed to have taken the fall for it. This doesn’t discount the fact that Bryce rented the equipment. Police also had proof he had purchased inks. And why? To make fake money, specifically 10 and 20 dollar bills to pass along in the local area.

But now here we are in the early 1990’s and Bryce’s crimes would take a whole new level and turn themselves upside down from his previous capers.

Konigun Night Missions

Let us now visit Crystal Springs, Mississippi.
    K.03.04.png

Enter a man by the name of Rusty Knight.

Rusty Knight was a standard local man. He had a taste for alcohol and fun. He was a country boy by all standards of the locals who knew him. He enjoyed his motorcycles. He had cars. He seemed from the outside and specifically to someone like Bryce Dallas as an easy mark to steal from.

By this point in his life Bryce was fully-fledged and committed to the ideals of Konigun Ninjutsu. No longer teaching Konigun Karate he was operating a small but dedicated training group in the area around Jackson, Mississippi. Not only were they training in what he called Ninjutsu but he had them believe they served the higher ideals of the law and justice was theirs to give to those deserving.

“We dressed as ninja, we trained and operated in shadows,” stated one former member of the group who asked to be called Samuel. “Bryce told us several times about this guy by the name of Rusty Knight who he claimed was a local drug dealer.”

By drug dealer, Bryce actually meant that Rusty was a target ripe for the picking. Rusty was the epitome of what Bryce wanted to be. He seemed successful. He had women. He had money, at least that’s what Bryce informed his students. “All of it,” Samuel said, “gained from the sale and distribution of drugs.”

The large man saw nothing but gain from Rusty. No one knows why he came to the attention of Bryce during that time except that the budding ninja developed an almost-obsession with Rusty believing he had in his toilet, money strapped to the inside of the lid, fancy cars and a lot of drugs.

“He told us the police were no good, they wouldn’t do anything,” Samuel told me. He continued to inform me that Bryce was determined to “take Rusty down and bring justice to everyone he had hurt.”

When pressed on this Samuel said that Bryce claimed Rusty had sold drugs to a kid in their class and she had overdosed on it. In the mind of Bryce Dallas this was enough to bring him against Rusty whether it was true or not.

And so he sent students to scope out Rusty’s home. They were determined to prove their worth to the master. The plan was simple. They would survey his home for a while, learn his patterns, his comings and goings, and finally who he was friends with. From there Bryce plotted, as Samuel says, “to have a plainclothes member knock on the door, and then have a fully garbed member attack Rusty.”

What was their plan when they attacked him? To hogtie him and leave him for the police, Batman and Gotham City-Style.

Instead of hogtying the man, however, Bryce’s students met someone with a bit more firepower than they originally thought.

As former student Samuel stated, “Some of the students began taking shifts watching Rusty’s home at that time. One particular night they were up there in the woods behind his home and he was having a party. There was drinking and such going on. Suddenly Rusty and his guys pulled out guns and started shooting them into the woods in the direction of the students.”

These students, according to Samuel, were watching closely to see if they could find a weakness in the home or a possible way to get in after Rusty. It almost cost them their lives, and not because Rusty knew they were there. On the contrary he and his friends were just shooting guns, much as many people who live in rural areas tend to do.

“The students said later they ran as hard as they could,” Samuel said, “they managed to make it to their car and get away, change behind a local store, and report back to Bryce.”

Some of the senior people in the group were not happy with this development. While they were ready to believe their teacher and leader, they also felt kids were not ready to do such an activity. Bryce casually swept this off as “good training.”

This event, however, was what it took as a catalyst to propel Bryce to go after Rusty more so than ever before. His schemes, according to Samuel, were becoming more and more brazen and complex. But he stuck at first to the original idea.

According to the news article Rusty was ambushed in the home by Bryce’s student and roommate, one Bennie Meyers. Bennie was also injured in this event by taking a shot to the hand.
    K.03.05.png
    A scan of the actual newspaper article covering the Rusty Knight Break-In Episode.

Samuel clarified this story to me by phone. He stated that the students went with the original plan to lure Rusty to the door, and have a fully-garbed ninja student attack Rusty as he came out. Unfortunately for them Rusty was not an inexperienced fighter himself. Upon seeing the street-clothed student at his door Rusty was immediately suspicious. Rusty then reacted as soon as he saw the “ninja” appear. Rusty shut the door before they could act. The ninja? Bennie Meyers.

