Knuckle pushups help weak wrists?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Poop-Loops, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

I have very weak wrists. Whenever I do punch my bag (a wavemaster), I'll be going under 30% power, and I'll still be hurting my wrists (left one actually, right one is fine most of the time) by having it just bend under the pressure. I know I'm aligning right, I've been shown how, and it works with my right hand. So, does doing knuckle push ups help my wrists get stronger, or should I just punch lighter until it gets stronger by itself?

PL

2. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Do knuckle pushups, maintaining alignment between your hand and forearm. Continue punching no harder or faster than you can execute correctly.

Maybe get an x-ray...

Rgds,
    David

3. Xio

Xio Controlled Chaos

Make sure you haven't got some injury. Get yourself some 'CALCIUM' too. There's soooo much debating about knuckle PU's but i think they're for the good. I dunno.....just work up in your training so as not to hurt yourself on the bag and stuff. Try empting some stuff out of your bag if it's heavy, you can hit it harder that way and there will be less stress on your joints. Then you can start putting weight back into the bag.

4. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

I'd recommend less calcium, if anything. It's a toxin in the blood which wears-out the bones when they have to clear it up.

The dairy lobby have a lot to answer for, more perhaps than the sugar lobby.

5. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

There's nothing wrong with it, it's just weaker. I've always known that. I can do pull-ups all right with it, it's just the muscles to stabilize the wrist aren't as strong.

I get all the calcium I need from eating 350ml of ice cream a day. :p

PL

6. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

I've done knuckle pushups for a long time. I don't know if my wrists got any stronger, maybe they did, maybe they didn't. I think they did though.

7. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

sometimes, poop-loops, life just bites you in the ass with an annoying disadvantage. trust me, weak wrists aren't as bad as a double-jointed middle knuckle.

8. sl33p

sl33p New Member

ahh, i had this problem before too. all i did for it to get better was to punch the bag hard enough that you dont injur yourself, but not light enough that it wont strengthen. everyone should have this problem, its just lack of punching and your not used to the pressure of full power. i dont have a one day fix for it but just keep at the bag for a while.

my problem is now fixed.. its just i still cant hit 100% yet because im afraid my knuckles are going to break even though i train them quite a bit each week.

9. HearWa

HearWa Ow, that hurt...

I've done knuckle pushups since last summer. Unfortunately, I'm going to the doctor soon to get my wrist checked out. Wear wrist wraps everytime you do a heavy bag workout. Trust me.

10. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

I'll buy some.

But, does using them still make your wrists stronger when doing bag work, or does it stop your wrists from getting stronger since it does all the work for them? Because 0n t3h s7r337, I won't have any wrist wraps. :(

PL

11. alexxlea

alexxlea Valued Member

It prevents injuries, which is good, because what good are injured/broken wrists on the streets?

12. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

...good point... :p

PL

13. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

Wraps keep your wrist aligned straight, and help develop good striking technique along the way. They're not just good for punches either, but other MA techniques like knifehands, ridgehands and backfists. Of course, it's not a good idea to use them ALL the time, you still need some good old bare knuckle bag-bashing as well, to increase your impact power.

14. Xio

Xio Controlled Chaos

I use a heavy bag with no gloves, nothing. I'm thinking now i should use them, but i've never had any serious injuries to my wrists on the bag before. and i do knuckle push ups too.

15. alexxlea

alexxlea Valued Member

You should at least use wraps, because bare-fisted "conditioning" only leads to calcitrants (spelling...) and arthritis.

16. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Punching with wraps/gloves on will lead to you being able to punch well above what your wrist can cope with no wraps.

The first time you need to defend yourself and give someone a good punch on the street you will probably injure your wrist. reducing your chances of being able to defend yourself.

For heavy bagwork I tend mix it up wearing 16oz gloves, bag gloves and no gloves. If you try this you will realise that the more protection you have the harder you can hit.

17. C-Fugazi

C-Fugazi New Member

You wont strengthnen your wrists with knuckle push ups.You will only work the muscles in your arms etc you wont and cant strengthen bone by exercising.As Alexxalea wrote you are better off wrapping your wrists and hands to give more support to your wrists.
    If you want to give your wrists a work out use a barbell.Hold it out at arms length and bend your wrists downwards and then upwards.Maybe it would be best if you use two stress balls and sqeeze them at arms length whislt moving your wrists inthe way I explained.I hope this helps mate.