Konichiwa MAP!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by RexKwonDo Jones, Jan 25, 2013.

1. RexKwonDo Jones

RexKwonDo Jones Valued Member

My name's Rex Jones, I'm 21, just joined today. I'm excited to be here, for some reason it never occurred to me that there would even BE martial arts forums, durrr. I just happened across this site and I'm pretty stoked about how active this community is.

My martial arts background is not the most formal or extensive. I have only briefly trained in two dojos, but I have been fortunate enough to have met a few talented fighters who have lent quite a bit of instruction. In dojos I have learned Judo (blue belt) and Tae Kwon Do (brown belt). That was from the ages of about 10 to 15, but long before I was getting in many a recess brawl in my kindergarten days :evil: In fact, my inclination to fight was such that my grandmother decided I needed to be sent to catholic school :rolleyes: But the truth is I very much dislike hurting others. Fighting to me is a contest of skill and perception, the most direct form of human competition. It is invigorating, helps you define yourself, and is pretty fun!

In addition to the above mentioned dojos, I have personally trained under a black belt of Okinawan karate, Steven, and his own master, Carl Light. Steven also sang in my band whilst I lived with him in North Carolina :cool:

But by far, I am most fortunate to have met a former naval officer of 28, Jake Johnson. He has studied countless styles and incorporated all their best elements into his own unique, fluid, personal style. But the greatest thing he taught me was Qi Gong, the practice of energy cultivation and meditation which extends far beyond the realm of martial arts. Qi Gong is something I try (and often fail) to live passionately.

And aside from punchin' stuff, I also love to play funky bass and have a bit of a Skyrim addiction :hat:

Things I hope to find in this community:
    Sparring partners, instructors, or general philosophers in the Florida area! I don't know a single martial artist here, other than MMA gym junkies :bang: Also, plenty of friends to drink with, yet I often long for deep discussion which just never seems to happen.

Tips on exercising and honing moves! I'm always looking to punch harder and faster :) I have a very basic routine consisting of running, sit-ups, push-ups, and some obscure and esoteric Qi Gong exercises. I'd love to hear how you guys keep sharp!

People with knowledge of swordsmanship!! Fighting unarmed is well and good, but I must admit, my true love is the sword. I have a particular fetish for the katana. But I love discussing ALL things bladed. Give me a sword over a gun any day!

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Welcome to MAP. :)

Mitch

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Welcome to MAP.

Pop on over to the weapons forum, there's quite a few of us sword bods over there.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

5. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Skinny lot, eh?

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Exactly where they should be! :D

There are quite a few here who share your enthusiasm for Skyrim too!

7. Dean Winchester

We have to be! Have you seen how big your hips look in a Hakama :eek:

8. RexKwonDo Jones

Chadderz, are you of the Floridian cloth?

9. Pretty In Pink

Nah man, I know a good karate place though, called Gambette Karate. They are doin quite well in amateur MMA just now too.

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Welcome - as long as you hate Altmer we will get on fine!

FUS RO DAH!!!

11. RexKwonDo Jones

My heart is in the mountains of Orsimer. But I promise I won't eat anybody's horse!

12. Pretty In Pink

Tesco doesn't agree. XD

13. RexKwonDo Jones

I'm dying to play that ish just so I can finally journey to the land of the mysterious Akavir :hat:

14. Dean Winchester

Rex,

Is that you pictured in your avatar ?

15. RexKwonDo Jones

Yup! In Japan wearing samurai armor and the whole nine yards!

16. Dean Winchester

Were you training over there?

17. RexKwonDo Jones

In several ways, yes. But I was mostly there for the meditation and sushi :)

18. Dean Winchester

Any Budo training?

19. RexKwonDo Jones

No, but I do find the philosophy utterly fascinating. I was mostly brushing up on sword techniques and learned a bit of archery, unfortunately didn't have time to pursue the hand styles. I would LOVE to return, I could very happily live there studying fighting and philosophy for the rest of my existence :)

EDIT: just realized that archery and swordsmanship fall rather neatly into the category of Arts of War... so yeah I guess I did learn a little Budo, though it wasn't particularly expressed to me as such :p

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  20. RexKwonDo Jones

Also, best mountain runs EVAR