Samuel said he was present at the scene when this all went down. And he said Rusty, upon slamming the door, could be heard yelling at a woman in the home to “grab his guns,” as she was screaming for help. Rusty reappeared at the door with a firearm and opened fire. Bennie was injured and everyone ran away.

At this point any sane human being would consider that this “ninja master” would be full of it, as well as himself, to ask students to put themselves in danger. But Bryce, as has been stated, was able to use his charisma to convince many students to remain loyal. He hatched other plans over time, though none thankfully came to fruition.

Bringing Down the Shidoshi of Konigun

It wasn’t until sometime later that a local police officer had suspicions on Bryce Dallas and his involvement. As luck would have it, however, one of the students was placed, according to Samuel, into custody with juvenile offenses. This officer, a Robert Kirkland, paid a visit to the student and began to ask questions. The student admitted the entire affair to him. Coupled with the fact of a recent arrest of Rusty Knight, his story corroborated with the student and they had enough to go after Bryce Dallas for his second conviction.

A search of the legal papers online for example, verify that Bryce Dallas did in fact plead guilty to burglary of a dwelling (https://cases.justia.com/mississippi/court-of-appeals/CO49143.pdf?ts=1396128033) and as such years after the fact asked for the conviction to be expunged from his record.

Dr. Bryce Dallas pleaded guilty to burglary of a dwelling. Thereafter, Dallas filed a motion entitled, “Petition for Relief.” The Circuit Court of Copiah County dismissed Dallas’s petition. On appeal, Dallas argues that the circuit court erred by dismissing his petition and asserts the following assignments of error: (1) he filed this motion under Mississippi Rule of Civil Procedure 60, (2) he is suffering ongoing state and federal constitutional violations by hate groups, (3) he claims he is innocent, (4) he is entitled to constitutional equality, and (5) other grounds. We affirm the circuit court’s dismissal.

One of the more interesting points in this paperwork that stood out to me was this:

Clearly, Dallas’s petition for relief is barred. Even though Dallas styled his petition as a “Petition For Relief,” it is, in fact, a motion for post-conviction collateral relief because Dallas argues that his guilty plea was involuntary.

Another student who asked to be called Daniel stated that Bryce was insistent that his own students wanted to go after Rusty as much as he did. Therefore when things went bad he was coerced by the police to protect them and plead guilty to the crimes he was accused of.

Mind you, with all I have so far stated about Bryce Dallas (all of it also verifiable) he was consistently blaming his issues in life on others. This served two points. One, he could amend others of his guilt. That means he could make people think he was never at fault. However, he would also use this to show he was a great man and willing to protect others.

The second reason was Bryce was a narcissist. He had a huge ego. To admit he had any reason to be behind these schemes would be to admit he was wrong. And in the few phone calls I had with him this came through in our conversations as he would never admit to anything. He merely stated what he wanted you to think about him. In turn I truly believe this was what he felt about himself, also.

Aftermath

Dallas filed his petition for post-conviction collateral relief pro se with a return address in Tennessee. Furthermore, Dallas’s sentence expired over eight years ago. We can only conclude that Dallas is no longer a prisoner in Mississippi and is living in Tennessee. Thus, the circuit court did not have jurisdiction and correctly dismissed Dallas’s petition because Dallas no longer meets the initial requirement for any petition for post-conviction collateral relief, which is to be incarcerated in Mississippi.

In 2008, three years or so after he came to my attention, I found this document while working on another relatable case (not related, just similar) and followed it to the online sources. Notice the term PRO SE in the above mentioned dialogue. Bryce was usually the one to file legal paperwork on his own and under his own steam.

This is also important as during the time he was alive Bryce learned the value of using legal loopholes to his advantage. He would do this across all of his frivolous lawsuits. He would use this tactic many times to come. And his convictions only served to make him a better criminal.

So in 1991 he was sent off to prison. And he would be there until at least 1995 or 1996. It was after this incarceration the man we knew as Dr. Bryce Frederick Dallas would come fully to bear against the martial arts world and begin to come to the attention of everyone who could, and would, ultimately be relevant to his undoing.

Dead_pool likes this.
  19. Dead_pool

This is a very enjoyable read, I think I remember him being featured in no ja magazines back in the day!

Quick question, was his Dr prefix also fake? Or did he gain a PhD somehow?

White Belt likes this.
  20. Dead_pool

So I did a little digging on the OP's blog. He bought a fake diploma in "martial science" so not a Doctor, PhD, medical or otherwise!

White Belt and axelb like this.